JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default E85 Gauge - 09-25-2013, 07:20 AM

Anyone running or test one of these yet?

http://www.dynosty.com/2012/06/new-e...-from-dynosty/

It might not be needed but could it assist in the tunning/auto-tunning of the JB?

(#2)
Old

Car: any
Default 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM

It would be interesting to see this in conjunction with say a race map and standard map both auto tuning on the jb4 however I think the car does a fine job of adjusting for e85 now

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
(#3)
Old

Car: 335 e90 spt pack 6mt
Default 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser

It might not be needed but could it assist in the tunning/auto-tunning of the JB?
couple evo guys are running them that i know and love them so far, if you look to get one from dynosty, ask for dustin and tell him clay from reflections auto detail referred you
(#4)
Old

Car: 2013 335i M Sport
Default 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Pretty cool. I wish they had something like that that could measure actual R+M/2 octane real time.

2011 335is JB4- Gone

2013 F30 335i M-Sport JB4
(#5)
Old
Cool ///Member

Car: E90 SEDAN
Default 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:

How would you integrate it into jb4 to read out?looks nice.

SOLD
2004 E46 ///M3 MODDED
PRESENT RiDE
2008 E90 SEDAN G5 iSO-FBO FSB-100%METH-DUAL NOZZLES,Fuel iT!Stage 2
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

The JB4 could read the sensor directly and display it in the logs, use it for tuning, etc, but the logistics of installing it isn't overly appealing, and the ethanol mixture itself isn't a compelling piece of data.

I have that same sensor in my garage though. Maybe one of these days I'll work on it. In a perfect world you'd want it on the "return" line going back to the bucket IMHO. Then the piggyback would need to compute LPH fuel consumed so it was always showing the ethanol % at the injector rather than at the return.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The JB4 could read the sensor directly and display it in the logs, use it for tuning, etc, but the logistics of installing it isn't overly appealing, and the ethanol mixture itself isn't a compelling piece of data.

I have that same sensor in my garage though. Maybe one of these days I'll work on it. In a perfect world you'd want it on the "return" line going back to the bucket IMHO. Then the piggyback would need to compute LPH fuel consumed so it was always showing the ethanol % at the injector rather than at the return.
Could you see this having benefits at the end of the day? Or more hassle than it is actually worth? I could be the test mule if you see it being worthwhile. :D

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM

More data is always good. Vishnu has been selling these kits for awhile for $800 (?). I'm just not convinced the data obtained is worth the cost and effort. If you want to install the sensor I'll program the JB4 to read it though...

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
More data is always good. Vishnu has been selling these kits for awhile for $800 (?). I'm just not convinced the data obtained is worth the cost and effort. If you want to install the sensor I'll program the JB4 to read it though...
Might make this a winter project. I would like to fab a gauge pod in my ashtray to hold both this gauge as well as a water temp gauge.

Thanks,

(#10)
Old

Car: 135 Convertible
Default 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Seems to be a simple GM 13577394 Flex Fuel Sensor, costs $75 on ebay. Connect it to an analog gauge, add a diode and some resitors (0.5v=0% 4.5v =100%) and you are good to go! Easily done for less than $100.
(#11)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jox
Seems to be a simple GM 13577394 Flex Fuel Sensor, costs $75 on ebay. Connect it to an analog gauge, add a diode and some resitors (0.5v=0% 4.5v =100%) and you are good to go! Easily done for less than $100.
I am listening!
Where exactly would you add said diode and resistors?

(#12)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jox
For the enept, I would love to see a DIY write up on this

2011 335is JB4- Gone

(#13)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Jox appears to be dead on with this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-13577394-...59bd6f&vxp=mtr

Any ideas on what gauge might work best here? I would want to go digital.

Other kits:
http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm#ECA

(#14)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 02:10 PM

it's really simple: you need a 0.5v zener diode to drop the voltage by 0.5 volts to fix the bias from the flex fuel sensor. The sensor seem to output 0.5v when it reads 0%, ideally you would want it to be 0v, hence the diode. Next you need to create a simple voltage divider to correct the output according to the gauge you are using.

I have NOT tested any of this, just googled some specs of the sensor. The rest is just basic electronics. I might try this during then winter, if I do I'll post a diy!

Maybe Terry could confirm this since he has the required hardware?
(#15)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 02:18 PM

you should be able to use something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-56-High-Ac...item565adf5254

Just split the output voltage with a voltage splitter, easiest way would be to connect four 1komh resistors in series and connect the gauge over one of the resistors, you will then pick up 1/4 of the output voltage and voila: the gauge would read 1.0000 at 100% ethanol.

As said before: I haven't tested this, but it works in theory!
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM

The sensor outputs a square wave frequency. So you'd add a low pass filer to convert it to analog if that was the intention. Not difficult.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 09-25-2013, 06:49 PM

I looked into this gauge a couple months ago.I was told that there was no return line for our cars? I had made up a list of all the parts and connectors to install it the same way Vishnu installed their e85 kit. It looks simple.
(#18)
Old

Car: BMW x1 35i xDrive
Default 10-15-2013, 06:54 AM

I would be very interested in this. I realize the JB4 doesn't necessarily need it, but it would take a lot of the guesswork out of filling up with mixes, especially when living in part of the country that has such variable ethanol mix at the pumps.
(#19)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM

Yep I'm very interested in this too. Makes sense, upgrading the fuel system for E85/E50 so going this bit extra may be worth it. Will be keen to see where you install it in your system?

E89 N54 / ***** / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless DP's / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers
(#20)
Old

Default 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
I would be very interested in this. I realize the JB4 doesn't necessarily need it, but it would take a lot of the guesswork out of filling up with mixes, especially when living in part of the country that has such variable ethanol mix at the pumps.
I was just looking at the E85 pump this morning when filling up and it said "contains at least 70% ethanol".. WTF is that? It would be nice if they were at least required to put what blend it is at the pump.

Like you I've heard that cold weather climates can get lower blends in the winter but this is Phoenix. I had better be getting E85 all year. I would love a cheaper version of this gauge.

2011 335is JB4- Gone

(#21)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS
I was just looking at the E85 pump this morning when filling up and it said "contains at least 70% ethanol".. WTF is that? It would be nice if they were at least required to put what blend it is at the pump.

Like you I've heard that cold weather climates can get lower blends in the winter but this is Phoenix. I had better be getting E85 all year. I would love a cheaper version of this gauge.
Yeah I think that this the minimal ethanol content for the winter blends which unfortunately is a big change from 85%. There are parts of Arizona that get the Winter blend depending on whether or not you lie north or south of the 34th parallel north. This chart can give you an approximate idea of when the blends may hit your area.

http://www.e85mustangs.com/regions123.html

335is DCT
(#22)
Old

Default 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc
Yeah I think that this the minimal ethanol content for the winter blends which unfortunately is a big change from 85%. There are parts of Arizona that get the Winter blend depending on whether or not you lie north or south of the 34th parallel north. This chart can give you an approximate idea of when the blends may hit your area.

http://www.e85mustangs.com/regions123.html
We're at 33.26N according to some Wiki so looks like we're getting the higher blend of the options at least. I think I'll add a bit more E85 since they are blending ours starting this month. Great find and it may be worth starting a new thread over.

2011 335is JB4- Gone

(#23)
Old
Cool ///Member

Car: E90 SEDAN
Default 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM

I would think that knowing what % of ethanol you have you can tune to that.unless on auto tune map5 then its useless.but guys with meth,upgraded turbos I think its beneficial.
Guess for guys that want to get that extra last HP.

SOLD
2004 E46 ///M3 MODDED
PRESENT RiDE
2008 E90 SEDAN G5 iSO-FBO FSB-100%METH-DUAL NOZZLES,Fuel iT!Stage 2
(#24)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi coupe
Default 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Jox appears to be dead on with this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-13577394-...59bd6f&vxp=mtr

Any ideas on what gauge might work best here? I would want to go digital.

Other kits:
http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm#ECA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jox
it's really simple: you need a 0.5v zener diode to drop the voltage by 0.5 volts to fix the bias from the flex fuel sensor. The sensor seem to output 0.5v when it reads 0%, ideally you would want it to be 0v, hence the diode. Next you need to create a simple voltage divider to correct the output according to the gauge you are using.

I have NOT tested any of this, just googled some specs of the sensor. The rest is just basic electronics. I might try this during then winter, if I do I'll post a diy!

Maybe Terry could confirm this since he has the required hardware?
Quote:
The sensor outputs a square wave frequency. So you'd add a low pass filer to convert it to analog if that was the intention. Not difficult.
Just stumbled on this thread.

What can be done to convert one of the older more expensive Vishnu Flex Fuel sensors in order to have it be read or some E value displayed through the JB4? I can try and get some photos this evening of the 3 wires coming from the 'hub' (link to photos below, it's the picture under step 2) that then has a power, ground, and a third wire coming from it that was previously connected to the PROcede.

Any help appreciated!

http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/sty...-20/index.html
(#25)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335xi E90 N55
Default 07-07-2014, 02:06 PM

Along the lines of this thread:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21380

Terry:
Quote:
It lets the JB4 alter the DME's fuel mass calculation. Which is required for heavy ethanol mixtures to avoid maxing out the factory fuel trims. Once installed you can use any mix of pump or ethanol fuel with it....
http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_N55_...uel_Wires.html
So, the flex fuel wires do not monitor ethanol percentage, and the N54/N55/N20 do not have an ethanol analyzer? Why are these wires for N20/N55 only? Is an ethanol percentage calculated from the fuel mass? What sensor do these wires intercept, and/or what input into the DME? I'm still a bit confused about this. Either way, I would definitely be interested in knowing the ethanol% of the fuel I am running.

I have a couple of questions off topic of this thread, also, I can start a new thread somewhere if prudent.
JB4 N54 boasts:
Quote:
a programmable shift light, on the fly adjustable torque limiting to aid with launches at the track, an optional 2STEP rev limiter & no lift shifting for manual transmission cars, an optional speed delimiter, and much more.
and under the JB4 N54 G5 ISO upgrade states
Quote:
and extra expansion input/output.
Are these features also available under the N55 platform, or are the two tuners as different as night and day?

I am most interested in the expansion I/O. What exactly does that mean? Could I add the mentioned ethanol analyzer to the JB4 as an input and route it to read on my gauges or in a log? Could I have a switch somewhere to activate a feature as part of this I/O? Could I have an output triggered based on some engine parameter? Say, high IAT turns on a pump that sprays a mist on my intercooler.

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, GoFastBits DV+, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue