N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Should I be concerned? (coolant and oil level sensor) - 04-20-2019, 04:00 AM

I just got my car back after it was sitting for 3-4 months for an engine job, its a 335i e92 with pure stage 2 turbos.

When I got the car I only put in 1 gal of coolant and 6.5gal maybe a bit more bcuz i have oil cooler of oil.

Car was great and I had a coolant light for about 4-5 days and I did also push it a little hard but the car didnt over heat/get anywhere close to over heating or anything and its cold outside in Canada still so I wasn't too concerned.

When I checked the oil level I was about half way to the "add 1 qt". I did notice a little bit of oil on the driveway in the first 3-4 days of having the car back but after a day till today I haven't seen any oil. There are no visible leaks at all either but i'm sure its probably the oil pan gasket as thats the only gasket we didnt change when we swapped over the new n54 motor.

Now I know I was supposed to add 1qt of distilled water to the coolant and I did that today and then I noticed when I checked the oil level right after adding 1qt of distilled water to my coolant expansion tank, the Oil level was back to normal?

Should I be concerned for a blown headgasket or something because idk It doesn't make sense to me that having less coolant would affect oil level sensor but if it does that would clear up a lot of stuff for me!

I have warrenty on the motor parts and labour incase anything does happen though.

TDLR; I had 1 gallon of coolant in my coolant tank and didnt add 1 gallon of water. Engine oil level sensor said I was almost needing to add more oil to the car for about aweek. I added the 1 gallon of water and now I don't need to add oil because the oil level sensor has said that the cars engine oil is at max. Does coolant effect the oil level sensor?
(#2)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i Msport
Default 04-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Did you check the coolant reservoir for oil mixed with coolant? If not check asap when the car is cool now that the level is up.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i
Did you check the coolant reservoir for oil mixed with coolant? If not check asap when the car is cool now that the level is up.
there werent any patches of oil at all or anything, The coolant level hasnt changed in the last 2 days since I topped it up.
(#4)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i Msport
Default 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM

I would still check the coolant reservoir in the morning and see if there's any trace of oil in there..
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 04-21-2019, 06:29 AM

This is a strange story. So you drove with only half-filled coolant and a warning for 5 days? I take it you didn't bleed the system or anything?

Was the car sitting for a long time with no oil or water? Did you prime the engine when you added oil? Flush the coolant system? Maybe it is just fluids settling down?

If the oil level went up, and it was due to half a quart of water getting into the oil system, you'd have major problems. Is there a lot of crud/residue under the oil cap?
(#6)
Old

Default 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
This is a strange story. So you drove with only half-filled coolant and a warning for 5 days? I take it you didn't bleed the system or anything?

Was the car sitting for a long time with no oil or water? Did you prime the engine when you added oil? Flush the coolant system? Maybe it is just fluids settling down?

If the oil level went up, and it was due to half a quart of water getting into the oil system, you'd have major problems. Is there a lot of crud/residue under the oil cap?
I'm not sure my mechanic did bleed the coolant and the car sat for a year. The weirdest part is no oil in coolant and coolant level hasn't moved so the water didn't go anywhere