N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135is
Default N54 problems fuel in oil - 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this site wondering if anybody can help.
I bought 2009 BMW 135is with twin turbos I purchase this car with a few issues I couldn't run the engine long because it had multiple oil leaks oil smell like fuel I said you know what I'll give it a shot I got it for a really good price little did I know what I'm getting myself into I'm pretty handy guy love working on cars so here I go

I replace ignition coils valve cover gasket oil filter housing gasket a few radiator hoses odds and ends cleaned out the intake ports new intake manifold seals and 6 spark plugs spark plugs were black with carbon engine was full of carbon. the guy told me it's got three bad injectors change the oil antifreeze that being said here's what happened after

The car running like a bag of crap for the first 5 minutes was getting better and better then all the O2 sensors came on and p0131 and crank sensor retarded Bank 1 also then I started noticing smoke from the turbo side and the oil light red kept going off and on then went into limp mode I shut the car off and look further found out the oil was full of fuel I was thinking I had bad injectors never disconnected the battery and kept dumping fuel into the cylinder I changed the oil again and said give it another shot I cleared all the codes started up again and ran great for about 25 minutes then I noticed smoke coming again from the turbo side and the oil light game on and off again went into limp mode so I shut it down the next day I noticed oil was full of gas again so I decided to do the injector test none of them leaked two of them were loose when I pull out the plugs I noticed a few were wet figuring it's the injectors I bought a set of index 12 just wanted to see which ones were leaking before I exchange them with the new ones same codes as before appear again I'm really Clueless if any body can help it would be really appreciated thank you oh and a compression test cold was that 135 straight across with a crappy tester LOL

Last edited by TomasE82; 04-14-2019 at 05:08 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasE82
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this site wondering if anybody can help.
I bought 2009 BMW 135is with twin turbos I purchase this car with a few issues I couldn't run the engine long because it had multiple oil leaks oil smell like fuel I said you know what I'll give it a shot I got it for a really good price little did I know what I'm getting myself into I'm pretty handy guy love working on cars so here I go

I replace ignition coils valve cover gasket oil filter housing gasket a few radiator hoses odds and ends cleaned out the intake ports new intake manifold seals and 6 spark plugs spark plugs were black with carbon engine was full of carbon. the guy told me it's got three bad injectors change the oil antifreeze that being said here's what happened after

The car running like a bag of crap for the first 5 minutes was getting better and better then all the O2 sensors came on and p0131 and crank sensor retarded Bank 1 also then I started noticing smoke from the turbo side and the oil light red kept going off and on then went into limp mode I shut the car off and look further found out the oil was full of fuel I was thinking I had bad injectors never disconnected the battery and kept dumping fuel into the cylinder I changed the oil again and said give it another shot I cleared all the codes started up again and ran great for about 25 minutes then I noticed smoke coming again from the turbo side and the oil light game on and off again went into limp mode so I shut it down the next day I noticed oil was full of gas again so I decided to do the injector test none of them leaked two of them were loose when I pull out the plugs I noticed a few were wet figuring it's the injectors I bought a set of index 12 just wanted to see which ones were leaking before I exchange them with the new ones same codes as before appear again I'm really Clueless if any body can help it would be really appreciated thank you oh and a compression test cold was that 135 straight across with a crappy tester LOL
What’s the injector test?

Did you replace the o2 sensors?

Odd the oil light keeps popping up...

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-15-2019, 02:22 AM

The hpfp is bolted to the case of the engine... It is possible for the shaft seal of the hpfp to be leaking / dumping fuel into the engine...

What color is the smoke coming from the exhaust?
(#4)
Old

Default 04-15-2019, 03:59 AM

Thanks for your reply no I didn't change any of the O2 sensors yet
(#5)
Old

Default 04-15-2019, 04:00 AM

No smoke coming out of the exhaust clean
(#6)
Old

Default 04-15-2019, 04:01 AM

Fuel pump I didn't think of that I'm going to look into the parts list to get an idea of what it looks like is this a common thing thanks for your reply
(#7)
Old

Default 04-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Hi I removed all the injectors flipped the fuel line over to the intake side and reconnected the fuel injector and cranked the engine over several times and also primed low pressure fuel pump by the ecm. I also left the battery connected over night not a drop. I wanted to add pics here but it wont let me.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasE82
Fuel pump I didn't think of that I'm going to look into the parts list to get an idea of what it looks like is this a common thing thanks for your reply
I have seen that issue on Liebherr diesel engines / its very common on there t4f and t4i engines... That said injection pressure on those is about 36,000psi were on a n54 injection pressure is never above 5000 psi. Ive never seen it happen on a n54, but if you know the injectors are good, that's the only other place it could be coming from.

Also, what kind of fuel are you running? E85?

Last edited by 2008135i; 04-15-2019 at 12:58 PM..
(#9)
Old

Default 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Fuel I'm not sure the car came with 1/2 a tank of fuel.