JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default JB4 Hybrid MHD BEF 17T Logs - 12-12-2021, 11:47 AM

Hi Terry/BMS,

Can you have a look at my logs below for me.

Have recently reinstalled JB4 and MHD BEF (Hybrid Race) as recommended.

Its a 2007 135i N54 6MT with Hybrid 17T Turbos + 2" VRSF Inlets + FBO

Stock Fuel Pump no Meth/Ethanol etc and run UK Super Unleaded pump fuel 99RON (think this is like US 93? )

Seems to pull well in Map 2, & Map 5 Autotune but also tried Map 7 as ive seen this targets 20psi? When you upload MHD BEF is that correct? Ok to run on Pump fuel?

See below 3rd Gear Pulls from 2.5k - look ok to you?

(2x in Map 2, 2x in Map 7 - WOT hope these are good?)

Many Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_135i17T_211212_130803.csv (11.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_135i17T_211212_153028.csv (17.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_135i17T_211212_132611.csv (14.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_135i17T_211212_132723.csv (21.8 KB, 71 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: Evo VIII
Default 12-13-2021, 10:50 AM

"Fuel Type: PUMP is suitable for pump gas fuels and up to 30% E85, RACE has more aggressive timing curves best used with higher octane fuels, while E85 has timing and air/fuel ratios best suited to E40 and higher mixtures." Definitely need to be on ethanol or a higher octane.

These logs look healthy. For more power, slowly ramp up boost a couple logs at a time in map 6. You will need to get some higher octane in the tank first though.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-13-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon @ BMS
"Fuel Type: PUMP is suitable for pump gas fuels and up to 30% E85, RACE has more aggressive timing curves best used with higher octane fuels, while E85 has timing and air/fuel ratios best suited to E40 and higher mixtures." Definitely need to be on ethanol or a higher octane.

These logs look healthy. For more power, slowly ramp up boost a couple logs at a time in map 6. You will need to get some higher octane in the tank first though.
Hi Cannon,

Thanks for the reply appreciate it.

Unfortnately where I am in UK, only have access to pump fuel - no access to E85 - and highest octane is Super Unleaded 99RON - this is what i run. (think this is like 93/94 in the US?)

So would be right in thinking need to run the PUMP BEF instead? Although im running Hybrids? As there is no HYBRID PUMP option. Or stick with HYBRID RACE BEF? (What im on now)

Happy with the power currently also so glad to hear logs looks good

------

Next question is can I continue to run Map 7 on Pump fuel? (changes to 20psi when running BMS/MHD BEF) - is this correct? Or is it still a 100 octane map race fuel map as per default? I have the BEF installed 4/2 set. Cant seem to find an answer to this.

Or better off sticking to Map 2. (Happy with)

Map 6 i seem to get cyl5/cyl6 occasional misfire code/limp at redline in 3rd/4th gear. (Hybrid Settings per Terrys Hybrid Thread.) All over maps run fine.

Many Thanks for your help!

Last edited by ChrisCC; 12-13-2021 at 01:12 PM..
(#4)
Old

Default 12-13-2021, 03:36 PM

Pump BEF is fine for hybrid turbos, load the pump flash and do a run or two in the same environment for proper comparison. The timing drops don't look too bad. If you tune for no drops you usually end up leaving a lot of power on the table. At the same time if its repeating drops in the same cylinder throughout a run that is a good sign things are too aggressive.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 12-13-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon @ BMS
Pump BEF is fine for hybrid turbos, load the pump flash and do a run or two in the same environment for proper comparison. The timing drops don't look too bad. If you tune for no drops you usually end up leaving a lot of power on the table. At the same time if its repeating drops in the same cylinder throughout a run that is a good sign things are too aggressive.
Thanks for this Cannon. Really appricate this info.

Will load the PUMP BEF instead of the HYBRID RACE BEF i have on now currently and report back with a Log.

(Previously when asking (i think it yourself actually!) i got told to load Hybrid Race BEF running Pump 93. all good though. Rather get it right!
I appreciate the help!
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 12-14-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCC
Thanks for this Cannon. Really appricate this info.

Will load the PUMP BEF instead of the HYBRID RACE BEF i have on now currently and report back with a Log.

(Previously when asking (i think it yourself actually!) i got told to load Hybrid Race BEF running Pump 93. all good though. Rather get it right!
I appreciate the help!
There technically isn't a pump flash for hybrid turbos, hence why you use the stock turbo pump flash.

Kind of confusing, I know

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 12-15-2021, 02:27 PM

Hi Dave/Cannon,

Loaded the PUMP BEF on this evening. (Took HYBRID RACE BEF off)

Got a couple of logs, same enviroment like for like.

Map 2, Map 7 seems to drive fine as before no problems, does "seem" not to pull as hard as before though does feel slower vs. Hybrid RACE BEF.

But if logs looks better than before to you and its better for the car ill keep it on?

Tried Map 6 again (Terrys Hybrid Instructions like for like) pulled well but at WOT 3/4gear near redline about 6k+ got a misfire again.
(Did this while logging see Map 6 csv below) and did this on HYBRID BEF also.

Cylinder 6 when codes read.
Cleared no problem but this is definitely must be user map settings need to be adjusted for my car, as coils and plugs are new and runs perfect otherwise = zero misfires.

Only at very high rpm/redline in map 6 only - in 3/4th gear WOT.

Anything I can adjust in the settings? if not happy to just run map 7 if ok to run that?

Let us know what you think
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_135i17T_211215_191937.csv (19.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_135i17T_211215_192159.csv (10.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_135i17T_211215_192032.csv (13.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by ChrisCC; 12-15-2021 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: additional info
(#8)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-16-2021, 02:14 AM

I would:

Stay on the pump BEF

Update firmware to at least 32/15/2 or experiment with the beta firmware 32/16/T9

Switch to map 5 - nice every day map

JB4 Flex Fuel //MMP Stage 3 turbos//Custom Exhaust/BMS DCI//FMIC/KW suspension//Fuel-it Pi & Fuel it stage 4/BMS OCC's and too much to mention
(#9)
Old

Default 12-16-2021, 11:57 AM

Make sure to update firmware. Other than that, these logs look pretty dang good.
Try and upload a log of map 6 kicking you into misfire.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-16-2021, 11:54 PM

Welcome to the same problem I have, I don’t think anyone online can help you even with jb4 logs
(#11)
Old

Default 12-20-2021, 07:40 AM

Hi Cannon/Steve,

See attached new logs, Firmware updated 32/15

Can you check Map 7 below for me, seems to run the best?

Can you confirm - with PUMP BEF installed this is now changed 20psi target?
(Whats quoted on Terry's BEF install instructions)

And OK to run on Pump UK 99RON? 93/94US?

(As i know previously with no BEF it was 18.5 target and has to be 100 octane race fuel)

Just want to know if safe to run and ok as seems the best map all round.

If not will stick with Map 2.

Many Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_135i17T_211220_135650.csv (19.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by ChrisCC; 12-20-2021 at 10:07 AM..
(#12)
Old

Default 12-20-2021, 12:21 PM

Map 7 is too much. Timing is super sporadic towards the top end.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 12-20-2021, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply Cannon - will stick with Map 2 for time being then!

Tried Map 6 again but get misfire at high rpm/redline (cyl 6) not sure if anyway of adjusting settings on map at all.

Car runs perfectly fine on all other maps. Thinking maybe lowering boost?

See attached Map 6 with misfire on WOT redline.

(Stays on Map 6 also - doesnt revert to Map 4 so no issues)
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_135i17T_211220_134014.csv (24.1 KB, 60 views)
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 12-20-2021, 04:41 PM

Likely plugs, coils, or some hardware issue when you start cranking boost up (you're targeting 21psi). Other maps don't do it because boost is lower.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#15)
Old

Default 12-20-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Likely plugs, coils, or some hardware issue when you start cranking boost up (you're targeting 21psi). Other maps don't do it because boost is lower.
Hi Steve,

Its had new Coils and 6x New NGK 1-Step Colder Plugs in last 1000 miles.

Car runs smooth and perfectly otherwise. No codes or anything.

Just seems odd only at redline, Cyl 6 on its own, only thing can think of is LPFP? Or this mysterious cyl 5/6 misfire 6MT owners can get on Stock DMFW?

Would you suggest I drop boost further to 19psi? tapering off to 18-17psi on high rpm? Duty Bias and Fuel Bias stay the same as per Terrys post?
(#16)
Old

Default 12-21-2021, 01:44 PM

Hi Cannon/Steve,

Thanks for your help with this so far. Think ive cracked it as didnt get a misfire now lowered boost to 19psi peak target.

See attached log if can review for me! Going in for dyno tommorow morning!

Many Thanks
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_135i17T_211221_201319.csv (23.9 KB, 57 views)
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-22-2021, 01:24 PM

You let out of it a couple times and doesn't look like a great road but otherwise looks pretty normal.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#18)
Old

Default 12-22-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
You let out of it a couple times and doesn't look like a great road but otherwise looks pretty normal.
Yeah really cold here at the minute and the roads not great with TC off.

Thanks for confirming though Steve.

Ran Map 2 on dyno today and made 470bhp so happy enough with that on pump fuel and stock pump.

Need stage 2 pump off you next i think!
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-23-2021, 12:54 PM

Excellent!