JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#3776)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2020, 10:45 AM

JB4_EWG_18:

1) Revised boost control system for absolute maps equipped with an EWG connector. New default settings are as follows: Duty bias 50 across the board, pid gain to 20, FF to 60, auto shift reduction to 60.
2) Added speed logging parameter
3) Increased analog sensor sample rate for smoother performance.
4) Various other minor undocumented changes.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3777)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-08-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
JB4_EWG_18:

1) Revised boost control system for absolute maps equipped with an EWG connector. New default settings are as follows: Duty bias 50 across the board, pid gain to 20, FF to 60, auto shift reduction to 60.
These are big changes! I assume these started to develop once more people started getting larger turbos, etc.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3778)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 335i Sport Line
Default 04-08-2020, 12:21 PM

The latest EWG firmware completely changed how the car drives. It's now very smooth boost target is spot on ����.
Amazing job Terry.

'14 F30 335i N55 EWG - Speedtech Stage 3 EFR 8374 - BM3 OTS Stage 2H 93 Flash - xHP Flash - JB4 - BMS Meth kit - Dorch Stage 2 HPFP - ER FMIC & CP
(#3779)
Old

Car: M135i 2016
Default 04-08-2020, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

The firmware was not up to date so I updated it and went back out to set new 2-7krpm logs in map 5, map 0, and then map 1.
FYI - I started in map 5 after giving it 20 mins to do initial learning.

Looking through the logs once more there still seems to be significant boosting differences between map 5 and 1.

In map 5 the boost reaches set point of 12 psi at around 2200 rpm then dips and slowly rises until it overshoots to 13 psi just above 5000 rpm the gradually decreases down to 10 psi. The ign also seems to move around between 0 to 10 deg BTDC throughout the rpm range which doesn't seem optimal (hope not an indication of knock). The STFT are slightly positive but not significant.

Switching to stock (map 0), it seems the boost controller was out of calibration and in the first two acceleration the boost was all over the place but by the third run seemed to settle down and stay closer to the 10 psi set point. The STFT are quite neutral and stable

Switching to map 1, boost seems to spool up to 15 psi at 3500 rpm an then settle back down to 14 psi all the way up to 5000 rpm and then gradually decrease to 10 psi. The STFT however are significantly positive under load - initially peaking at +25% (50) and then continuing at around +15-12%.

Also, map 1 still causes a torque bog after hard shifting whilst in map 5 it is less noticeable. Any ideas for this as well?

Please find attached the csv

Many thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200408_1907_runs(21).csv (181.9 KB, 192 views)
(#3780)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-09-2020, 08:54 AM

I don't see any indication of anything wrong with the car itself and not sure about the bog.
Are you manual transmission?

You need higher octane fuel from what it looks like, you have lots of timing pull through the rev range. That's why map 5 is not making more boost, since it's an autotune map.

The way boost comes in depends on ecu psi, the JB4 isn't doing anything different than what stock would do.

Burger Motorsports

(#3781)
Old

Default 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM

Yes its a manual - any ideas why the bog happens in map 1 and not 5?

Regarding the timing pull, I was using the ESSO supreme 97 RON fuel here in the UK... Will try Shell V-Power next and see if it does the trick
Would MMT based octane boosters make any difference?

Cheers
(#3782)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfardan
The latest EWG firmware completely changed how the car drives. It's now very smooth boost target is spot on ����.
Amazing job Terry.

Burger Motorsports

(#3783)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
These are big changes! I assume these started to develop once more people started getting larger turbos, etc.
The goal is to migrate all EWG platforms over to the new style logic we've developed. Up next the F90!

Burger Motorsports

(#3784)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt304
Thanks for the quick reply.

The firmware was not up to date so I updated it and went back out to set new 2-7krpm logs in map 5, map 0, and then map 1.
FYI - I started in map 5 after giving it 20 mins to do initial learning.

Looking through the logs once more there still seems to be significant boosting differences between map 5 and 1.

In map 5 the boost reaches set point of 12 psi at around 2200 rpm then dips and slowly rises until it overshoots to 13 psi just above 5000 rpm the gradually decreases down to 10 psi. The ign also seems to move around between 0 to 10 deg BTDC throughout the rpm range which doesn't seem optimal (hope not an indication of knock). The STFT are slightly positive but not significant.

Switching to stock (map 0), it seems the boost controller was out of calibration and in the first two acceleration the boost was all over the place but by the third run seemed to settle down and stay closer to the 10 psi set point. The STFT are quite neutral and stable

Switching to map 1, boost seems to spool up to 15 psi at 3500 rpm an then settle back down to 14 psi all the way up to 5000 rpm and then gradually decrease to 10 psi. The STFT however are significantly positive under load - initially peaking at +25% (50) and then continuing at around +15-12%.

Also, map 1 still causes a torque bog after hard shifting whilst in map 5 it is less noticeable. Any ideas for this as well?

Please find attached the csv

Many thanks in advance
Running EWG connector? If not I'd look to add that on. I'd also raise open loop to 60 to lower fuel trims a bit.

Burger Motorsports

(#3785)
Old

Default 04-10-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Running EWG connector? If not I'd look to add that on. I'd also raise open loop to 60 to lower fuel trims a bit.
Yes its got an EWG. Do you also find the boost fluctuating too much?

Where do I do that? User adjustment, then just write in 60 next to Fuel Open Loop? Currently its empty

Have you seen such positive trims on cars before? I don't understand why it only happens with the tune enabled

Also would you recommend only running map 5 instead of map 1?
(#3786)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-10-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Yes its got an EWG. Do you also find the boost fluctuating too much?

Where do I do that? User adjustment, then just write in 60 next to Fuel Open Loop? Currently its empty

Have you seen such positive trims on cars before? I don't understand why it only happens with the tune enabled

Also would you recommend only running map 5 instead of map 1?
Boost fluctuates based on ECU psi, it's following what the ECU is requesting and adding more boost on top. It would be the same with the JB4 off.

Correct, when adding more power fuel trims will vary so you will need to balance it. User adjustments, fuel open loop to 60 and click save. You'll have to do this when you're connected to the car.

You can run whichever map you want as long as you have the octane for it.
For lower octane gas, like the one you had I would stick to map 1.

Burger Motorsports

(#3787)
Old

Default 04-11-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Boost fluctuates based on ECU psi, it's following what the ECU is requesting and adding more boost on top. It would be the same with the JB4 off.

Correct, when adding more power fuel trims will vary so you will need to balance it. User adjustments, fuel open loop to 60 and click save. You'll have to do this when you're connected to the car.

You can run whichever map you want as long as you have the octane for it.
For lower octane gas, like the one you had I would stick to map 1.
Just did a quick run in map 1 with the fuel open loop setting set to 60 and the trims still seem to fluctuate between 40 and 35 under load. Should I set it even higher?
Regarding your advice to use map 1 with low octane fuel, would it not be better to used map 5 so it adjusts the boost for the lower octane and doesn't attempt advancing ign too far and then repeatedly correcting? Does the ECU just correct ign based on the knock sensor or are there other inputs?
I've attached the log
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200411_1223_runs(13).csv (81.9 KB, 199 views)
(#3788)
Old

Car: 2015 bmw x5 35i xdrive m package
Default 04-13-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
What is the difference between the value of fuel open loop?
(#3789)
Old

Default 04-13-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
hey terry What value is usually for the wastegate pos ?
(#3790)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-14-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashzhang87
hey terry What value is usually for the wastegate pos ?
Which setting, FF? For PWG cars 100. And the JB4 will adjust duty bias by RPM automatically to learn your wastegates/vehicle.

Burger Motorsports

(#3791)
Old

Default 04-14-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Just did a quick run in map 1 with the fuel open loop setting set to 60 and the trims still seem to fluctuate between 40 and 35 under load. Should I set it even higher?
Regarding your advice to use map 1 with low octane fuel, would it not be better to used map 5 so it adjusts the boost for the lower octane and doesn't attempt advancing ign too far and then repeatedly correcting? Does the ECU just correct ign based on the knock sensor or are there other inputs?
I've attached the log
Any ideas?
(#3792)
Old

Default 04-14-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Which setting, FF? For PWG cars 100. And the JB4 will adjust duty bias by RPM automatically to learn your wastegates/vehicle.
my car is EWG
I see a default wastegate pos value in jb4 settings,
What is the usual value?
(#3793)
Old

Default 04-18-2020, 04:04 PM

Update
Finally got hold of Shell Vpower 99ron fuel and I gave the logs another try.
From driving the car it already feels much smoother both in map 1 and 5 and the av ign seems to have reduced to about 3.3
I also tried out map 2 for the logs (although I have stock DP)
Strangely the logs still suggest the ign is fluctuating and I not sure if the timing is still being pulled in all three maps...
Could you please let me know what you think and which map seems to be working most effectively?
Log attached
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200418_1453_runs(31).csv (183.4 KB, 195 views)
(#3794)
Old

Car: 2015 435i xdrive gran coupe
Default 04-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The goal is to migrate all EWG platforms over to the new style logic we've developed. Up next the F90!
Maybe a couple dumb questions.

For those of us with the BEF loaded via MHD, does this affect anything there?

Do we need to reflash the BEF after the firmware update?

Will an updated BEF file be forthcoming taking these changes into account?
(#3795)
Old

Default 04-26-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
JB4_EWG_18:

hey terry
iím running with ewg connector, using on map5 , if i setting pid gain to 25, fuel open loop to 75, itís that ok? jb4 has been updated to the latest version!
thank you very much
(#3796)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2020, 11:53 AM

Open loop may be too high and trigger a fault but won't know until I see the log.

Burger Motorsports

(#3797)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc
Maybe a couple dumb questions.

For those of us with the BEF loaded via MHD, does this affect anything there?

Do we need to reflash the BEF after the firmware update?

Will an updated BEF file be forthcoming taking these changes into account?
Improves operation across all flash maps, factory, and BEF.

Burger Motorsports

(#3798)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 04-29-2020, 04:25 PM

Hi all! After finishing my 14 day work rotation I noticed something weird when I started up the Bimmer! first off the gauge sweep at start was not working and after startup the fault codes came on and stayed on for a substantially longer time, it also switched to map "0" on its own, what could possibly be the cause of these issues? During the time away I had a battery charger connected and someone plugging and unplugging the lower cord.

2015 M235i EWG, 8 speed AT with XHP stage 4 flash, Super Sprint exhaust with 4Ē 🐱 less DP, AFE intake, Dinan dual core intercooler, MHD stage 2+ tune, Phoenix racing PI manifold with 750cc injectors, Precision Raceworks cool upgrade kit, Raceworks stage 2 LPFP( soon to be upgraded to a 3 or 3.5) , EOS LPFP controller all on 93 octane pump gas!
(#3799)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 05-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumaurier7
please hurry up guys, these false codes are really becoming irritating , they still come although I do the power on first work around.
Any update on this issue? Itís still happens and now takes wayyyyy longer to reset itself! There seems to be no activity on this issue! If you guys arenít going to look into this please let me know so that I can decide what Iím doing with my JB4!

2015 M235i EWG, 8 speed AT with XHP stage 4 flash, Super Sprint exhaust with 4Ē 🐱 less DP, AFE intake, Dinan dual core intercooler, MHD stage 2+ tune, Phoenix racing PI manifold with 750cc injectors, Precision Raceworks cool upgrade kit, Raceworks stage 2 LPFP( soon to be upgraded to a 3 or 3.5) , EOS LPFP controller all on 93 octane pump gas!
(#3800)
Old

Default 05-02-2020, 08:27 AM

Hi Terry

I've been running the new firmware over the last two weeks and a few days ago for the first time while running in Map 5 the car switched to SAFETY MODE 4!

However today I caught it happening again while logging in Map 1! Both times it happened just after changing gear under WOT (and I have been running high octane shell vpower fuel)

Please let me know what is going on!

To me the car seems to be running too lean..

Open fuel loop still set to 60 (also noticed there is no signal from the low fuel pump in logs)

log attached
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200502_1142_runs(26).csv (120.4 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by gt304; 05-03-2020 at 05:10 AM..