JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1501)
Old

Car: 335i F30
Default 01-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Looking forward to this option for the pneumatic wastegate

2019 F90 M5 | JB4 | BMS Elite Intakes | E30
Goodbye old friend - 2013 F10 M5 | PS2 | JB4+BCM | Bootmod3 | BMS Intake | BMS CP's | ER **'s | SSP Spec-R | Meth
Goodbye old friend - 2012 F30 335i | PURE stage 2 turbo | JB4 | BMS intake | ER down pipe | ER charge pipe | ER FMIC | E60 | Meth
(#1502)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 01-27-2015, 12:42 AM

As always happy to test new stuff. However no working can flaps in my car any more

F21 M140i - 100-200: 5.18 60-130: 5.96
Audi TTRS - 100-200: 4.01 60-130: 4.5
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.32, 60-130: 4.8
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#1503)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Terry, any word on if this will work on cars w/o navigation or enhanced BT? Without nav, that button on the steering wheel does nothing.
(#1504)
Old

Default 01-27-2015, 06:38 PM

CAN Flap? Are you speaking about exhaust flaps like on a 550? I didn't know there were any on a 2012 535. What did I miss?
(#1505)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Terry, any word on if this will work on cars w/o navigation or enhanced BT? Without nav, that button on the steering wheel does nothing.
I hope so! Try it and let me know!

I'm also looking in to other button ideas.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1506)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-27-2015, 07:31 PM

The firmware has been working well so I added it to the first post to expand testing.

Firmware Updates:
N55_FSERIES_EWG_2_9A: Added CAN Flap per DEMO video
N55_FSERIES_8_12: Added CAN Flap per DEMO video

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1507)
Old

Car: BMW M135i F20
Default 01-28-2015, 05:34 AM

Hey all,

Here is my video of it.

Not 100% sure if I enabled the right mode. I long-pressed the voice button and then pressed it again twice (to enable mode 2).

I think it feels a bit more free-er? Rev's a bit more easily when not gunning it, which is nice.
(#1508)
Old

Car: F30 335i
Default 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM

I just updated to the latest firmware (8_12) and the CAN flap feature works really well.
Thanks you Terry for keeping us pneumatic guys in the update loop!

quick question: Does the JB4 CAN flap setting retain the last input or will it always reset to the default after the power is cycled off/on?

F30 335i, JB4, dec4tted, BMS intake, CG Precision Exhaust
(#1509)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-28-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_h10
I just updated to the latest firmware (8_12) and the CAN flap feature works really well.
Thanks you Terry for keeping us pneumatic guys in the update loop!

quick question: Does the JB4 CAN flap setting retain the last input or will it always reset to the default after the power is cycled off/on?
Nice! It retains it's setting. In the interface it's stored under the field cps1500. 0 is OEM operation, 1 is always open, and 2 is always closed (except for WOT).

Burger Motorsports

(#1510)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-28-2015, 08:46 PM

Just as a general comment I've had a couple customers email in and ask about the processor speed of the JB4 system. It was an odd question so I looked around and found yet another company is trying to push an analog only system for twice the price of a JB4. This time they are making wild claims like the JB4 is too slow to tune properly, their system is smoother, etc. Complete nonsense. I'm going to jump on a soapbox for a moment.

Just for the record, with the JB4 we're only using a fraction of the processing power and memory available. And that includes running a full CANbus system & RS232 communications system that none of these other systems include. All analog sensor signals are run at 10-bit @ 300hz which exceeds the sensors resolution. We could run it at 1000hz if we wanted with plenty of power to spare. We also include controls for the wastegate and fuel mass that the other systems don't. These other analog only systems can't change maps in dash, can't limit boost in 1st and 2nd gear, can't monitor AFR, timing, throttle, can't offer any meaningful safety systems, can't autotune, can't read/delete codes, can't run the exhaust flapper, etc, etc, etc. They can't even read the gas pedal position to transition in boost smoothly as a function of pedal input.

They are effectively like our Stage1 only instead of recognizing and planning for the limitations of an analog only system and tuning it safely within its parameters, like adding 3psi or 4psi over stock as we do with Stage1, they crank boost up higher than should be with an analog only system and hype up their marketing to try to sell them. These other piggybacks can't even produce a simple datalog. It's a bit sad to read how they pray on uninformed customers with an inferior product for twice the price.

Anyway, back off my soap-box. If anyone emails asking about processor speed I'll refer them to this post.

Burger Motorsports

(#1511)
Old

Car: '08 535i 6AT
Default 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
CAN Flap? Are you speaking about exhaust flaps like on a 550? I didn't know there were any on a 2012 535. What did I miss?
This was my thought, also. Do the F10 535i cars (mine is a 2011) have CAN flaps? I know my 335 cars did, and my E60 535i also had it, but never thought about it with my F10 535i.

I grabbed the updated F series hex (non EWG), I guess I will give it a try. The video is a little confusing on how to change settings with the phone button, I assume it's the same as map changing...hold it for a few seconds (which will also put it in mode 0 default), then press again once or twice to get it to mode 1 (always open) or mode 2 (always closed except under WOT).

Can anyone confirm the F10 535 cars have CAN flaps?

Last edited by Force[FED]; 01-29-2015 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: clarification
(#1512)
Old

Car: BMW F20 m135i
Default 01-29-2015, 08:43 AM

Force fed,

535i has canflap in one of its 2 exhaust tailpipes.

BP

F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
(#1513)
Old

Car: BMW F20 m135i
Default 01-29-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Nice! It retains it's setting. In the interface it's stored under the field cps1500. 0 is OEM operation, 1 is always open, and 2 is always closed (except for WOT).
Terry - canflap control works fine on an UK m135i. Thanks, BP.

F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
(#1514)
Old

Car: '08 535i 6AT
Default 01-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Force fed,

BP
Thanks for info, Bee Pee!
(#1515)
Old

Car: f30 335
Default 01-29-2015, 01:47 PM

Hey T,

Do you have this done yet for the f30 ISO firmware yet?. Also how would this work for the manual tranny guys?
(#1516)
Old

Car: Bmw M135i
Default 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Terry, I've found a few occasions where the flap returns to normal operation (I.e closed) when it has been in mode 2 and should have stayed open.
It did it first thing this morning during start up, I selected mode 2 with the ignition turned on and heard the flap open. I then started the car and checked that both pipes were flowing, they were. Before the end of the cold start cycle I heard the flap actuator and when I checked the left pipe had stopped flowing. I toggled back through to mode 2 again and it re-opened.

The second time it happened was when I switched between driving modes, I was in eco -pro and selected mode 2 to open the left pipe up, the exhaust went all bassy so I knew it had opened. Later on I switched to comfort mode and the exhaust seemed to quieten up.
I toggled to mode 3 closed and the exhaust sounder the same, when I went back to mode 2 it got all bassy and deep again so obviously opened up?
(#1517)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM

Hmm could be a bug. Email in and I can help you sort it out. Be sure to also let me know the software version being used.

Burger Motorsports

(#1518)
Old

Car: 2011 F10
Default 02-03-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Force fed,

BP
The F10 535 does not have the CAN flap.

2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, Technology Package, M Sport Package, Executive Package delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
(#1519)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 02-03-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2
Looking forward to this option for the pneumatic wastegate
Terry AFAIK the flap opens when I select sport mode, if I use this feature the flap will open the same way?
(#1520)
Old

Car: M135i xDrive
Default 02-03-2015, 01:30 PM

Hi,

I see the first post have been updated with alternative firmwares.
However, I'm confused - which alternative do I chose for my stock pneumatic M135i, 8_10 or 8_12b? - i.e. what's a trans flash and why do I want to remove it?

BMW M135i xDrive
(#1521)
Old

Car: BMW M135i
Default 02-04-2015, 08:48 AM

Both versions of FW are the same bar the can flap control...
(#1522)
Old

Car: f10 535i '15
Default help - 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM

Hi Terry,

I know Payam emailed you yesterday on this... hoping we can find a solution. After trying all day he could not find a way to get to the EWG to get my car boosting properly. After checking around it seems like no one has done a new 2015 535i w/ N55 and JB4 before and the EWG is totally in access-able.

Ive got so much done to the car now, meth kit, etc. I don't want to call it quits and go back. Is there any way to splice into the EWG wires some where else? Any possible other solution?

I imagine there's going to be more and more people in my situation soon, its hard to believe I am the first. But if I am there must be some type of solution we can come up with.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks a ton.

Best,
Skyler
(#1523)
Old

Car: 535i M sport
Default N55 F10 JB4 Install video yet? - 02-05-2015, 06:47 AM

I am only finding the n54 n55 f30 stage1... I cant find install for a 2011+ F10 on the JB4. The other vids I see make the install on other models a nightmare, I read, went thru printed, studied and still dont want to install my JB4 on my 2013 535i.
I read thru about 24 pages of this thread and figured I would just ask if anything has been updated from what I can find.
Just got my kit 2 days ago and have their BMS intake comming later today.

Anyway, any simplified F10 Specific installs for JB4?
(#1524)
Old

Car: 335i F30
Default 02-05-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg561
I am only finding the n54 n55 f30 stage1... I cant find install for a 2011+ F10 on the JB4. The other vids I see make the install on other models a nightmare, I read, went thru printed, studied and still dont want to install my JB4 on my 2013 535i.
I read thru about 24 pages of this thread and figured I would just ask if anything has been updated from what I can find.
Just got my kit 2 days ago and have their BMS intake comming later today.

Anyway, any simplified F10 Specific installs for JB4?
Go back to the first post of this thread. There is an install link underneath the videos and user adjustment image. Here's a link directly to the PDF just in case you don't see what I'm referencing- http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...7&d=1402085419

2019 F90 M5 | JB4 | BMS Elite Intakes | E30
Goodbye old friend - 2013 F10 M5 | PS2 | JB4+BCM | Bootmod3 | BMS Intake | BMS CP's | ER **'s | SSP Spec-R | Meth
Goodbye old friend - 2012 F30 335i | PURE stage 2 turbo | JB4 | BMS intake | ER down pipe | ER charge pipe | ER FMIC | E60 | Meth
(#1525)
Old

Car: 535i M sport
Default 02-05-2015, 07:33 AM

I saw that one, I was looking for a good video. the other vid I saw was different application. It looks like its a 10 minute job, but, Ive learned that I know nothing on these cars, so just looking for something to keep me from screwin the pooch!

thank you for the response