N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135vert, e70 x5
Default 2017 340i dyno jb+ - 08-10-2017, 02:57 AM

Did a dyno run on my car today and it looks really odd. Very disappointed.

Rwd 8at, full dsc off and 5th gear. Jb on max setting.

There are gains of about +40 rwhp at the beginning so just what one would expect but from midrange onwards there are barely any gains, almost stock power.

There is also only a gain of about 8rwhp at max. What is going on??

Red is stock and green is jb at max setting.

I have added my calculated figures for the rpm and added it to the graph. Each square or 5km/h is approx 150rpm.

Name:  IMG_5584.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  281.2 KB

Last edited by x5mad; 08-21-2017 at 02:05 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: UK 140i-M Sport Auto
Default 08-10-2017, 03:07 AM

Did you log the runs, if so post the log, with out the log its a bit difficult.
(#3)
Old

Default 08-10-2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazBar
Did you log the runs, if so post the log, with out the log its a bit difficult.
Sorry no logs. I only have jb+ and nothing to log with.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Chart seems reasonable to me. I can't tell what RPM power is starting to taper but that is inevitable. More octane may help boost power up top and cooling can also become an issue on the dyno. Also worth noting sometimes less is more in an octane limited environment. Would be worth testing out some lower settings too.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
OEM+

Car: '16 340i
Default 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM

What gas?

'16 BSM 340i M Sport + Track Pack.:.M Perf Exhaust.:.Polished BBS RS-GT.:.JB4.:.BMS Intake
(#6)
Old

Car: 340i M-Sport
Default 08-10-2017, 08:54 AM

This isn't surprising to me. I have jb+ and the car feels exactly like that graph shows.

340i 8AT DME Stage 2 | JB4 | AP Intake | ER ** | Meisterschaft GTC | Ohlins R&T | Ground Control Camber Plates | MP LSD | 437M | RE-71R
(#7)
Old

Default 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru
What gas?
I always use BP 98 RON

I was so shocked at the figures that I forgot to ask if he had revs instead of speed for the y axis.

The question really though is why only 8hp peak gain? I'm sure most people looking at the bms graph would expect something similar.

I haven't found any other dyno with just the jb+

What the graph doesn't show is the 6 other pulls we did. The first pull only did 290rwhp! (With the jb+)
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Peak gains are rather meaningless numbers... What matters is power and torque picked up under the curve, and that looks significant. As mentioned the JB+ is a rather simple device so other than lowering boost or raising octane whatever you get is what you get with it. If you're looking for more sophisticated tuning and logging analysis then you'd want a JB4.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 08-12-2017, 09:58 AM

The difference between those two peak numbers means absolutely nothing. I wish dyno charts wouldn't display those numbers by default.

Another thing that will piss you off is running on a Dyno Dynamics. The graphs never make sense because the load is usually variable and not fixed like a Dynojet. Too many factors to try and get a consistent graph for comparison to other dyno's, vehicles, or even runs in the same session.

Also, with the JB+, you should be able to use an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and the Torque app to do simple datalogging. But honestly, at that point you should just upgrade to the JB4 because the logging is so much better

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#10)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 08-19-2017, 08:38 PM

Found a great video: https://youtu.be/-AuA1hlGEJw

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...