N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default LPFP removal/install issues - 06-26-2017, 08:01 AM

So I decided to do the removal and installation myself and here is what occurred.

As I was loosening the metal clamping ring to get to the stock lpfp, the white ring that is part of the gas tank was clocked during this operation. I did not notice this until it was time to install the stage 2 lpfp. I used a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to position to the desired clocking orientation and when I was almost done this white plastic ring cracked at the side.

I decided to temporary finish the lpfp instl'n with this cracked white plastic ring since once the metal clamping ring was on it and I was able to tighten the clamping ring, in theory everything is fine.

The roadblock I'm having is that everything is somehow tight, but it need to be a bit more tighter. If I continue to torque the metal clamping ring it turns that white ring also away from the notched dedicated for it to lock in place, therefore clocking the lpfp also.

Anybody know if I can use a glue to lock this ring in place on the neck of the fuel tank so it will not turn when I decide to tighten the metal ring?

Anybody have a spare fuel tank and can remove this white plastic ring.

What kind of plastic is our fuel tank made from, I was thinking of cementing/glue that white ring to the neck of the tank.

Last edited by mikeseli; 06-26-2017 at 08:53 AM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-26-2017, 04:58 PM

This is a bad scenario.

Dealer only sells a complete tank replacement as those rings aren't really replaceable.

Ring should be nylon, in the future, I'd definitely recommend using our ring tool.

If that crack exists, whether you get the lock ring on or not, you will have a leak. It needs to be fixed properly and best case is probably a tank from a salvage yard.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 06-26-2017, 05:06 PM

Why why why would you spend all the money on a stage 2 upgrade and not buy the tool?!

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Single Turbo Build Thread HERE

ACF PTE 6062 BB Top Mount ST Kit, Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP, Phoenix Racing Port Injection Manifold + RACE FMIC, JB4 + BMS ST E85 PI BEF
(#4)
Old

Default 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Guys, I bought that tool and during loosening of the metal locking ring, the white plastic ring was also clocked. I realized this when the lpfp stg.2 was all hooked up in the tank and all needed was the install the cover and clamping ring.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2017, 09:44 PM

Then why were you using a screw driver? If the collar rotates when taking the ring off, you can rotate it back in place when you put the ring back on. Generally the collar shouldn't rotate and if it starts to, it's best to use some WD40 to break up the corrosion.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-01-2017, 06:59 PM

I glued the with plastic ring on the tank's neck with J-B weld plastic bonder and everything turn out perfect.

There was lots of prepping to do like clean the white ring and tanks neck and then sand both surfaces and secure the white ring in place with a tie wrap and some lockwire and to my surprise it bonded like it was meant to be.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM

If you want a fuel tank I got one laying around the shop. Located in Illinois.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms335i
If you want a fuel tank I got one laying around the shop. Located in Illinois.
Thanks. I'm all good now, just want others to know about my experience and how to repair it if it occurs.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Let us know how it does when exposed to fuel over time. Keep an eye on it.