N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: N54 135i
Default 12-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinhobh
Hey,

I have a BMS Meth kit installed on the car, and I believe I am using pin 15 to read the meth flow, can package A be used with jb4 using another pin?

thanks
Unfortunately not. JB4 only has 1 input pin at this time. I've seen the fuel it guys suggest throwing a switch in to flip between them, but I wouldn't.

Last thing you want is to leave the switch in the wrong position, and your car thinks it's getting meth when it's not...

Best bet is bluetooth or one of the LED displays.

2008 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // JB4 G5 Iso in passive mode with custom e30 MHD tune // Bluetooth e85 content analyzer with JB4 integration // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downp|pes // VRSF 7" FMIC // ER charge pipe // Turbosmart BOV // Injen intake // M-Factory SMFW // F10 550i clutch // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless lines // Turner 15mm front spacers
(#52)
Old

Default 12-10-2015, 11:39 AM

Update - all future non-bluetooth models now include an additional lead that will let you add bluetooth in the future!

It's the brown connector:

2008 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // JB4 G5 Iso in passive mode with custom e30 MHD tune // Bluetooth e85 content analyzer with JB4 integration // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downp|pes // VRSF 7" FMIC // ER charge pipe // Turbosmart BOV // Injen intake // M-Factory SMFW // F10 550i clutch // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless lines // Turner 15mm front spacers
(#53)
Old

Car: Bmw N54 335
Default 12-15-2015, 04:57 AM

Sorry for the hijack....but could your bluetooth unit be used in place of the JB4 rev 3 bluetooth version?
(#54)
Old

Default 12-15-2015, 07:26 AM

No - this is for ethanol content only. It will not send data from JB4 to your mobile device.

For bluetooth - I have my own dedicated app it would send data to.

If you have a JB4 connect kit, you can get the basic version (no bluetooth) and it's data would be sent to your phone via the JB4 connect kit instead.

(#55)
Old

Default 12-15-2015, 07:30 AM

New power supplies are in. Always trying to improve things, I thought I'd give these a try.

These guys produce a rock steady 5 volts flat, with no ripple regardless of input voltage. Perfect for a car where the voltage fluctuates depending on RPM, alternator output, etc.

Should provide much more consistency than the USB power supplies of past. These will insert inline between the sensor harness with a provided y-connector, instead of being powered through the USB port (power through the USB port uses the ECA's on board voltage regulator, which sucked some voltage).

Power supply:

Producing 5 volts with a 12.75 volt input:

Producing 5 volts with a 10.75 volt input:

(#56)
Old

Default 12-30-2015, 08:11 AM

First digital display shipping out. Ended up using RJ45 connectors for the connection.

Future ones will have a female connector on the ECA side instead of male (doesn't make a difference, just eliminates the cost of the coupler).

(#57)
Old

Car: 240sx
Default 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM

I just installed my eca I received from str8shot. I ordered the basic eca, harness, and gauge. I mainly wanted this kit for the gauge so I could read my ethanol content quickly without hooking up a laptop. My car is a Nissan, so yes this kit is universal if you are using it for a gauge. And it's a lot cheaper than zeitronix and innovate gauges. My ecu, Adaptronic, can already read ethanol content and display it through my laptop so I was able to use it to compare. I also tested ethanol manually with a graduated cylinder. The current ethanol content in my car is 8%. Both the eca gauge and my ecu read this number. I ran some e85 through it and the results were very close. The e85 tested at around 70% with the manual tester, 73% with my ecu, and 72% with the eca kit. I have actually used some debugging firmware that str8shot sent me and the eca is spot on with my ecu. I think the 1% difference at higher concentrations (which really is insignificant) is due to the gauge not being 100% accurate and there really is nothing you can do about that. That said, with the digital gauge he now offers your readings would be exact every time. The refresh rate on the eca also seemed to be quicker than the rate on my ecu and that is pretty good.

Here is a picture of the analog gauge in my car with the 8% ethanol.

So for the money this can't be beat. Very useful to know what you're getting at the pump if you are just using it for a gauge. My ecu has a boost by ethanol feature where I can go from 20 psi boost when below a certain ethanol percentage and 25 psi when above a certain ethanol percentage. Having a gauge lets me know how much fun I'm about to have.
(#58)
Old

Default 01-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_240
I just installed my eca I received from str8shot. I ordered the basic eca, harness, and gauge. I mainly wanted this kit for the gauge so I could read my ethanol content quickly without hooking up a laptop. My car is a Nissan, so yes this kit is universal if you are using it for a gauge. And it's a lot cheaper than zeitronix and innovate gauges. My ecu, Adaptronic, can already read ethanol content and display it through my laptop so I was able to use it to compare. I also tested ethanol manually with a graduated cylinder. The current ethanol content in my car is 8%. Both the eca gauge and my ecu read this number. I ran some e85 through it and the results were very close. The e85 tested at around 70% with the manual tester, 73% with my ecu, and 72% with the eca kit. I have actually used some debugging firmware that str8shot sent me and the eca is spot on with my ecu. I think the 1% difference at higher concentrations (which really is insignificant) is due to the gauge not being 100% accurate and there really is nothing you can do about that. That said, with the digital gauge he now offers your readings would be exact every time. The refresh rate on the eca also seemed to be quicker than the rate on my ecu and that is pretty good.

So for the money this can't be beat. Very useful to know what you're getting at the pump if you are just using it for a gauge. My ecu has a boost by ethanol feature where I can go from 20 psi boost when below a certain ethanol percentage and 25 psi when above a certain ethanol percentage. Having a gauge lets me know how much fun I'm about to have.
Awesome! I'm glad it's working as expected! Thanks for the feedback!

(#59)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 01-02-2016, 06:37 PM

Got mine but haven't installed it yet. Looks to be a really great kit. Only thing is there are not any instructions. Also how do we get the app and pair the Bluetooth? Thanks
(#60)
Old

Default 01-02-2016, 06:58 PM

The app is on the Google play store. Just search for str8shot eca.

The pairing code is 1234.

I'll put some instructions together one of these days, but it's a pretty straight forward install.

Just post if you have questions and I'll walk you through it.

(#61)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 01-11-2016, 05:10 AM

I purchased your "Package B - Bluetooth enabled ECA" brand new from a member who's decided to part out..

A few questions:
  1. iPhone compatibility? Not there? Plans?
  2. I'd like to purchase your "Add on B - digital LED display add on" with a shipping quote to Sydney
  3. Harness lengths for RHD, are there any issues here? (In particular the gauge harness, as i'd like it located on the RHD drivers side)
  4. You state that you need to "upload a digital gauge specific firmware via USB" - do you provide this and instructions?
  5. The unit is powered by a mini USB cable, where are you tapping the USB power from though? (Instructions would be helpful)

Look forward to hearing back! I've attached a pic of the kit i have.
Attached Images

(#62)
Old

Car: Cobalt SS
Default 01-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Any update on when mine will ship out?
(#63)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 01-14-2016, 12:02 PM

PM sent, looking to order.
(#64)
Old

Default 01-15-2016, 07:19 PM

Is str8shot on leave or something?
(#65)
Old

Default 01-16-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
I purchased your "Package B - Bluetooth enabled ECA" brand new from a member who's decided to part out..

A few questions:
  1. iPhone compatibility? Not there? Plans?
  2. I'd like to purchase your "Add on B - digital LED display add on" with a shipping quote to Sydney
  3. Harness lengths for RHD, are there any issues here? (In particular the gauge harness, as i'd like it located on the RHD drivers side)
  4. You state that you need to "upload a digital gauge specific firmware via USB" - do you provide this and instructions?
  5. The unit is powered by a mini USB cable, where are you tapping the USB power from though? (Instructions would be helpful)

Look forward to hearing back! I've attached a pic of the kit i have.
1 - no iphone compatibility for bluetooth presently, probably not anytime soon, and not possible with the ECA you have (the bluetooth radio isn't compatible with ios)

2 - shipping to Aus is $26.50. Total for the digital add on would be $61.50.

3 - I can make the gauge harness length anything you need. Just let me know how long.

4 - Firmware is updated via USB and a windows firmware program. I have instructions - PM me if needed.

5 - The USB power supply should tap into the DME power and ground, same as JB4.

Let me know if you have any questions on hook up via PM.

(#66)
Old

Default 01-17-2016, 11:44 PM

So I finally got my sensor installed. I used the genuine GM part #3577394 sensor. I used Dorman fuel adapters #800-085 and spliced them into the OEM fuel line.

There is something wrong cause it is not working. My JB4 mobile app shows my E content is 87. Hooked green wire to pin 15. The Str8shot eca beta app, does not work at all. It will not connect and keeps asking if the device is turned on. Never asked me to pair or enter code 1234 like you stated earlier. Is this the right app, cause it only shows there have been 5 downloads? It also does not support landscape mode. It is the only thing that came up in google store search.

The device itself shows a solid green light on one side and a constant blinking red light on the other side.

Right now I should have around E30 in my tank. There is no way I have E87.

I must have a bad Analyzer? Wiring is pretty simple, I double checked everything. Power supply: Red positive to same place as JB4 , Black I crimped a ring and ran to ground bolt: then used y-cables off power supply (red and black) one side to the GM sensor, other side to analyzer: blue wire from GM sensor hooked to blue wire on Analyzer: green wire from Analyzer was hooked to pin 15 in JB4 harness.
(#67)
Old

Default 01-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot
1 - no iphone compatibility for bluetooth presently, probably not anytime soon, and not possible with the ECA you have (the bluetooth radio isn't compatible with ios)

2 - shipping to Aus is $26.50. Total for the digital add on would be $61.50.

3 - I can make the gauge harness length anything you need. Just let me know how long.

4 - Firmware is updated via USB and a windows firmware program. I have instructions - PM me if needed.

5 - The USB power supply should tap into the DME power and ground, same as JB4.

Let me know if you have any questions on hook up via PM.
PM sent!
(#68)
Old

Default 01-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Hello any help here?
(#69)
Old

Default 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasboy
So I finally got my sensor installed. I used the genuine GM part #3577394 sensor. I used Dorman fuel adapters #800-085 and spliced them into the OEM fuel line.

There is something wrong cause it is not working. My JB4 mobile app shows my E content is 87. Hooked green wire to pin 15. The Str8shot eca beta app, does not work at all. It will not connect and keeps asking if the device is turned on. Never asked me to pair or enter code 1234 like you stated earlier. Is this the right app, cause it only shows there have been 5 downloads? It also does not support landscape mode. It is the only thing that came up in google store search.

The device itself shows a solid green light on one side and a constant blinking red light on the other side.

Right now I should have around E30 in my tank. There is no way I have E87.

I must have a bad Analyzer? Wiring is pretty simple, I double checked everything. Power supply: Red positive to same place as JB4 , Black I crimped a ring and ran to ground bolt: then used y-cables off power supply (red and black) one side to the GM sensor, other side to analyzer: blue wire from GM sensor hooked to blue wire on Analyzer: green wire from Analyzer was hooked to pin 15 in JB4 harness.
You have to pair the Bluetooth module first. Go into your phone, Bluetooth settings, select the new device, and pair it. The code is 1234 (or 0000, I don't recall and have one handy at the moment).

Then select the module from the ECA app.

(#70)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 01-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Ready to place an order for the bluetooth kit asap!
(#71)
Old

Default 01-20-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
PM sent!
Still no reply??
(#72)
Old

Default 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM

Sorry, absolutely slammed with my day job and two orders that are way way overdue. I'll reply to all shortly.

(#73)
Old

Default 01-20-2016, 06:03 PM

I will try to pair tonight again tonight with the str8shot app when I get home from work. Why is my ethanol content not reading correctly in the JB4 mobile app then? I have the ethanol input selected and it's showing E on the gauge. Green wire input is on pin #15. If I uncheck the box the gauge show methanol. I filled up yesterday with what I would think is around E50 and now the gauge reads E100.
(#74)
Old

Default 01-20-2016, 10:30 PM

Okay I was able to get the str8shot app to pair and connect over Bluetooth, I'm now showing E46. I did notice you have to select the Bluetooth module each time you start the app, is there any way to get it to automatically connect to the module when you launch it? Also instead of being able to see everything on one screen you have to scroll down to see temp, and scroll down again to be able to select the Bluetooth module. Landscape mode would also be nice.

Now how do I get the JB4 mobile to show the correct content?
(#75)
Old

Car: Cobalt SS
Default 01-22-2016, 07:28 AM

Can you please respond to my emails? I understand your busy but I've been waiting for 7 weeks now.