N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e92 BMW 335
Question Are all HID ballast the same? - 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM

I have a quick question regarding HID ballast. I bought the AlpineMss hid kit (http://www.alpinemss.com/product_p/hidan.htm) over a year ago, which looks amazing compared to other brands, and until recently my ballast finally went out, due to me flashing my car and completely draining the battery in the process. As of now, I get a park light error message every time I start the car. I've checked the fuse for the ballast, which was blown but I replaced it and the fuses on the inside of the car, for the park lights, and the lights still doesn't work. I want to replace the ballast without having to buy the whole kit which is pretty expensive. I've found a different HID kit, which I have installed on my bike and it looks great, and it looks the exact same as the Alpine kit, (http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-***...and-Components) the only difference is that there kits are rebadged, which I think all of the kits are. I wanted to know is there any difference in HID ballast? Could I buy the replacement DDM ballast and would it still work the same? If so, what wattage should I use 35w or 55w? I've used 10k in the past, this time I'm thinking of either 3k or 20k ae, which might be overkill but I could easily changed the bulb if needed. Thanks

E92 Chameleon AT 335I/ MMP Stage 3 turbos/ EOS manifold w PI/ PR Stage 3 Modular LPFP/ JB4 G5 + MHD/ BMS DCI/ BMS Cowl Filters/ BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve/ BMS OCC/ BMS Meth Kit/MMP inlets and outlets/ER CP w/ Synaspe BOV/ M2 Exhaust/VRSF **/ETS FMIC/ /N20TMAP/ R1 Concept Rotors and Brakes/ST V1 Coilovers/ 888Concept headlights/
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 335i sedan at
Default 11-18-2013, 02:07 PM

when my halo went out I got a parking light error. now my ballast is out and I het a different driving light error. from what I can see on my sedan is that I need a specific shape ballast since it is used as part of sealing the headlight.

2007 335i sedan: jb4 map3, bms meth kit, bms intake, oe *********

Personal 1/4 best: 12.18 @ 113.67 on run flat tires
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 11-18-2013, 04:21 PM

Re Angel Eye LEDs, maybe consider skipping the ballast altogether and just eliminate the error code with NCS Expert. That's what I did. Ballasts get very hot inside the headlight cavity. Can melt wires and what not.

Re fog light HIDs the ballasts need to match the bulb wattage. Could probably do some coding there too to get rid of errors in the dash. it's so easy to do now with BMW Coding Tool.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 335i sedan at
Default 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM

It surprises me that no-one knows/makes a direct fit replacement I have been searching for days and can't find anything. I did read that DDM is not a direct fit to keep headlight sealed. Can't find it all plugs are the same. But again I am in a sedan so I don't know about coupe.

2007 335i sedan: jb4 map3, bms meth kit, bms intake, oe *********

Personal 1/4 best: 12.18 @ 113.67 on run flat tires
(#5)
Old

Car: e92 BMW 335
Default 11-19-2013, 01:36 AM

Well I'm glad you have some info pertaining to the DDM kit. I was just about to order two ballast replacements. The only that the was holding me back was chance if getting error codes.

E92 Chameleon AT 335I/ MMP Stage 3 turbos/ EOS manifold w PI/ PR Stage 3 Modular LPFP/ JB4 G5 + MHD/ BMS DCI/ BMS Cowl Filters/ BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve/ BMS OCC/ BMS Meth Kit/MMP inlets and outlets/ER CP w/ Synaspe BOV/ M2 Exhaust/VRSF **/ETS FMIC/ /N20TMAP/ R1 Concept Rotors and Brakes/ST V1 Coilovers/ 888Concept headlights/