JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 E92 6MT
Question ******* down pipes and emission inspection - 06-18-2009, 08:07 PM

All - what are the benefits of installing ******* *********? Does it add HP to JB3 on map 5 with pump 93 gas? Seems like a major project and not a big bang for the buck. Also, what is the effect on emissions - anyone have problems with passing inspection?
(#2)
Old
Band

Car: 135i
Default 06-18-2009, 08:29 PM

what are emissions? LOL!

I guess it depends on the state you live in. I have no emission checks here. Some states only check through the diagnostics ports. Other states have tailpipe sniffers and do visual compliance inspections.
Go ask your local emission check station operator.

Vae Victis!

If you are not going Juice Box then you are going slow.
(#3)
Old

Car: 07-e92-335
Default 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM

precats are known as lightoff cats. They reduce cold start emission. Normal sniffer (5gas) tests are done with the engine fully warm.

Apr'17 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
IS mods-MFactory LSD.MHD/BQ Tuned.ATM-IC.AFE Momentum GT.Konis.Mfront&rear arms and rods
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 E92 6MT
Default 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM

so will pass sniffer but not ECU plug in? Are there any REAL benefits from this mod, bang-for-buck?
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast
so will pass sniffer but not ECU plug in? Are there any REAL benefits from this mod, bang-for-buck?
No, you will fail sniffer with your cats removed.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe AT
Default 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast
You should do a search on the boards. I believe Terry, or someone, has posted dyno results for ******* *********. You could go with race cats if you're concerned about emissions.
(#7)
Old

Default 06-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
No, you will fail sniffer with your cats removed.
Even with still having the secondary cats? Sniffing engine warm and only DP cats removed is a fail?
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
Even with still having the secondary cats? Sniffing engine warm and only DP cats removed is a fail?
Yes.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe AT
Default 06-18-2009, 10:42 PM

California emissions are insane. I believe starting next year if your car doesn't produce oxygen it won't pass.

Maybe you could pass in other states? With lower requirements?
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-18-2009, 10:45 PM

Testing does vary by state! Other states may be more lenient.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: E82 135i
Default 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM

******* dp's FTW. Seriously. I can't wait to get mine back on..NIGHT and DAY difference. I live in Texas..they could care less here..well south texas anyways..

Old : 2007 E92 335i
Best run : 12.5@110,1.8 60ft(JB3 1.2,Tune,100Oct,DCI)56F

Best run with full mods : 12.6@113 2.0 60ft
(JB3 2.0,93+Meth,DCI,Dp's,FMIC) 81F

New : 2008 E82 135i

E.T. : TBD
(#12)
Old

Default 06-19-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM
what are emissions? LOL!

I guess it depends on the state you live in. I have no emission checks here. Some states only check through the diagnostics ports. Other states have tailpipe sniffers and do visual compliance inspections.
I don't get it. They must be really simple people. It is no rocket science to check that a car complies with the law. They would need to sniff AND check OBD-II AND do visual checks.
(#13)
Old
Band

Car: 135i
Default 06-19-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
I don't get it.
No checks here. There is no national emsission inspection standard, and I am thankful!

Vae Victis!

If you are not going Juice Box then you are going slow.
(#14)
Old

Car: 335 - E92 - 6MT
Default 06-19-2009, 05:48 AM

With high flow cats, you can pass the ODBII test. I believe most states just hook up to the ODBII port. In CA you may pass a visual as well with High Flow cats (don't know how militant they can be).

AR Design DP's use Magnoflow Hi Flow Cats that are listed by Magnaflow as EPA-ODBII Compliant, whatever that means. Mine have never thrown a code, and I don't expect them to.

I have seen a test sheet (don't know if it is valid) that shows a test with open pipe of 1000 CFM, stock type cats bring it down to 300CFM, and high flow cats get you up to 600CFM. Double stock is pretty good if you can pass state emissions without issue.

Magnaflow 59959 on this page is what is used on the AR DP's: http://www.car-sound.com/02product/u...al/599spun.asp

Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design ***, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
(#15)
Old

Default 06-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Some flow data that I found:

Straight Pipe Flow By Diameter

5-inch: 2200 cfm +
4-inch: 1800 cfm
3.5-inch: 1400 cfm
3-inch: 1200 cfm
2.5-inch: 900 cfm
2.25-inch: 600 cfm

3 inch Catco metallic 200 cell ***: 706.2 CFM (advertised, pressure not known)

You need 2.2 cfm per open-exhaust-hp for fully unrestricted flow.

Assuming full bolt-ons with stock turbos = 440whp which could be around 550 crank hp w/ open exhaust. We would need to flow 2.2 x 550 = 1210cfm i.e. 605cfm per pipe. I.e. deploying 3" race cats would not restrict the power at all.

The other route to have unrestricted full bolt-on-power and clear the inspection would be swapping the full stock exhaust in for the inspection and then put the race exhaust back. How long would it take to switch the whole exhaust system once?
(#16)
Old

Car: 335 - E92 - 6MT
Default 06-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Here is the spreadsheet I found somewhere:

Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design ***, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
(#17)
Old
Banned

Car: N54, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Default 06-20-2009, 08:05 AM

If you live in a state that only checks through the obd2 port then o2 ***** will pass emissions. You can check this with any obd2 scanner that can read o2 readiness.
(#18)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i AW E90 Steptronic
Default 06-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White
******* dp's FTW. Seriously. I can't wait to get mine back on..NIGHT and DAY difference. I live in Texas..they could care less here..well south texas anyways..
im in TX as well. Thats why i can careless if i have Cats or not.
Go TEXAS!
(#19)
Old

Car: E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to andrew@lutzperformance
Default 06-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Its definatly worth the money if you dont have to deal with emissions, in FL we dont have a standard any longer. I know that in VA where I was born/grew up they were very strict with emissions but CA is by far the most difficult.

-Andrew Congleton
Lutz Performance Automotive
Ph(Shop):813-949-3540
Cell: 703-314-6511
Email: Andrew@lutzperfauto.net
http://lutzperfauto.net/

Lutz Performance - Tampa's premier BMW PERFORMANCE shop.

HOME OF LARRY'S RECORD SETTING 135I!!!!!!
11.36 1/4 MILE
(#20)
Old

Car: about to purchase 09 335i Xdrive
Default 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM

I know this is a really old post, but its the right thread for this question I believe... Here in Ontario, Canada we only have the OBDII test now (used to be sniffer, but changed last year). If I went full ******* DP with the JB4 and the BMS O2 Fix cable, shouldnt I pass emissions as the BMS will eliminate the O2 sensor from triggering a fault code...

Thoughts?

2016 335 GT - let the upgrades begin..

2000 Z3M - too many upgrades to mention ... lol

(#21)
Old

Car: 2007 E92
Default 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos23
I know this is a really old post, but its the right thread for this question I believe... Here in Ontario, Canada we only have the OBDII test now (used to be sniffer, but changed last year). If I went full ******* DP with the JB4 and the BMS O2 Fix cable, shouldnt I pass emissions as the BMS will eliminate the O2 sensor from triggering a fault code...

Thoughts?
That is correct.

When you go to Map0 to disable JB4 you will trigger code.
Install DP fix, change to map0 and get your tags renewed.

Get home, remove DP fix and place JB4 back to whatever map you run.
(#22)
Old

Car: about to purchase 09 335i Xdrive
Default 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335
That is correct.

When you go to Map0 to disable JB4 you will trigger code.
Install DP fix, change to map0 and get your tags renewed.

Get home, remove DP fix and place JB4 back to whatever map you run.
Thanks! So i don't need/want to run the DP Fix expect for emissions inspection? What is the downside of keeping it in and running map 2 which i would be after installing the ***.... DOes it cancel or conflict with the JB4?

Another question. Can I run catted *** and still run map 2 or must they be ******* DP?

2016 335 GT - let the upgrades begin..

2000 Z3M - too many upgrades to mention ... lol

(#23)
Old

Car: 2019 Stinger GT1
Default 11-20-2020, 09:03 AM

I just purchased an ark Dp for my Kia stinger, my question is if I install these do’s will I get any codes. I am also running A jb4 tuner