N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#801)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92
Default 06-03-2018, 01:01 AM

frankenturbos are out ()_()

honestly thinking of selling my single turbo for a set of frankenturbos once i see more feedback. selling my turbo kit, i should be able to cover every expense from inlets, outlets, ***, turbos, and turbo lines. just waiting on some news and some more dyno charts

E92 On3 6266BB
VRSF 7.5 HD
xHP Stage 3
Wedge tuned on straight E85
(#802)
Old

Car: 11 335i 6MT RWD
Default 06-03-2018, 05:08 AM

Why would you ever do that? I'm genuinely curious.

E90 N55 RWD 6MT MHD Speedtech EFR7670 MFactory LSD
(#803)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 06-03-2018, 07:44 AM

That has to be the dumbest post I've ever seen.
(#804)
Old

Default 06-03-2018, 10:51 AM

I desire the stock like spool, tired of getting cut off by nissan sentras while waiting for the turbo to spool, i want to be able to hook and go and take off like a bat out of hell. not just use my 15" conversion for roll racing. The power ceiling of these turbos is similar to what you should run if you want this engine to last a decent amount of time. Its a no brainer. If going for a set power goal, twins will get you there faster. Divide the lag and double the spool between two turbos

E92 On3 6266BB
VRSF 7.5 HD
xHP Stage 3
(#805)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-03-2018, 01:23 PM

Sounds like you just bought the wrong single turbo...
(#806)
Old

Default 06-03-2018, 01:45 PM

I spool 20 psi at 3600 rpm. Which is average amongst most single kits. If you actually owned one instead of arm chair thugging youd know that you arent beating the laws of physics with any single kit

E92 On3 6266BB
VRSF 7.5 HD
xHP Stage 3
(#807)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 06-03-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackcoupe
tired of getting cut off by nissan sentras while waiting for the turbo to spool

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#808)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 06-03-2018, 04:31 PM

So, you're going to tade in the most reliable set up, for literally the most un reliable set up, for better spool?

Why not just go with a smaller single?

2007 335i MT, JB4 G5, Hybrid Pump BEF, DCI, 6" AMS FMIC, d_p's, inlets, Chargepipe with Raceport BOV, Tomioka 16t turbos
(#809)
Old

Default 06-03-2018, 06:56 PM

There are plenty of posts with dyno and logs with a small single running 550whp with stock-like spool. Not trying to bash you, just saying things have come a long way with some of the most recent single options and tuning improvements. 5862BB comes to mind.
(#810)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 06-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I desire the stock like spool, tired of getting cut off by nissan sentras while waiting for the turbo to spool, i want to be able to hook and go and take off like a bat out of hell. not just use my 15" conversion for roll racing. The power ceiling of these turbos is similar to what you should run if you want this engine to last a decent amount of time. Its a no brainer. If going for a set power goal, twins will get you there faster. Divide the lag and double the spool between two turbos
Swap your turbo to something that spools quicker, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase
So, you're going to tade in the most reliable set up, for literally the most un reliable set up, for better spool?

Why not just go with a smaller single?
You barely even hear anything about these since they are still beta. So where are you getting this info on them being so unreliable, or are you just assuming?

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#811)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 06-04-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I spool 20 psi at 3600 rpm. Which is average amongst most single kits. If you actually owned one instead of arm chair thugging youd know that you arent beating the laws of physics with any single kit
Coming from a guy who apparently doesn't understand physics. I'm not saying you should go twin or single or FrankenTurbo or not but felt I should try to clear up some of your confusion on the subject.

Your current engine setup is going to output a certain amount of exhaust gas energy. This energy is what's used to power the turbine and spin the compressor wheel. (Made up numbers incoming and this is a gross generalization but the theory is there) Say your 6 (4, 8 whatever) cylinders output 100 units of energy at 3000 rpm. If you have a single turbo that has 100 kg/m^2 of inertia and flows 100 lbs/min of air that 100 units of energy will spin the turbo fast enough to move enough air to make 15 lbs of boost pressure at 3000 rpm.

If you have 2 turbos with only 50 kg/m^2 of inertia that flow 50 lbs/min of air they will require half of the energy to operate but can only do half the work. So with 3 cylinders feeding each of them and them getting 50 units of energy each they will flow 50 lbs/min at 3000 rpm which when added together will be the same 100 lbs/min as the single and the car will "feel" exactly the same.

Just because there is two of them doesn't magically make them act or perform any different. If you looked at the compressor maps of the stock turbo's vs whatever single turbo you are running I bet your single turbo flows more air which in turn means it is probably larger/heavier and requires more energy at any given point to spin fast enough to move enough air to create the desired boost pressure you think you are looking for. Airflow is airflow no matter what "boost" you see on a gauge. In the N54 world it's not terrible to talk about boost pressure as a rating because not a lot of these motors are touched internally but the second the engine itself flows more air (cams, porting, manifolds) then the "same" engine can and probably will make more power (I.E have more airflow) and will run less "boost" pressure than a stock motor.

Save yourself the headache and cost and just replace your single with a size or two down and you will be good to go.
(#812)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54QC
Swap your turbo to something that spools quicker, problem solved.

You barely even hear anything about these since they are still beta. So where are you getting this info on them being so unreliable, or are you just assuming?
Facebook betta group. 50% failure rate, it was leaked on another forum.

2007 335i MT, JB4 G5, Hybrid Pump BEF, DCI, 6" AMS FMIC, d_p's, inlets, Chargepipe with Raceport BOV, Tomioka 16t turbos
(#813)
Old

Car: BMW M135I
Default 06-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Facebook betta group. 50% failure rate, it was leaked on another forum.
I'm a part of that FB group and what you are writing is really hard to reply to.
What is a "failiure"? WG ratte=failiure?
Also there seems to be at least 3 or even more revisions of turbos floating around in that group, i have no idea what price the people with the rev 1 and 2 have paid.

Also isnt the whole purpose with a beta group to find, correct and improve the products?
Also Frankenturbo decides to do this in the public.
How many failiures do you think Pure had when they developed their turbo's?

I have nothing to do with Doug or Frankenturbo more than that i have considerd their turbo's and might perhaps buy a pair in the future, if i decided to go with the twins.
(#814)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
I'm a part of that FB group and what you are writing is really hard to reply to.
What is a "failiure"? WG ratte=failiure?
Also there seems to be at least 3 or even more revisions of turbos floating around in that group, i have no idea what price the people with the rev 1 and 2 have paid.

Also isnt the whole purpose with a beta group to find, correct and improve the products?
Also Frankenturbo decides to do this in the public.
How many failiures do you think Pure had when they developed their turbo's?

I have nothing to do with Doug or Frankenturbo more than that i have considerd their turbo's and might perhaps buy a pair in the future, if i decided to go with the twins.
50% blew seals immediately.

Not so public when its in a private Facebook group.

Testing beta on other peoples cars? Why? so he doesn't have to install over and over himself?

Greasy af. but hey, stupid people want to do stupid stuff and drink the cool aid. And to what? save $500?

(#815)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
50% blew seals immediately.

Not so public when its in a private Facebook group.

Testing beta on other peoples cars? Why? so he doesn't have to install over and over himself?

Greasy af. but hey, stupid people want to do stupid stuff and drink the cool aid. And to what? save $500?
Public as in apply and you will have permission.
I dont run franken's turbos or have anything to do with them, yet i am in the "closed" group.
What is that if not public?

Also that 50% which rev of turbo was that?
It makes total sense to test them on other cars, unless you run a fleet of 50-100 cars, which i assume not many manufactorers do..

Also last, save 500usd?
Where can you get turbo's that are good for 600-650bhp or more for 2000usd?
If you were comparing to the people who ran the latest rev, i have no idea how little the earlier people ran.
(#816)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Public as in apply and you will have permission.
I dont run franken's turbos or have anything to do with them, yet i am in the "closed" group.
What is that if not public?

Also that 50% which rev of turbo was that?
It makes total sense to test them on other cars, unless you run a fleet of 50-100 cars, which i assume not many manufactorers do..

Also last, save 500usd?
Where can you get turbo's that are good for 600-650bhp or more for 2000usd?
If you were comparing to the people who ran the latest rev, i have no idea how little the earlier people ran.
Enjoy your cheap chinese garbage from a snake oil salesman.

I don't have the time or effort required to argue with retards insisting that frankenturbo makes a quality product or is a good vendor.

(#817)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Enjoy your cheap chinese garbage from a snake oil salesman.

I don't have the time or effort required to argue with retards insisting that frankenturbo makes a quality product or is a good vendor.
Haha, im not even running frankenturbo and i will most likely not buy turbo's from him.

But i guess you've just proven what many people were thinking.
You tried to bash him and when you ran out of facts or actual things to say, you reverted back to personally attacking him/anyone that buys his products.
(#818)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 02:12 PM

For those of you new to this thread, and haven't had time to read the nonsense. Here are some highlights.

Frankenturbo

Was using windshield washer tank for meth injection. Known to cause fires on the n54.

Claimed inlets are usless on stock turbos.

Cranked timing to the moon. Turned off knock detection blaming the stock dmfw for "false" misfires. Blew compression on 2 cylinders, then blamed jb4 for not logging timing.

Busted making fake compressor maps on the audi world.

Posted pictures of cast manifolds with serious casting problems.

Claims his turbos are made in china, then he takes them apart and re balances them, in house,
Then emails leaked from vtt that someone else was doing that for him, then stopped dealing with doug, due to his shady buisness practices.

50% failure rate on first batch of turbos

(#819)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
For those of you new to this thread, and haven't had time to read the nonsense. Here are some highlights.

Frankenturbo

Was using windshield washer tank for meth injection. Known to cause fires on the n54.

Claimed inlets are usless on stock turbos.

Cranked timing to the moon. Turned off knock detection blaming the stock dmfw for "false" misfires. Blew compression on 2 cylinders, then blamed jb4 for not logging timing.

Busted making fake compressor maps on the audi world.

Posted pictures of cast manifolds with serious casting problems.

Claims his turbos are made in china, then he takes them apart and re balances them, in house,
Then emails leaked from vtt that someone else was doing that for him, then stopped dealing with doug, due to his shady buisness practices.

50% failure rate on first batch of turbos
A slight FYI, another engine seems to have resigned in his care
(#820)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
A slight FYI, another engine seems to have resigned in his care
Is that why he is using customers to test his turbos? He blew all his motors up.

Great vendor practices.

(#821)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Is that why he is using customers to test his turbos? He blew all his motors up.

Great vendor practices.
Jeez, you really hate the guy
If you think a faulty turbo would melt pistons, bend rods etc go ahead
(#822)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Blew the first engine before even testing his product if I recall. Also ruined his head at least once, and did the sketchiest port job I've ever seen on it. R&D isn't supposed to cost unnecessary money, especially for a product not pushing the bounds of any limits whatsoever.

Purchasing hardware with extremely tight tolerances from someone who doesn't understand even the most basic fundamentals of tuning isn't exactly what I'd call... smart.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#823)
Old

Default 06-04-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
Coming from a guy who apparently doesn't understand physics. I'm not saying you should go twin or single or FrankenTurbo or not but felt I should try to clear up some of your confusion on the subject.

Your current engine setup is going to output a certain amount of exhaust gas energy. This energy is what's used to power the turbine and spin the compressor wheel. (Made up numbers incoming and this is a gross generalization but the theory is there) Say your 6 (4, 8 whatever) cylinders output 100 units of energy at 3000 rpm. If you have a single turbo that has 100 kg/m^2 of inertia and flows 100 lbs/min of air that 100 units of energy will spin the turbo fast enough to move enough air to make 15 lbs of boost pressure at 3000 rpm.

If you have 2 turbos with only 50 kg/m^2 of inertia that flow 50 lbs/min of air they will require half of the energy to operate but can only do half the work. So with 3 cylinders feeding each of them and them getting 50 units of energy each they will flow 50 lbs/min at 3000 rpm which when added together will be the same 100 lbs/min as the single and the car will "feel" exactly the same.

Just because there is two of them doesn't magically make them act or perform any different. If you looked at the compressor maps of the stock turbo's vs whatever single turbo you are running I bet your single turbo flows more air which in turn means it is probably larger/heavier and requires more energy at any given point to spin fast enough to move enough air to create the desired boost pressure you think you are looking for. Airflow is airflow no matter what "boost" you see on a gauge. In the N54 world it's not terrible to talk about boost pressure as a rating because not a lot of these motors are touched internally but the second the engine itself flows more air (cams, porting, manifolds) then the "same" engine can and probably will make more power (I.E have more airflow) and will run less "boost" pressure than a stock motor.

Save yourself the headache and cost and just replace your single with a size or two down and you will be good to go.
point taken but even 19T type "big" hybrid twins will spool faster than even the 55mm on3 turbo with stock-like hp capabilities.

E92 On3 6266BB
VRSF 7.5 HD
xHP Stage 3
(#824)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 08-28-2018, 10:24 AM

so...what ever happened to franken turbo?

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#825)
Old

Default 08-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
so...what ever happened to franken turbo?
They are selling atm, like 50-60ppl have preordered, paid and some has received them aswell.
There are dyno sheets for 500-620whp for them in their Frankenturbo FB-group.
Loads of info can be found in the fb group, just apply to join it and then you can find it