N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#476)
Old

Car: 2019 RS3
Default 09-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Hey George! Hope this finds you well. I've been bitten by the bug and its time for an ECU tune. I plan to run JB4 in tandem due to its safety features, but when I was telling a guy about this, he said that JB4 cannot monitor the safety of the motor any better than the ECU can already do on its own. I recall you guys telling me that it can detect knock in all 5 cyl, whereas the ECU cannot? Or did I get that wrong. Can you please itemize what benefits JB4 has over the ECU tune, and why its a good idea to run it stacked? thank you!
(#477)
Old

Default 09-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc61940542
I received a new board, but still no boost everyday,It’s crazy when it’s normal, but most of the time it’s not boosted properly.
Have you tried repositioning it and reseating all the connectors? I haven't had it happen to me once after I did this. I also ran the wires away from any other electrical to make sure there's no interference. I can't help but feel that issue has to be related to positioning since I had this problem terribly and now its working absolutely fantastic
(#478)
Old

Default 09-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Just sent you a email to test for first gear and changing to additive.

Still patiently waiting for a reply to my question above
(#479)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 09-24-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardo19
Still patiently waiting for a reply to my question above
Sorry about that.
You can run it in map 0 in pass through mode and take advantage of the lean protection and boost safety. If you go this route email me and we can set it up.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#480)
Old

Default 09-24-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that.
You can run it in map 0 in pass through mode and take advantage of the lean protection and boost safety. If you go this route email me and we can set it up.

Great! Yes, but I was more asking how JB4 differs in the ECU's standard safety features, and what addt'l benefits it offers that the ECU cannot. I am specifically asking because I often see posts on FB that speculate on this topic, and its nice to have the information so I can advocate why it might be a good idea to stack them and run in tandem - versus selling the JB4 altogether (or some might want to purchase one even if they already have a tune). It seems like it would be a worthwhile combo, but I cannot explain that adequately unless I know the details. Cheers
(#481)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardo19
Great! Yes, but I was more asking how JB4 differs in the ECU's standard safety features, and what addt'l benefits it offers that the ECU cannot. I am specifically asking because I often see posts on FB that speculate on this topic, and its nice to have the information so I can advocate why it might be a good idea to stack them and run in tandem - versus selling the JB4 altogether (or some might want to purchase one even if they already have a tune). It seems like it would be a worthwhile combo, but I cannot explain that adequately unless I know the details. Cheers
With the JB4 you can define a maximum boost level before boost is dropped, it can monitor AFR and abort a run if it shifts too lean, or if fuel pressure drops too low. The factory tuning will let you chug along at high boost with dangerous vitals for reasons unknown. If using WMI there are also more advanced safety systems to avoid tip in knock, detune if fluid runs low, etc. And those are just the basics already in there. We have some additional RS specific safety systems we're testing here.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#482)
Old

Default 09-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
With the JB4 you can define a maximum boost level before boost is dropped, it can monitor AFR and abort a run if it shifts too lean, or if fuel pressure drops too low. The factory tuning will let you chug along at high boost with dangerous vitals for reasons unknown. If using WMI there are also more advanced safety systems to avoid tip in knock, detune if fluid runs low, etc. And those are just the basics already in there. We have some additional RS specific safety systems we're testing here.
That's absolutely fantastic information. Thanks Terry! I plan to stack - my only hope is that on map 0 - we don't encounter the phantom boost drop. Even so - its not happened to me again in a while - or if it has, i haven't noticed. so i definitely plan to do this. but its nice to know I can have additional safety. thanks for your time.
(#483)
Old

Car: Audi RS3 8V2/ BMW M3 E92
Default 10-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Hi guys,
So I have a problem and a question.
I own RS3 8v2 and I just installed my JB4. I noticed from time to time that the car loose come power. 2nd gear full throttle - all good, than 3rd great still throttle is down goes OK to 5000rpm and lose power. Still accelerates but very slow. Pul back the gas, hit it again and all is good. Whan can be the problem? I run Map 2. So far I got on my car Wagner ******** kit without precatalyst converter and 2x 200CPSI Racing catalyst.
And the second thing is - If I remove the racing catalyst and put the original strait *****, will there be some light going on the dash because of it or with JB4 I can fix it?
(#484)
Old
Legend

Default 10-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.ivanov01
Hi guys,
So I have a problem and a question.
I own RS3 8v2 and I just installed my JB4. I noticed from time to time that the car loose come power. 2nd gear full throttle - all good, than 3rd great still throttle is down goes OK to 5000rpm and lose power. Still accelerates but very slow. Pul back the gas, hit it again and all is good. Whan can be the problem? I run Map 2. So far I got on my car Wagner ******** kit without precatalyst converter and 2x 200CPSI Racing catalyst.
And the second thing is - If I remove the racing catalyst and put the original strait *****, will there be some light going on the dash because of it or with JB4 I can fix it?
That is the boost loss issue we trying to work out.

Not sure if I understand but with stock pipe you can clear the lights. If you put a straight through pipe relative you will get engine lihgts.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#485)
Old

Default 10-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Yeah I know that I’ll get engine light, but of you remap your ECU you can lie the sensor somehow and you don’t get engine light. I’ve seen 2 cars with strait pipe and no problem. Can I lie the sensor with JB4 as well?
Today once I got some error with code : 5F2F
on the JB4 it doesn’t have description I couldn’t even find it on google. Does someone knows what it is?
Also please let me know when you fix the part with the boost loss.
Thanks

Last edited by i.ivanov01; 10-03-2019 at 02:47 PM..
(#486)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM

A remap would have been better choice for stage 2 mods.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#487)
Old

Default 10-05-2019, 03:55 AM

So the problem is still going on.
I was driving the car for 10 days with ********* and there was no problem.

I fitted the JB4 and for the last 3 days I always have error “5F2F” and I cannot clear it. Also the engine light is ON.
(#488)
Old

Default 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Hi
So the check engine was because of the *****.

How is the work going for the boost loss issue?
(#489)
Old
Legend

Default 10-10-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Hi
So the check engine was because of the *****.

How is the work going for the boost loss issue?
Its something we working on continuously.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#490)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Worry not still working on it, some day this will be fully resolved!!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#491)
Old

Default 10-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So the problem is still going on.
I was driving the car for 10 days with ********* and there was no problem.

I fitted the JB4 and for the last 3 days I always have error “5F2F” and I cannot clear it. Also the engine light is ON.
i also had trouble clearing codes with JB4. If you have a newer RS3 - there is something with the hood being closed that locks out certain functions with the ecu. you might try opening the hood and clearing again. if you codes are related to changing to an aftermarket dwnpp, you can get spacers for the sensor - but i do hear they aren't the greatest solution. ultimately, its best to run a dwnpp with a tune meant for those modifications. I have my JB4 stacked on top of a tune and am enjoying the best of both worlds. cheers
(#492)
Old

Car: Audi RS3
Default 10-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Had a new one happen yesterday - the car went into 'no boost' mode after a 'bobble' in 3rd. I assumed it had kicked me to map 8, however when I pulled up the app, I was still map 3. No amount of pressing and letting off nor gear change resolved it. I changed to map 2 with no change. I finally turned the car fully off and then back on and everything seemed to fix itself temporarily, however after that one issue I went back to having low/no boost almost every single launch. This morning I disconnected the JB4 and will leave it off until there is something else from the BMS team to report back on.

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.
Tow-Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 4x4 + Hemi

Past:
2000 3.8L Mustang - All bolt ons, 8.8 rear conversion
2007 Honda Accord - I had a moment of “sensible-ness”
2011 BMW 335D - Custom intake, JBD
2014 Audi S4 - Intake, Chipwerke, Couple of VCDS mods
(#493)
Old
Legend

Default 10-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk
Had a new one happen yesterday - the car went into 'no boost' mode after a 'bobble' in 3rd. I assumed it had kicked me to map 8, however when I pulled up the app, I was still map 3. No amount of pressing and letting off nor gear change resolved it. I changed to map 2 with no change. I finally turned the car fully off and then back on and everything seemed to fix itself temporarily, however after that one issue I went back to having low/no boost almost every single launch. This morning I disconnected the JB4 and will leave it off until there is something else from the BMS team to report back on.
Sounds like a limp mode. No faults?

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#494)
Old

Car: Audi RS3
Default 10-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a limp mode. No faults?
No codes and nothing on the dash at the time of the issues.

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.
Tow-Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 4x4 + Hemi

Past:
2000 3.8L Mustang - All bolt ons, 8.8 rear conversion
2007 Honda Accord - I had a moment of “sensible-ness”
2011 BMW 335D - Custom intake, JBD
2014 Audi S4 - Intake, Chipwerke, Couple of VCDS mods
(#495)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Flashed one of our development cars with the APR Stage1 so we can work on dedicated back end flash map tuning for our more aggressive customers.

Quick log on the 93 octane map, car is running E34 (Fuel-IT sensor kit), otherwise stock. JB4 on map0 disabling it. Interesting to see fuel pressure already starting to crash here on the E85 mix.. Probably due to the richer AFR level at 11.7:1 compared to the stock tuning. Time to get JB4 AFR control active I think.

1/4 mile was 11.15@123mph.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#496)
Old

Default 10-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Flashed one of our development cars with the APR Stage1 so we can work on dedicated back end flash map tuning for our more aggressive customers.

Quick log on the 93 octane map, car is running E34 (Fuel-IT sensor kit), otherwise stock. JB4 on map0 disabling it. Interesting to see fuel pressure already starting to crash here on the E85 mix.. Probably due to the richer AFR level at 11.7:1 compared to the stock tuning. Time to get JB4 AFR control active I think.

1/4 mile was 11.15@123mph.
Perhaps upgraded port injectors would help? Surprised to see this on E34. Some are running e85 without issues on stock injectors
(#497)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-15-2019, 06:43 PM

It's just a function of the tuning being richer on the pump flash relative to stock I think. We don't see this drop on the factory flash running higher boost levels.

Burger Motorsports

(#498)
Old

Car: F06 N55 640i Gran Coupe
Default 10-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Good to know Terry is spending time on this car 💪🏻

2014/2009 M4/335 COUPE
FULL CF Add On All around, Gloss/Matt Custom Wrap
JB4 Stack On BM3/MHD ECU tune, Upgraded S2 Turbo
Custom Cold Air, Dual nozzle charge pipe
SSP 900 Clutch kit, Custom Spoiler
AndyTuning Custom Map 6
SS DP n FULL Custom Exhaust
Custom BC forge 18/17 set up
Brembo Gt 380mm F&R/ 355mm F&R
(#499)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Would be useful to get "freeze frame" data from cars having that fault so we can use that as another tool to hone in on it.

Burger Motorsports

(#500)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 10-18-2019, 02:45 PM

In my case, the car has never triggered any faults when there is no boost. The new board does run better for me but not perfect. Driving around town on map0, there is a noticeable difference in responsiveness between the old and new board. Map0 being pass-trough, the JB4 is introducing some sort of interference.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX