N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Default BMW B58 Intake Air Temp's - 07-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Hello All,

Noticed my M140i feeling a little sluggish recently. Looking for some help / advice please.

I'm running a JB4 (map 3) and a CSF Charge Cooler Rad is the only bolt on mod I have. Everything else is standard with regards to engine. MPE pre PPF. I did have a pipercross panel filter but was a bit too keen with the oil when I last cleaned it so I replaced it with OEM for now.

So before I start its worth mentioning that the UK is going through a heat wave at the moment, is uncomfortably humid and could very well be the answer to the sluggish behavior. I know the JB4 works as intended as i've had the car on a hub dyno around Christmas time and it was pushing out 370+ HP at the wheels. Well happy with that.

One thing I have noticed is my IAT's are a little high (I think) so may well be heat soak. Also since I've been experiencing the issue the WOT hesitation between 2nd / 3rd / 4th is much more apparent and mid pull seems to be lacking the kick up the arse that I'm used to. Feels as though the JB4 is fighting like hell to work its magic.

I've attached some logs. Pre CSF rad install without the issue apparent and two logs from today. One in Map 3 and one in Map 0. Probably worth mentioning that whilst in MAP 0 I don't experience the hesitation between gears. Feels much more smoother but is definitely slower! Outside temps today have been in the mid to high 30's C.

Also I'm struggling to find a schematic that shows the location of IAT sensor. I assume the charge air sensor does the same job?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers All,
Stu
Attached Files
File Type: zip LOGS.zip (237.9 KB, 40 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 07-25-2019, 02:37 PM

Hey and welcome Stu.

Yes, those IATs are high enough that you are going to feel it in performance.
It's not that the JB4 is working hard, it's that the DME knows enough to pull back.

Your logs don't appear to show you at WOT, and yet the IATs are approx 145-150~.
Were you WOT just prior to getting these crusing logs?

What is the ambient air temp during these logs?

Can you get a log in 3rd from 2000 to 7000 RPM (traction off, safely)?
This will show if there is any knock and a further rise in IATs.

Truth, while that RPM is the typical log collection, if you are really at that IAT, then I'd stop at 5000 RPM until you see that you have no knock happening.

An assumption on my part suggests you will need supplemental cooling, but we need the above to confirm. (example, my N54 only hits those Temps if I do 3 back to back pulls without any Meth, and just a 5" FMIC. now it sits around 100 under 17 PSI with meth, back to back to back with an ambient temp of 95*f)

** EDIT ** Your 'pre CSF rad- issue not apparent) file looks much better, at 100*f. However, you still never accelerate in this log either. Hard to get a gage of it during load without a good log.

Note: Don't zip logs. Just upload. Easier (and thus more likely) for everyone to review.

--

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (190,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual BM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
TMAP: 3.5 barr
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
RB PCV Valve
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Water Pump & TStat
(#3)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Default 07-26-2019, 04:23 AM

Hey cheers for the rapid response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Your logs don't appear to show you at WOT, and yet the IATs are approx 145-150~.
Were you WOT just prior to getting these crusing logs?
Apologies I'm sure I was flat out at some point. May not have been @ WOT long enough.

Quote:
What is the ambient air temp during these logs?
Was around 33-36 C. So around 91 - 96 F (Now I've seen this I think I'm probably expecting too much from the air-to-water cooler)

Quote:
Can you get a log in 3rd from 2000 to 7000 RPM (traction off, safely)?
This will show if there is any knock and a further rise in IATs.
With pleasure find attached. For these logs I enabled WOT Auto logging. The first log I got a bit of slip but logs 2 & 3 I am definitely WOT in 3rd & 4th all the way to the limiter. The last log is where I pull over engine off for 5 mins and then have a steady cruise. With a quick blast.

It felt much better today however the ambient temps are much lower @ 73 - 75*F

Cheers
Stu

Last edited by rsturbomad; 07-26-2019 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: typo