N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1926)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
Congrats on the JB1!!
default +3 psi boost setting of the JB1 is a great way to start. Do some runs and if you picked up the BMS cable or my favorite for convenience the JB4 Bluetooth Kit, post the logs of your Q60 SS for peer review. As for DWP, it is a matter of personal preference - my SS liked a setting of 38.
What exactly is the DWP setting? Is this the rate of the Wastegate opening?

2016 Q50 Red Sport
BMS JB4 Map 1
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#1927)
Old

Car: q60
Default 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfeen
I ran my RS on JB1 @ +4 93 octane no problems and @ +5psi 100 octane mix and went 12.6 @ 111
I also run +4 with a jb4 and start to taper around 5500rpm and according to the logs it seems fine. (Tho I do have a 3" do and exhaust to stock muffler).

12.6 isn't that great...I've read of stock red sports running around there... BUT I'm not criticizing, I only dynos 336whp while other cars/dynos are at 375...sigh. I guess in time if this engine catches on people will understand the nuances of it.

Part of what matters is if the cars feels fast enough for you. With the jb4 and **/exhaust I'm pretty happy . (for now lol) also the car seems to really float at around 200kph
(#1928)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 01-04-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFitty
What exactly is the DWP setting? Is this the rate of the Wastegate opening?
Check post #586 for a bit more detail on what lowering / increasing the DWP number (default on the JB1 if I recall was set to 30) does for acceleration. I found the default 30 left my SS with a touchy pedal on normal acceleration - if I got just a bit too heavy on the pedal I was going to feel impact of the JB1 (fun but we donít always want to launch from the stop light.) By taking the DWP number up to 38 I very rarely felt the abrupt boost feeling. Once I upgraded to the JB4 all of the stock smoothness was there but now with the additional boost across the entire pedal arch.
(#1929)
Old

Default 01-04-2018, 09:02 PM

Can the DWG setting be altered with the jb4?

I sometimes feel it's a bit harsh....
(#1930)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50
Default 01-04-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFitty
Why would you not want to keep the same boost level across the higher rpms as you wound the mid range rpms? This would give the effects of an increase of mid range power and minor increase of top end power.
Turbo efficiency declines at high RPM. Check out the efficiency island that Stillen put up on their blog site https://blog.stillen.com/2016/12/to-...s/#comment-270

Quote:
I ran my RS on JB1 @ +4 93 octane no problems and @ +5psi 100 octane mix and went 12.6 @ 111
no offense but man that's just right about stock numbers. Where are you located / elevation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattds

Part of what matters is if the cars feels fast enough for you. With the jb4 and **/exhaust I'm pretty happy . (for now lol) also the car seems to really float at around 200kph
What do you mean 'floaty' ? Do you have the premium or the sport/red sport? I never had passengers that ever felt how fast the car was going until they looked at the speedometer. Yes, >200kph.

Quote:

Nope. JB4 can only get close to stock smoothness but would never be equal - at least not in its current iteration.
(#1931)
Old

Car: Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:

No per the install guide:
"Note that DWP which is used on Stage1 to adjust throttle sensitivity is not used for this purpose on the JB4 and can be left at 0. The JB4 instead reads gas pedal input and other engine data via CANbus to scale boost as function of how far down you press the gas pedal. "
(#1932)
Old

Default 01-04-2018, 10:13 PM

What do you mean 'floaty' ? Do you have the premium or the sport/red sport? I never had passengers that ever felt how fast the car was going until they looked at the speedometer. Yes, >200kph.

I have the red sport... granted i'm not lowered yet and (don't laugh lol) that floatyness is what i feel when doing logging runs on snow tires (on dry road of course). still the steering seem very light...even in sport+...
(#1933)
Old

Car: Q50
Default 01-04-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
This is the Visconti Tuning response:

"I agree, a poorly designed wastegate absolutely would cause boost creep. Exhaust restriction is what's going to prevent or help prevent boost creep, a simple google search will show you this from multiple sources. When you take a car with a large motor, small turbo, poorly designed wastegate and add a free flowing exhaust you make the perfect conditions for it."
That is correct. Reducing backpressure by installing a free flowing exhaust may overwhelm the stock wastegate's ability to control boost. I remember back in the day when modifying turbo DSMs we were running into this issue and remedied it by porting the housing and installing a larger flapper or removing the stock wastegate flapper and running a tubular O2 housing with an external wastegate. If there's enough material on our turbos, a port job may help.
(#1934)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50
Default 01-05-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I have the red sport... granted i'm not lowered yet and (don't laugh lol) that floatyness is what i feel when doing logging runs on snow tires (on dry road of course). still the steering seem very light...even in sport+...
My car is just the same as yours bud, stock height and no plans on lowering it. The stock height of RWD barely clears the ramp on my driveway.

I take it you have AWD which has a higher stance than RWD. I think pairing that with snow tires explains why you feel a little 'floaty' on high speed.
(#1935)
Old

Default 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekpogi
My car is just the same as yours bud, stock height and no plans on lowering it. The stock height of RWD barely clears the ramp on my driveway.

I take it you have AWD which has a higher stance than RWD. I think pairing that with snow tires explains why you feel a little 'floaty' on high speed.
Yeah the awd is i think 1" higher? on my last car (lexus GS) it was 1.5"..that thing looked lifted.

I realize it probably is the tires and the very cold temps...right now i can spin all 4 tires for bit (enough to get lateral movement lol) I wonder if that's what GT-R drivers feel like lol.
(#1936)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Luxe AWD
Default 01-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekpogi

I have a 2018 AWD Luxe 3.0 and this steering, even in Sport mode ( I only have 1 sport mode) , lacks the tightness of my 2015 Q40 AWD.

I don’t like the steering at all. It’s like driving an old Toyota steering.
That’s the only thing I don’t like about this car. No precision when you attack the corner hard. Granted It’s not a sports trim. Oh well, I saved a lot of weight overall If I compare a sport awd vs luxe awd.

Regarding the JB4,
Does anyone have any datalog on their RS (stock) with JB4 on +3?
And also RS with JB4 on Map 0 (stock boost)

I would like to compare how the boost build up at a specific RPM band vs my
Luxe/sports trim on Map 2 (+5 psi) = 14-14.5 PSI total comparable to stock RS

Then RS on +3 map on JB4 = total 17-17.5 total PSI compare
to myl luxe/sport map 7 (+7psi) = total 16-17.5 psi.

Just a favor .
Please email your log to awgd8@yahoo.com
Pls note if you have 93 octane or E85 mixture.
Preferably a stock RS hardware. No ******** or aftermarket cbe.
Drop in air filter is fine.

Thanks!
(#1937)
Old

Default 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM

actually, i would be interested in those logs as well. I believe the forum allows us to post logs...so pls post.
(#1938)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Hey guys!

I've been following this thread for a while now and finally decided to join. I just installed the Bluetooth adapter and all I can monitor is the boost. Did I do something wrong? Also I have a log that I can post as soon as I figure out how lol. I have a 16 RS running on 93 with map1
(#1939)
Old

Default 01-05-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMEGA
Hey guys!

I've been following this thread for a while now and finally decided to join. I just installed the Bluetooth adapter and all I can monitor is the boost. Did I do something wrong? Also I have a log that I can post as soon as I figure out how lol. I have a 16 RS running on 93 with map1
When you go to logs —>select map —> open graph —-> click grey icon on top left to open loging display option —-> check mark parameters you want to see. (Max of 12)

Regarding this log, pls email it to me at awgd8@yahoo.com

Thank you very much!

BTW, if you want log interpretation , pls post here for Terry to read or email him
directly.
(#1940)
Old

Default 01-05-2018, 10:46 PM

I'll have to log it again tomorrow. The only thing showing up is boost and ecu psi. That was part of the question I was asking earlier. I'm not sure if the module was installed correctly since those are the only 2 i see on the graph. It's the grey shell one right? I'm not sure if this makes a difference but my wire is blue instead of red like most of the pictures I'm seeing on here.
(#1941)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I'll have to log it again tomorrow. The only thing showing up is boost and ecu psi. That was part of the question I was asking earlier. I'm not sure if the module was installed correctly since those are the only 2 i see on the graph. It's the grey shell one right? I'm not sure if this makes a difference but my wire is blue instead of red like most of the pictures I'm seeing on here.
Do you have a JB4 or JB1?
I also have a blue wire, but I have an extra wire from JB4 box that connects
to the OBD2 connector under the dash (wire runs through via firewall rubber grommet)

I donít think you can datalog these extra parameters on JB1?
Which JB do you have?
(#1942)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Do you have a JB4 or JB1?
I also have a blue wire, but I have an extra wire from JB4 box that connects
to the OBD2 connector under the dash (wire runs through via firewall rubber grommet)

I donít think you can datalog these extra parameters on JB1?
Which JB do you have?
If you have a JB1, you'll only be able to log boost. JB4 allows extended logging using the data from the CANbus.
(#1943)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 09:08 AM

I have the JB4. The wire is already hooked up to the OBDII port.
(#1944)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM

A couple of thoughts on things to try...

open a log file in the JB4 app, touch the icon that looks like a gear in the upper left corner. the next screen that opens is a list of the parameters which can be logged in the left column, the right column is for parameter selection. Chosen parameters are green in the right column (select and deselect by moving the white dot left and right).

Confirm in the app settings (setting gear icon on the bottom of the app) that Engine type = E Series - N54, and Kit Revision = Rev 3.

if you haven't, you could also post a question to the app forum:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742
(#1945)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM

One of my wires were cut. I had to electrical tape it back together. I'll need a new wire lol. I'm going to do a few runs tonight on 93 then do a couple on e30.
(#1946)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
actually, i would be interested in those logs as well. I believe the forum allows us to post logs...so pls post.
You guys are welcome to post and share logs and tuning tips in this thread.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1947)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
One of my wires were cut. I had to electrical tape it back together. I'll need a new wire lol. I'm going to do a few runs tonight on 93 then do a couple on e30.

Please do +3 on 93 octane first

and

E30 mixed 2nd.

Please do it in automatic D (less driver error- smoother graph) with VDC off.

Thanks!

Last edited by Awgd8; 01-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Correction
(#1948)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Please do +3 on 93 octane first

and

E30 mixed 2nd.

Please do it in automatic D (less driver error- smoother graph) with VDC off.

Thanks!
I emailed you my logs. I was in D but I had to down shift since I would start in 3rd. I lost traction on every pull.

Terry could you look at these and give your opinion?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 1st log 2nd gearMap_1.csv (10.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: csv 2nd log 1st gearMap_1.csv (9.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv 3rd log 2nd gearMap_1.csv (8.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: csv 4th log 2nd gearMap_1.csv (11.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: csv 2nd gearMap_2.csv (9.3 KB, 46 views)

2016 Infiniti Q50 RS
JB4 / Sport Muffler
(#1949)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Hi guys,

I remember one time we discussed brand of fuel here.
I know that going to a Top Tier gas station to get your fuel is a great idea.

I was reading this online that pure 93 octane fuel vs 93 octane ethanol mixed w/ 5-9%
ethanol varies by location.

Some member here mentioned that their Q50 performs better with specific brand of fuel.’
Also, I was reading at Shell V-power 93 octane and it says some loacation sells pure 93 and some has ethanol mixed. So I went to my local Shell station and I search around the gas pump if there where info of ethanol mixture and found none. I remember Mobile has signs on their pump that it contains % ethanol mixture.

My understanding is that if you buy your gas from mobile that mixes with 9% ethanol to become 93 Octane,
does this means the base gas octane is probably 87 or 89 ?

Isn’t better if I just buy pure 93 from Shell (no ethanol mix) and mixed it with 30% E85
and gets a better higher Octane rating?

Vs

A (Mobile) 87 Octane with 10% Ethanol mix to become 93 Octane.
and when you add 30 E85 fuel, Is it the same Octane number with the Shell one?
(#1950)
Old

Default 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I emailed you my logs. I was in D but I had to down shift since I would start in 3rd. I lost traction on every pull.

Terry could you look at these and give your opinion?
Thanks a lot!

Your RS peak at 16.9 PSI on some of the log.(FYI, I didn’t count the boost spike just a couple here and there 17.9 psi etc. LOL!) Is this +3 Map right?
Are these logs E30 mixture?

I would like to see a graph version screen shot pls.

Last edited by Awgd8; 01-06-2018 at 03:45 PM..