N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#201)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM

Hi All,

My objective is to gain octane & additional fueling distributed evenly across all cylinders. Hence, Meth PI (E85 is not an option for me).

I am trying to do the following:

1) Meth Injection to Phoneix Intake Manifold (I have 750cc injectors)
2) Meth to Chargepipe (DO4 nozzle) for IAT readings since the injectors spray after the sensor
3) PI and FSB stays intact
4) Pressure Sensor to measure the flow and report back to JB4

All hardware and lines are done. I couldn't install the sensor on the rail due to clearance issues but managed to install it with a T connector before the PI rail.

I've gathered all the details from multiple threads which made the below steps. However, I made changes to some of them to achieve my goals. The changes are marked in red.

Meth PI with Single Charge Pipe Meth Nozzle (Wiring Setup)

PI Controller:
1. Black connects to ground
2. Red connects to JB4 power on green connector
3. Yellow goes to the BMS data cable (Thin wire with DSUB pin) #9
4. White usually goes to JB4 DB25 harness spot #15 (where fsb blue would normally go) but in my case, I am connecting a pressure sensor output for flow control and keep both the white from the PI and the blue from the FSB disconnected.
5. Purple goes in the JB4 small gray sub-connector #21 as read from the female side
6. Orange wire is a +12v output for your second fuel pump OR WMI PUMP (if running meth port injection), it has a maximum output of around 2 amps so run it through a 30amp relay. (I will not connect this to the pump as I will use FSB to trigger the pump instead).

FSB Setup:
1. Black to Ground
2. Red goes to tree socket 12 v
3. The other red goes to meth pump 12 v
4. Green cable from FSB to solenoid
5. Orange to JB4 PIN #2
6. Blue to JB4 PIN #15 (this will be removed and replaced by the pressure sensor)

Pressure Sensor Setup: (from fuel-it)
1. Black to Ground
2. Red goes to power + 12 v
3. Third wire goes to JB4 DB25 harness spot #15

JB4 Setup
1) JB4 has the latest firmware
2) Fuel bias set to 50 for all RPM spots. This indicates to run the JB4s default curve. From that point you can raise or lower the values by RPM to tell the JB4 to add more or less fuel based on the current tuning conditions. Note the JB4 also takes in to account gear, low fuel pressure, rate of boost gain, intake temperatures, and other factors to arrive at a final port injection output. The output value is displayed as fuel-enrich in JB4 logs.
3) Set "meth scaling" to 99. When port injection is flowing you should see a meth flow trace appear in JB4 logs that mirrors "fuel enrichment" (port injection dutycycle request). If the trace is stuck at 0 there is likely a wiring or setup issue.
4) Menu8 in dash must be set to 0, unless vehicle is manual transmission equipped with a NLS/2STEP relay.

Can anyone verify if my setup is correct?

2008 335i E92 AT (M Sport Package) | JB4 G5 ISO + MHD BMS Pump | Back-end Flash | xHP Stage 3 TCU | AFE Intake Scoops | AR *** | Wagner EVO 2 Competition Intercooler | BMS Phoenix Chargepipe | Devils Own Meth Kit with FSB (Dual 14CM + CM14 Meth Nozzles) | BMS Catch Can | VTT GC TURBO | RB PCV Valve | VTT Inlets | VTT Aluminum Turbo Outlet (ceramic coated) | Tial BOV | Walbro stage 2 LPFP | CP Forged Pistons 84mm | VAC HP Rod & Main Bearings | CP Connecting RODs with CARR bolts

Last edited by alghawas; 03-03-2019 at 12:48 AM..
(#202)
Old

Car: 2009 E92 n54, 7''fmic, ********, jb4g5 2step relay, bms dci occ chargepipe synapse bov
Default 03-01-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alghawas
Hi All,

My objective is to gain octane & additional fueling distributed evenly across all cylinders. Hence, Meth PI (E85 is not an option for me).

I am trying to do the following:

1) Meth Injection to Phoneix Intake Manifold (I have 750cc injectors)
2) Meth to Chargepipe (DO4 nozzle) for IAT readings since the injectors spray after the sensor
3) PI and FSB stays intact
4) Pressure Sensor to measure the flow and report back to JB4

All hardware and lines are done. I couldn't install the sensor on the rail due to clearance issues but managed to install it in the hood 3 feet away from the rail.

I've gathered all the details from multiple threads which made the below steps. However, I made changes to some of them to achieve my goals. The changes are marked in red.

Meth PI with Single Charge Pipe Meth Nozzle (Wiring Setup)

PI Controller:
1. Black connects to ground
2. Red connects to JB4 power on green connector
3. Yellow goes to the BMS data cable (Thin wire with DSUB pin) #9
4. White usually goes to JB4 DB25 harness spot #15 (where fsb blue would normally go) but in my case, I am connecting a pressure sensor output for flow control and keep both the white from the PI and the blue from the FSB disconnected.
5. Purple goes in the JB4 small gray sub-connector #21 as read from the female side
6. Orange wire is a +12v output for your second fuel pump OR WMI PUMP (if running meth port injection), it has a maximum output of around 2 amps so run it through a 30amp relay. (I will not connect this to the pump as I will use FSB to trigger the pump instead).

FSB Setup:
1. Black to Ground
2. Red goes to tree socket 12 v
3. The other red goes to meth pump 12 v
4. Green cable from FSB to solenoid
5. Orange to JB4 PIN #2
6. Blue to JB4 PIN #15 (this will be removed and replaced by the pressure sensor)

Pressure Sensor Setup: (from fuel-it)
1. Black to Ground
2. Red goes to power + 12 v
3. Third wire goes to JB4 DB25 harness spot #15

JB4 Setup
1) JB4 has the latest firmware
2) Fuel bias set to 50 for all RPM spots. This indicates to run the JB4s default curve. From that point you can raise or lower the values by RPM to tell the JB4 to add more or less fuel based on the current tuning conditions. Note the JB4 also takes in to account gear, low fuel pressure, rate of boost gain, intake temperatures, and other factors to arrive at a final port injection output. The output value is displayed as fuel-enrich in JB4 logs.
3) Set "meth scaling" to 99. When port injection is flowing you should see a meth flow trace appear in JB4 logs that mirrors "fuel enrichment" (port injection dutycycle request). If the trace is stuck at 0 there is likely a wiring or setup issue.
4) Menu8 in dash must be set to 0, unless vehicle is manual transmission equipped with a NLS/2STEP relay.

Can anyone verify if my setup is correct?
Interesting setup if it works im tempted to do the exact same,

cant find info on the pressure sensor, is it a E9x n55 LPFP sensor ?
(#203)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Hi All,
Sorry for late reply, yes that looks generally correct to me. We'll be monitoring WMI pressure under the meth column and using that for the mapping rather than injector current this way.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#204)
Old

Default 03-02-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgu40
Interesting setup if it works im tempted to do the exact same,

cant find info on the pressure sensor, is it a E9x n55 LPFP sensor ?
Iíll post log results once setup is completed. I got the pressure sensor from Fuel-It. Please contact them for more details.

2008 335i E92 AT (M Sport Package) | JB4 G5 ISO + MHD BMS Pump | Back-end Flash | xHP Stage 3 TCU | AFE Intake Scoops | AR *** | Wagner EVO 2 Competition Intercooler | BMS Phoenix Chargepipe | Devils Own Meth Kit with FSB (Dual 14CM + CM14 Meth Nozzles) | BMS Catch Can | VTT GC TURBO | RB PCV Valve | VTT Inlets | VTT Aluminum Turbo Outlet (ceramic coated) | Tial BOV | Walbro stage 2 LPFP | CP Forged Pistons 84mm | VAC HP Rod & Main Bearings | CP Connecting RODs with CARR bolts
(#205)
Old

Default 03-02-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Sorry for late reply, yes that looks generally correct to me. We'll be monitoring WMI pressure under the meth column and using that for the mapping rather than injector current this way.
Thanks for your feedback Terry. Iíll post the logs once I do a few runs for your review.

(#206)
Old

Default 03-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Iíll post log results once setup is completed. I got the pressure sensor from Fuel-It. Please contact them for more details.
Here are my logs. The fuelen shows a value and trims go down but it doesn't boost above 15psi. I've tried to set Fuel Bias to 50, 60, 80 and 100 but same results.

Let me know what you think
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map-3-fuel50.csv (6.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: csv Map-3-fuel60.csv (8.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: csv Map-3-fuel80.csv (12.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: csv Map-3-fuel100.csv (13.6 KB, 77 views)

(#207)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-02-2019, 01:36 PM

There is no input signal from the pressure sensor registering under meth flow.. Sure it's installed properly?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#208)
Old

Default 03-02-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
There is no input signal from the pressure sensor registering under meth flow.. Sure it's installed properly?
Hi Terry,

I double checked the pressure sensor setup and it seems correct as far as I can see. I also checked the pins from the pressure sensor connector to the end of the cable (in case there is a short somewhere) but no issues.

The pressure sensor is attached to a "T" connector prior to connecting to the intake manifold.

I've also attached photos of the following:

1) Engine Setup
2) Meth Piping (Tank => Filter => Solenoid=> CPI => Pressure Sensor => PMI Rail)
3) Pressure Sensor Physical Placement
4) Pressure Sensor Feedback Cable connection (I've cut the "blue" cable that was previously connected from the FSB connected to the JB4 pin and instead connected the white cable from the pressure sensor feedback cable to it)
5) Pressure Sensor Ground and Live Cable (Connected to JB4 live and ground cables)
6) PI Controller Wiring (Yellow and Purple)

Appreciate your feedback and guidance
Attached Images

Last edited by alghawas; 03-03-2019 at 08:09 AM..
(#209)
Old

Default 03-03-2019, 10:41 AM

I also want to know if I can connect the pump directly to the rail by skipping the solinoid and then use a “T” connection to a solenoid and then to the chargepipe nozzle?

Last edited by alghawas; 03-03-2019 at 12:47 PM..
(#210)
Old

Car: 335xi 2010 E90
Default 03-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I also want to know if I can connect the pump directly to the rail by skipping the solinoid and then use a “T” connection to a solenoid and then to the chargepipe nozzle?
This is exactly what I did. The PI does not need to have a solenoid at all. Only needed if you inject with a smaller nozzle in the CP, then this nozzle need to be after the solenoid.

For the 200psi sensor you have, I got the same sensor in the 300psi range that I have connected on a custom screen in-dash. The pressure reading output is not always stable so I am not sure about the quality of those. Maybe yours is defective. The way you connected it seems like it should.

just side note, it seems you did a good job for soldering and heatshrink but you left a wire nut (yellow) in a critical path...

2010 E90 335XI 6AT with XPH stage 3 | JB4 G5 W/Trebila Tune | RB Next Gen+ | RB hot side INLETs | VRSF high flow OUTLETS | custom Stage 3 LPFP | ETS FMIC | MODDED VRSF CP | TIAL Q | BMS METH KIT CM10+CM5 | MMP Port Injection Gen2 | AR DESIGN cer. downP | BMS/MITSH OCC's | RB external PCV w/plugged HEAD | Best 1/4: 11.47@123mph
(#211)
Old

Default 03-04-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephtech
This is exactly what I did. The PI does not need to have a solenoid at all. Only needed if you inject with a smaller nozzle in the CP, then this nozzle needs to be after the solenoid.
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that it's possible. I'll change my setup to just that as I have all the fittings needed.

Quote:
For the 200psi sensor you have, I got the same sensor in the 300psi range that I have connected on a custom screen in-dash. The pressure reading output is not always stable so I am not sure about the quality of those. Maybe yours is defective. The way you connected it seems like it should.
Does your pressure sensor have an in-dash screen and is also connected to pin 15 on JB4?

How much inconsistency do you have in pressure? and what pump do you use?

I got my 200psi pressure sensor from Fuel-IT along with the port injection manifold kit. I've contacted them for assistance in case they are defective.

Quote:
just side note, it seems you did a good job for soldering and heatshrink but you left a wire nut (yellow) in a critical path...
Thanks

Do you mean it's squeezed beside the grey data cable?

(#212)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2019, 04:07 PM

Use a volt meter to see what sort of voltage you get off the sensor signal wire when turning on the WMI pump manually. It should spike up.

Burger Motorsports

(#213)
Old

Default 03-05-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that it's possible. I'll change my setup to just that as I have all the fittings needed.

Does your pressure sensor have an in-dash screen and is also connected to pin 15 on JB4?

How much inconsistency do you have in pressure? and what pump do you use?

I got my 200psi pressure sensor from Fuel-IT along with the port injection manifold kit. I've contacted them for assistance in case they are defective.

Thanks

Do you mean it's squeezed beside the grey data cable?
My sensor output is only getting displayed on an LCD screen on my dash, not yet interfaced on the JB4 because it is not always stable.

I just realized that my sensor is required to be connected on 5V and NOT 12V...you may want to double check with Fuel-It if is it the same for yours. If it is, then you would most likely had fried the sensor. I am running the BMS pump DDP5800 through the FSB. My inconsistency seems more obvious when pump is not running, pressure seems to buildup even with the pump not running. I am suspecting something heat related, I have another sensor en route for swapping.

As for your wire nut, see below picture
Attached Images

2010 E90 335XI 6AT with XPH stage 3 | JB4 G5 W/Trebila Tune | RB Next Gen+ | RB hot side INLETs | VRSF high flow OUTLETS | custom Stage 3 LPFP | ETS FMIC | MODDED VRSF CP | TIAL Q | BMS METH KIT CM10+CM5 | MMP Port Injection Gen2 | AR DESIGN cer. downP | BMS/MITSH OCC's | RB external PCV w/plugged HEAD | Best 1/4: 11.47@123mph
(#214)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Use a volt meter to see what sort of voltage you get off the sensor signal wire when turning on the WMI pump manually. It should spike up.

Sorry, but how do I measure a single cable reading?

(#215)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
My sensor output is only getting displayed on an LCD screen on my dash, not yet interfaced on the JB4 because it is not always stable.

I just realized that my sensor is required to be connected on 5V and NOT 12V...you may want to double check with Fuel-It if is it the same for yours. If it is, then you would most likely had fried the sensor. I am running the BMS pump DDP5800 through the FSB. My inconsistency seems more obvious when pump is not running, pressure seems to buildup even with the pump not running. I am suspecting something heat related, I have another sensor en route for swapping.
Yes, emailed fuel-it and they said it's 5v. I fixed that but may have been too late! It seems that my sensor is toast because it was connected to a 12v source initially. It still didn't give me readings.

Why don't you put the pressure sensor close to the tank? (if you have a rear setup). Yes, it will read early but your reading output from the pressure sensor should improve.

Quote:
As for your wire nut, see below picture
Thanks, got it!

(#216)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Why don't you put the pressure sensor close to the tank? (if you have a rear setup). Yes, it will read early but your reading output from the pressure sensor should improve.
sensor is installed in the front, post filter. If there is a clog in the system, being after the filter I would catch it.

(#217)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 03-21-2019, 05:28 PM

BUMP!

Any update on adding an in-line pressure sensor to the JB4 port meth injection setup for added safety? Iíve been wanting this for a while now and with we bad. better solution like aquamist did with the in-line flow sensor.

Quote:
Yes, emailed fuel-it and they said it's 5v. I fixed that but may have been too late! It seems that my sensor is toast because it was connected to a 12v source initially. It still didn't give me readings.

Thanks, got it!
(#218)
Old

Default 03-27-2019, 01:17 PM

any news on the pressure sensor integration?
(#219)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2019, 07:28 PM

We support it and a few customers have installed it. Works well. Not sure if Fuel-IT is marketing it yet though.

Burger Motorsports

(#220)
Old

Default 03-27-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
We support it and a few customers have installed it. Works well. Not sure if Fuel-IT is marketing it yet though.
Do you have steps on how to integrate it and is there an update JB4 hex for it to be used? Has it all been calibrated in as well? I was thinking of installing a 300psi prwssure sensor in line right before the fuel rail.

I sent yourself and steve an email asking for details as well.

Appreciate the help as always!
(#221)
Old

Car: bmw 335i e92 AT
Default 04-03-2019, 07:48 AM

Hello.
I have a 335i n54 at doc race single turbo 6466 + PI meth injection kit with 750cc + stage 2 fuel it lpfp + BB back end flash I8aos ST PI TS.

I set map 1 and did the first runs and everithing was ok.
I need help with configuration.
Next runs will be on map 2 ( set dutybias all to 50, ff: 20) then 3 and 4. If everythings went ok, I will go to map 8
As I read, I will set meth flow scaling to 99, fuel bias to 50 meth additive to 40.
Is this correct?? Any suggestion??
(#222)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiabetes
Hello.
I have a 335i n54 at doc race single turbo 6466 + PI meth injection kit with 750cc + stage 2 fuel it lpfp + BB back end flash I8aos ST PI TS.

I set map 1 and did the first runs and everithing was ok.
I need help with configuration.
Next runs will be on map 2 ( set dutybias all to 50, ff: 20) then 3 and 4. If everythings went ok, I will go to map 8
As I read, I will set meth flow scaling to 99, fuel bias to 50 meth additive to 40.
Is this correct?? Any suggestion??
Post logs in the support section so we can take a look

Burger Motorsports

(#223)
Old

Default 04-04-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Post logs in the support section so we can take a look

Here is the log map 8.
Attached Files
File Type: csv mapa8.csv (19.3 KB, 50 views)
(#224)
Old

Default 04-04-2019, 11:57 PM

Another log map 8.
Every run boost under target. But no codes.
Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: csv mapa8.csv (14.1 KB, 52 views)
(#225)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i 2007 N54
Default WMI what BEF Map - 04-28-2019, 05:13 AM

Hi Guys,

I just installed the bms wmi kit and I wanted to make sure of one thing! The only gas option where I live is 91 octane, but since I am running wmi now can I use the race gas bef? Running jb4 with mhd bef. Running with map 3 right now.

Upgrades:
Bms intercooler
Bms charge pipe with turbosmart BOV
Jb4
Down pipe
Afe air filter intake
Bms wmi with single nozzle (10)

I used the factory setting for wmi as mentionned in the install instruction!

Last edited by Fredm21; 04-28-2019 at 05:28 AM..