N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1276)
Old
SYTFU Crew

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM

+1 for parallels. Use it on my laptop and work machine.

you'll need the virtual emulator and a full copy of windows (cough cough torrent cough)

(#1277)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton23

I do. I work on PCs all day long, if it wasn't for Microsoft I wouldn't have a job!
That being said, I don't want to come home to work on my own machine!

Love my Mac
We have a few Mac products around (airbook, ipad, etc) but I can't stand using them. Horribly inefficient in terms of my wanting to do something and being able to do it in a quick amount of time..

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1278)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We have a few Mac products around (airbook, ipad, etc) but I can't stand using them. Horribly inefficient in terms of my wanting to do something and being able to do it in a quick amount of time..
Completely agree, the Apple development environment is like running through syrup.

Individual Velvet Blue Manual E90 335i M-Sport.
(#1279)
Old

Default 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I think we need to see a log of you using said Apple products to see if it is a system or user issue... lol

(#1280)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Default 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
If you have a loss of traction in 1st gear and prefer to have the tune limit boost for you then it's a good adjustment to use. But totally optional. In my step I leave 1st gear @ 12psi and 2nd gear @ 15psi. Then run progressive meth @ 17psi.
but ... how you do that configuration?

Parameters that have to play? using Map 3

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#1281)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM

You enter 10.0 in to "max boost 1st" in the interface and press save?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1282)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Default 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You enter 10.0 in to "max boost 1st" in the interface and press save?
Ok. Perfect
Thanks terry

Time is the best teacher

(#1283)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcars 335i
ceporro que eres mas duro que el alcollano,ya te contare yaaa
Eso si que esta comico.....lol

"That is funny"

Terry, as soon as the humid damp crappy weather lets up I will try to do a couple of pulls and get your advice.

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!
(#1284)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Default 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsabor67
Eso si que esta comico.....lol

"That is funny"

Terry, as soon as the humid damp crappy weather lets up I will try to do a couple of pulls and get your advice.
Lo gracioso es que el ceporro lo es el
Salu2

Time is the best teacher

(#1285)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Playing around with the 1st and 2nd gear boost limit with latest software.
I inputted 10psi for the boost limit in first gear.

Few questions i have is:
If i press the volume up or down, or the talk button, this will disable the boost limit?
Will boost limit be desabled until restarting the car? Or how does this work.
If i first start the car and press the volume button up or down does this mean it is disabled?

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#1286)
Old
SYTFU Crew

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
If any of you "lonely hearts" have time tonight/tomorrow morning and want to help the cause I have some new firmware that needs logging. While I'm out with the wife pretending I'm not thinking of work...

Just email me.
Ooo what's coming in this release?! :D Can't wait

(#1287)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Posted the 2/1 firmware. This is the same file I had emailed out to many of you yesterday. Summary of changes:

1) Set adaptive PID to default on. If for any reason you ever want to disable it you can do so by setting FutureUseD = 99.
2) Manual transmission only: Removed the old JB3 bogfix code and replaced it with a preliminary CAN based bogfix. Most manual users have reported no bog with bogfix off all together but set bogfix to 100 to enable and test the new CAN bogfix algorithm. Further refinements are coming soon.
3) Enabled map 5 with a basic adaptive/autolearning algorithm. Peak boost ranges between 12psi and 16psi based on historic knock sensor activity. Learning is enabled from 4700-6800rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. The algorithm is currently overly conservative and just implemented for data collection purposes. So don't get too excited. Yet.
4) Found and corrected a bug in the JB4 crystal oscillator failover system that could prevent the motor from running normally in the event of a crystal oscillator failure. This type of hardware failure is rare but it is important the code work properly if such a hardware failure ever does occur. From the users perspective the car would be stuck in map 0 with steering wheel controls inactive but otherwise running normally.

Burger Motorsports

(#1288)
Old

Default 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Lol

Like busses, I just uploaded the last!

Individual Velvet Blue Manual E90 335i M-Sport.
(#1289)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 02-15-2011, 04:05 PM

sweet! Just as I was getting bored.
Thanks Terry
(#1290)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM

So with the latest firmware release, Map 5 is safe to run on an otherwise stock car? Or should I continue to stick with Map 1. I like the idea of the adaptive/autolearning, but am definitely still ignorant to this tuning stuff. I'm learning

Quote:
Posted the 2/1 firmware. This is the same file I had emailed out to many of you yesterday. Summary of changes:

1) Set adaptive PID to default on. If for any reason you ever want to disable it you can do so by setting FutureUseD = 99.
2) Manual transmission only: Removed the old JB3 bogfix code and replaced it with a preliminary CAN based bogfix. Most manual users have reported no bog with bogfix off all together but set bogfix to 100 to enable and test the new CAN bogfix algorithm. Further refinements are coming soon.
3) Enabled map 5 with a basic adaptive/autolearning algorithm. Peak boost ranges between 12psi and 16psi based on historic knock sensor activity. Learning is enabled from 4700-6800rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. The algorithm is currently overly conservative and just implemented for data collection purposes. So don't get too excited. Yet.
4) Found and corrected a bug in the JB4 crystal oscillator failover system that could prevent the motor from running normally in the event of a crystal oscillator failure. This type of hardware failure is rare but it is important the code work properly if such a hardware failure ever does occur. From the users perspective the car would be stuck in map 0 with steering wheel controls inactive but otherwise running normally.
(#1291)
Old

Car: BMW 335
Default 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM

Just wanted to say I love the JB4. I am currently running map 2 without any issues. I have all bolt-ons. What could I adjust to make the boost kick in faster at lower RPM's? I pretty much want to get it like JB3 map 7 with lagfix. I have an AT.
(#1292)
Old

Default 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM

I cant wait to try out map 5!
(#1293)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney
So with the latest firmware release, Map 5 is safe to run on an otherwise stock car? Or should I continue to stick with Map 1. I like the idea of the adaptive/autolearning, but am definitely still ignorant to this tuning stuff. I'm learning
Right now we're looking to collect some data on map 5. So if you have time to log throw it on map 5 and send your CSV file in to me.

Burger Motorsports

(#1294)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Ok, I'll give it a shot.
(#1295)
Old
JB4 FTW!!!

Car: 2010 535i MSport
Default 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodi
I was reading firmware 20/1 updates ,terry mentions on the second point that he changed the boost limit for the first and the second gear ,how would this affect my take off (0-100)? any one tried this?

how about the adaptive PID? is this enabled by default on the new firmware?
Really depends on the traction you are getting. This allows you to limit wheel spin which robs your take off. I jsut started using 10psi for first gear on my otherwise stock 535 and with TC off i get the slightlest bit of spin for a fraction of a second around 4000 rpm just as boost builds. I will play with it a bit but as for now 10 limit in first and none in 2nd is working great on map 1.
(#1296)
Old

Car: E92 335i, E30 327i
Default 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity
Lo gracioso es que el ceporro lo es el
Salu2
Que es ceporro? En Puerto Rico no usamos esa palabra!

Mk7 Gti Dsg: 298whp
E30 332i: Race Car.
(#1297)
Old

Car: e91 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM

looks like map6 is still my favorite map, never been a fan of autotuning thing coz its always on the conservative side.
(#1298)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM

We have maps to please all needs! After more development we want the autotuning map to be the default. So a user can just install and enjoy. If they happen to have 93 octane then they will get more performance from it. If they happen to have 91 it will safely dial itself back. If they happen to have 93 but it turns out that 93 really performs like 89 the tune will react properly. Etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#1299)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 02-15-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
We have maps to please all needs! After more development we want the autotuning map to be the default. So a user can just install and enjoy. If they happen to have 93 octane then they will get more performance from it. If they happen to have 91 it will safely dial itself back. If they happen to have 93 but it turns out that 93 really performs like 89 the tune will react properly. Etc.
That's good **** right there

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#1300)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 02-16-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
THAT, I like.

Question though. Have you guys done any kind of testing dealing with E10 ethanol gas and the JB4? We are starting in Europe to get (Hosed) SuperE10(10%ethanol)/SuperE5(5%) gas in all gas stations here and they are planning to phase out SuperPlus for this garbage. Speaking with people at the dealers they are saying that BMW states all new cars can use the E10 but some do say that performance and mileage will be affected. How can I offset that or make the gas more "modfriendly" since I can't think of another word and would the JB4 compensate based on what it might see from the ECU?

Sorry for the long question.

Nick

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!