N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default RB Turbo High-Flow Oil Drains for all Stock Frame Turbos>>> - 09-10-2015, 05:19 AM

We have been working on these for a long while now but finally got them done. Any remotely knowledgable turbo builder can tell you that turbo drains are important (design, size, flow path, etc), so when we consistently see pictures of kinked up OEM lines being installed on turbos it is time to do something about it. These are the first several sets, but illustrates the product to be.

These will work on ALL stock frame turbos (ie. RB, Pure, VTT, Hexon, OEM, etc). Pricing for the set of drains will be $249. This comes with 4 anodized black adapters (2 upper and 2 lower/o-rings), 2 hoses and heat shielding, and 4 clamps. Everything you need to get rid of the old for optimum turbo draining in the new.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-10-2015 at 08:00 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 09-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Very nice!

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#3)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-10-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect
Very nice!
Thanks sir. Will snap some pics of them installed shortly.

For reference we found this pic of a set of new OEM turbos being installed on someones car recently. On top of improving tremendously upon a design, THIS is precisely what we wish to avoid.

Rob
Attached Images

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#4)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-10-2015, 08:29 AM

We have already had a couple inquiries about the lowers (ie. from ST/other custom setup guys), for both billet machined T6061 anodized lowers (with o-rings) the price is $125 plus shipping.

(#5)
Old

Car: BMW 535xi
Default 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM

I want uppers and lowers.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default +1 - 09-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak
I want these along with the new PVC solution your working on! Package discount?
(#7)
Old

Car: N54
Default 09-10-2015, 02:53 PM

What an awesome invention. They look well crafted.

Certified Australian 335i N54 2009 DCT | JB4 | FBO | E85
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-10-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak
Cool. Follow along with this thread. We have 50 sets under production at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1
I want these along with the new PVC solution your working on! Package discount?
That solution is under development. We likely are not going to want to complicate our lives any further putting project b's, c's, d's, etc on top of project A. Sorry, the time is just not good for it… too much going on as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN54
What an awesome invention. They look well crafted.
Thanks sir. They are extremely well thought out.

(#9)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 09-10-2015, 07:54 PM

Very interesting.
(#10)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Cool. Follow along with this thread. We have 50 sets under production at this time.

That solution is under development. We likely are not going to want to complicate our lives any further putting project b's, c's, d's, etc on top of project A. Sorry, the time is just not good for it… too much going on as is.

Thanks sir. They are extremely well thought out.
Hi Rob

Will there in the kits, that I assume will come to the market soon, be added the silicon hoses as well or will it just be the ends?

Thanks for clarifying
(#11)
Old

Car: RB TURBO 135i
Default 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM

can we get a group buy on these?

UK RB TURBO 135i
Tuned by Wedge Performance ///
(#12)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyb135i
can we get a group buy on these?
Sure.

$199 Group Buy (plus shipping) for entire kit if we can meet 20+ sets.

1) shandyb135i
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)

We are going to be shipping these free for all of our Newly Purchased RB Turbo setups going forward. If any customer of ours has had a NEW purchase of our turbos in the past 3 months we will honor a 50% off MSRP as well. Any other prior discount for our customers this GB is a way to get in for a great price.

As stated there are 50 sets currently being machined. After that, welding, then anodizing, then shipping. Hopefully this all happens in around 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-11-2015 at 11:50 AM..
(#13)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell
Hi Rob

Will there in the kits, that I assume will come to the market soon, be added the silicon hoses as well or will it just be the ends?

Thanks for clarifying
This kit will come with everything regarding stock frame turbo draining. See post #1.

(#14)
Old

Car: E92 N54
Default 09-11-2015, 10:24 AM

What is the benefit here?

JB4 G5 - FBO + Meth - 11.9@119
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz
The benefit is having better turbo oil drains. The OEM lines can and do kink and cause turbo draining problems. This along with the fact that they are not designed well and are undersized to begin with.

Google "Importance of turbo draining" and read away, tons of info out there.

Rob

(#16)
Old

Car: RB TURBO 135i
Default 09-11-2015, 11:21 AM

Im in!

UK RB TURBO 135i
Tuned by Wedge Performance ///
(#17)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Will this assist with our smokey turbos?

fuel injection is cool, but i'd rather be blown!
537.75HP 540.63TQ
(#18)
Old
Legend

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks for working for the people here, Rob .
How long does it take for labour ? Is it need to move ********* while installing ?

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Ps2 turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3

Do more with less !
(#19)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsportzn135i
Will this assist with our smokey turbos?
If the smoking is caused by a poor physical drain, then absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebrailbakan
Thanks for working for the people here, Rob .
How long does it take for labour ? Is it need to move ********* while installing ?
The real intent here is to install these while doing turbo installs. This would mean no additional install time. For someone putting them on after the fact, yes, it would be much more of a task. ********* would need to be removed. The front one is not bad at all, however the rear one would required removing the motor mount. Not a tiny job, probably not something I'd consider unless swapping in new turbos OR if you are certain your returns are degraded/leaking and need to come off anyway.

Rob

(#20)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 09-11-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz
Alex that is a GREAT question. The benefit is more money in RB's pocket, and another excuse for smoking turbos. There are LITERALLY thousands, and thousands of N54's with stock turbos, upgraded turbos, **** our stage 3 kit uses one stock drain. None of them have any problems draining, the stock drains, are NOT poorly designed, and they are NOT undersized.

Instead of just talking about it, lets look at some actual numbers. So the "Stock" drains are right around 12.50-12.60MM ID, which is not small in any way shape or form. We routinely use -8 drains for many turbo application including the front turbo on our stage 3. -8 fittings are only around 8.70mm which is a whopping 40% smaller than the STOCK drain lines. You want to know how many drain problems we have seen with -8 drains on the N54, the answer is none. So lets move on to -10 which is what RB is selling you here. The ID of a -10 fitting is right around 12.72 or .10 -.13mm larger than the stock drains. In case you are not familiar with how small that actually is, see the picture below, it also translates into .0050.

Next up, he is ONLY selling you the drain fittings them selves, which are the same size as the stock drains, he claims the issue is the hose kinking. the factory hose is high quality, high temp rubber, covered with SS braid for flexibility, and longevity without kinking. Many times even when the outside braid looks kinked the rubber hose underneath is not. Just for reference, our shop car front turbo hose looks much more kinked the picture used a "proof" of restrictive drains. Wanna know how many smoking, and draining problems the car has, Again the answer is none.

So to recap, for a measly $200 you get fittings that are .13mm larger than what you are running stock, which do not even address the kinked hose issue claimed. You are basically bolting on $200 fittings that are identical in size to what you have stock. Basically you are being sold snake oil. If oil is backing into your N54 CHRA, you either have a very plugged drain, or there were no thoughts given to internal oil control in the turbocharger to prevent this.

So if anyone is thinking about buying these, just wanted to share a few facts, you are buying an excuse for smoking turbos, that is not the cause for smoking turbos. Do everyone a favor, and just say no to snake oil...

Happy Friday...
Attached Images

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#21)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the tech talk contribution.

Also consider the OEM size is ~12.5mm at the end, at its largest point, but at some of the crimped up areas are as small as 11mm (that is by design and in new condition disregarding any degradation/kinking). However the OUTLET of the stock turbo CHRA is 14.5mm. Our adapters ID are 14.5mm and are a straight shot to the pan with no odd up/down transitions; also a perk for optimum draining. Any and all turbo docs clearly illustrate that the LINE ID should NOT be smaller than the turbo outlet ID, for starters. These were built by in accordance to performance Journal Bearing Draining standards, within the best ability considering the constraints that are given with the N54 setup.

Once again any turbo builder with even a remote amout of tech knowledge will tell you that on a JOURNAL BEARING turbo (which is not a Stage 3 Ball Bearing turbo) draining is imperative as JB flows a LOT more oil. It is semi-mind boggling that we are comparing the flow of BB and JB turbos here. "Stage 3" nomenclature means nothing about flow… the type of turbo bearing style however means a LOT more.

We would rather improve on designs and believe in sharing in the advancement. The great part about it all is that if you feel these are "snake oil", great, the option is to not to purchase. If you like the advancement, then cool they are now for the first time ever being produced as an option available to all.

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-11-2015 at 12:18 PM..
(#22)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 09-11-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Also consider the OEM size is ~12.5mm at the end, at its largest point, but at some of the crimped up areas are as small as 11mm
I literally just chuckled out loud. Oh no crimped down to 11MM! Did you miss the part where -8 line is COMMON in just about every turbo application for a drain, with no issues. That's 8.70mm! That's 30% smaller than 11mm. So with a drain 30% smaller than the SMALLEST point on the stock drain works perfectly for every application we have every used it on, but an 11mm drain will not work a TD025, or TD04 CHRA! Dude stop man, just stop. The drains are not an issue on these cars at all, zero, nada, zip, zilch. The are massive drains for such small turbos, if you are overwhelming that drain, you have another problem that is not the drain. I am just trying to stop people from paying $200 for something that is going to do exactly nothing, it will not fix anything. Now if they are building Single kits, and want to use these are fittings. In that case, thats not a bad idea. Selling these are a "fix" for the stock drains could almost be considered a scam.

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#23)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech
I literally just chuckled out loud. Oh no crimped down to 11MM! Did you miss the part where -8 line is COMMON in just about every turbo application for a drain, with no issues. That's 8.70mm! That's 30% smaller than 11mm. So with a drain 30% smaller than the SMALLEST point on the stock drain works perfectly for every application we have every used it on, but an 11mm drain will not work a TD025, or TD04 CHRA! Dude stop man, just stop. The drains are not an issue on these cars at all, zero, nada, zip, zilch. The are massive drains for such small turbos, if you are overwhelming that drain, you have another problem that is not the drain. I am just trying to stop people from paying $200 for something that is going to do exactly nothing, it will not fix anything. Now if they are building Single kits, and want to use these are fittings. In that case, thats not a bad idea. Selling these are a "fix" for the stock drains could almost be considered a scam.
-8AN recommended on ANY JB Turbo? You really surprise me… nah nah you don't.

Truth is -10AN is the normal lowest recommended drain for Journal Bearing, preferred generally -12AN.

The moral of the story there is nothing wrong EVER with a bigger/better drain, Period. But don't take my word for it… maybe take MHI's (see attached). Maybe take Garrets (follow link).
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...il_water_lines

Or take the cameraman drama barbie toni's. Setting stages all day everyday...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MHI_Oil_Specs.pdf (79.1 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-11-2015 at 01:02 PM..
(#24)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Coupe
Default 09-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech
This is coming from a turbo builder who has no problems...except a blown motor, 3 (or is it 4) sets of blown turbos in the last week? You must never have any oil leaks with your turbos? Oh wait, what about this a few weeks a go?

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-Oil-Leak-Help

Hopefully he qualified for the free upgrade?

Last edited by Whosdady; 09-11-2015 at 06:28 PM..
(#25)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-11-2015, 04:20 PM

It is just sad we produce a new innovation which is obviously an improvement, offer it to the consumer (this is optional) for respective competitive turbo setup AND as a free add-on to all current/future RB purchases (yes to rule out the physical OEM drain as ever an issue)… yet it is "snake oil" that of which we are trying to "line our pockets".

Rob