N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Turbo timer ST setups - 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM

I know it has been discussed in the past but with so many of us going single turbo and most just being only oil feed turbos is a possibility reconsider of doing some kind of hardware update with a turbo timer option/security where it shutdown if goes in gear or something along those lines.
I know factory the water pump stays on but since that wont help at all for the ST turbo guys. Honestly be another cool selling point for JB4! Appreciate any consideration
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM

Car needs to be running for oil to be pumping. If not, you'd want a water cooled turbo for that, but that's for old school journal bearing tech. Not really needed for this stuff. Just let the car sit for a minute if you did some hard driving before shutting off.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Car needs to be running for oil to be pumping. If not, you'd want a water cooled turbo for that, but that's for old school journal bearing tech. Not really needed for this stuff. Just let the car sit for a minute if you did some hard driving before shutting off.
I completely understand how it works. Would be really nice to just get up and go and let the car do its thing, with all feature JB4 has it would seem like it would b really easy.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDE/E92
I completely understand how it works. Would be really nice to just get up and go and let the car do its thing, with all feature JB4 has it would seem like it would b really easy.
To make the water pump stay on?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
To make the water pump stay on?
No make it work like any other TT would work, keep the engine running few minutes and shutdown when the timer finishes or the e-brake goes down.
(#6)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 04-30-2019, 01:04 PM

What decade are we in? lol

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#7)
Old

Default 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
What decade are we in? lol
Is there a better way to cool down the turbo... please school me.
(#8)
Old

Car: Eclipse GSX, Infiniti G35
Default 05-06-2019, 11:19 PM

Turbo timers LOL we are no longer in the 90s. We have awesome synthetic oil and modern turbos no longer need them.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 05-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDE/E92
Is there a better way to cool down the turbo... please school me.
Don't put heat into it 60 seconds before shutting it off.....

This is really a very simple concept.

This is like saying you want to cover your car in tires like a tugboat because you keep bumping into stuff. Just stop bumping into stuff.

A water cooled center section doesn't guarantee that you won't get oil coking. It just keeps the max oil temp lower (which doesn't help with shut down times at all) and it cools back down faster. Say 30 seconds instead of 60.

Here's a N54 (water cooled turbos) where the owner clearly liked to do pulls right before shutting the car off.

Turbo smoking from clogged line, now what? - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

In order of importance

1) Don't flog the car when you know you have to shut it off soon.
2) Keep up with oil change intervals
3) Use synthetic oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanteyez
Turbo timers LOL we are no longer in the 90s. We have awesome synthetic oil and modern turbos no longer need them.
This is completely false. It's still VERY much possible to coke oil. Reference link above.
(#10)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 05-08-2019, 04:58 AM

Actually, it’s 3 minutes for a proper cool down of a turbo. This information is in all the heavy equipment manuals, because there is equipment that runs full throttle for 10+ hrs a day. The engine,hydraulic, and cooling systems take severe loads when running, and every part suffers from the number 1 cause..heat! Without going into an all off topic rumble, every turbo car should at the least, have a two minute cool down to bring the temp down. There’s going to be a lot of opinions about this, the equipment operators know what I’m talking about.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 05-08-2019, 10:08 AM

I was being facetious with the 60 seconds. When I did have a turbo timer in a car (previously installed) I think it was set for 90 seconds. But 3 minutes would definitely be preferred if I had just had the engine under load