N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2014 F06 640i
Default 2014 F06 640i - couple of pre JB4 purchase questions - 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM

So, after pretty much reading the entire internet the last few months on various options, I'm being drawn to the Jb4 - and probably a Racechip XLR, either before or after that.

Something that I've seen crop up a lot is how the stock N55 charge ***** seem to fail on both stock and tuned cars - however, on the face of it, this appears to be mainly US cars?

I'm not really interested in the JB4 because I"m planning on building a meth fuelled race car or something, more for the respectable increase in power/torque and the connectivity and safety features, and so I'd only be running it (from what I can tell) on map 1...or possibly map too, seeing as we have 95 and 98+ octane fuel here in the UK

Is the charge pipe change something I need to consider? Obviously there's a plethora of people on here with BM3/MHD flashes, and other tuners remaps - have you guys changed your charge pipe, or do you plan to?

Secondly, I'm a little confused (even moreso now having read this forum!) on the JB4 harness situation.

I did email a fella called Ando at BMS recently (who's been very helpful and responds quickly) asking if the JB4 for the EWG equipped cars were the same, as I'd read about the harness A and B options...

"Hi again Ando

Just one last question, as I'm still a little confused about connector types; as I thought all I needed to make sure was that it was a JB4 for electronic wastegate, 2014 onwards.

Your website says the F series N55 JB4 has a couple of options (ignoring the pneumatic ones!):

1/2/3/4 2014+ Electronic wastegate (JB4_EWG)

and

5/6/X Series Type B 2014+ Electronic Wastegate (JB4_F10_EWG)

Are the 2 units not the same in terms of connectors then?

Thanks

Russell"

and the response was:

"Those are the same, they are just marked differently to reduce confusion for the 5/6/x series guys. "

Yet that seems to contradict things I've read on here - so I'm still none the wiser to be honest.
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Stock chargepipe should be fine, I'd wait until it breaks before worrying about replacing it on the 640i.

You'd want to send in photos of the engine bay/wastegate to identify what specific JB4 tuning product you need.

If all you want is a mild power bump equivalent to RaceChip this is a lot cheaper and easier: https://www.burgertuning.com/product...7f3812f5&_ss=r

The JB4 is another ball game all together.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 08-07-2019, 11:33 PM

Hi Terry

I'm sure you're aware, and probably just misread, but the racechip xlr is a throttle/pedal box, not a performance increasing device. I don't think I've read much good stuff about racechip ecu tuning boxes, and so wasn't considering one at all.

Can the throttle response be adjusted using the jb4, because if it can theres no point in the xlr?

I appreciate the Jb4 is way more capable than what I need it for, but (rightly or wrongly) I'm not overly keen on the idea of a device that, without monitoring any other parameters, just increases boost and leaves the ecu to single handedly deal with the consequences!

Hence I prefer the idea of the Jb4, because it taps into the canbus data was well as the engine sensors, and also defaults to a safe mode of operation if it detects something going a bit curly. The jb4 is also a proven unit, and for many years now has been the piggyback benchmark as far as I'm aware.

I've had remaps done on previous cars, so this will be my first foray into a piggyback unit.

Or are my fears of the JB+ unfounded? The far simpler install does have somewhat an appeal, but that is about the only bit I'm comfortable with, with my current (limited!) knowledge of how such things work.

Last edited by russbmw; 08-08-2019 at 01:03 AM..
(#4)
Old

Default 08-09-2019, 02:39 AM

Anyone have any experience/comments on the JB+? I appreciate Terry is probably a busy chap to be responding to everything on here.

(#5)
Old

Default 08-13-2019, 06:53 AM

no-one?!

(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM

We sell lots of them and with good feedback. It's up to you on how much power you'd like to extract.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 640i
Default 10-15-2019, 10:26 PM

Any update?