N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 100% E85 on stock turbos? - 05-15-2018, 01:46 PM

This thought started in Chadillac's build thread, and I finally found time to post it here. I assume this has been discussed before, but not finding a clear concise answer.

Since Throttle body injection turned out to not work as well as hoped (based on not being sold any longer), does it ever make sense to run 100% E85 on stock turbos with PI to supplement the additional fuel needed when going over E50-60? If so, are there any major drawbacks. I see the benefits as, cooler cylinders, more power potential, cleaner intake manifold and easier fueling (no mixing), basically all the same as TBI...

My concern is that since the required fuel is so little over what the HPFP can support, the car would run rough or have trouble when the injectors fire and trims compensate. Would smaller injectors make sense?

Just posting to hear if anyone has attempted this? I plan to go single turbo at some point, so the PI would be required then... if I can run 100% with it on stocks, that would be a win win.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Yes, you can run 100% ethanol as long as you have the fueling to support it.

Back in 2014 my HPFP and LPFP were very strong and I had no issues running full e85 on DI only on stock turbos.

To be honest, you wont gain much by anything after e60 IMHO. If you can do e60 on stock turbos without PI that would be the easiest. If you're already set on going further and know you'll need it just go PI then.

Just released today:

http://burgertuning.com/N54_PORT_INJ..._MANIFOLD.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: E90' 335i
Default 05-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Just released today:

http://burgertuning.com/N54_PORT_INJ..._MANIFOLD.html[/QUOTE]

are there plugs that come with the manifolds if not running injectors?You have picture from underneath side of manifold?

Last edited by Logan; 05-15-2018 at 03:52 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM

hey Payam,
Will there be 6 (1/8') npt bungs for guys running methanol instead of e85?

E90 SEDAN '08
-SiNGLE TURBO AUTO TRANS*FSB G5 ISO*100%METH**FUEL iT!STAGE 2*ALPiNA FLASH-
-NGK PLUGS*BMS OCC*RB VALVE-
-E85 MHD FLASH-
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
This thought started in Chadillac's build thread, and I finally found time to post it here. I assume this has been discussed before, but not finding a clear concise answer.

Since Throttle body injection turned out to not work as well as hoped (based on not being sold any longer), does it ever make sense to run 100% E85 on stock turbos with PI to supplement the additional fuel needed when going over E50-60? If so, are there any major drawbacks. I see the benefits as, cooler cylinders, more power potential, cleaner intake manifold and easier fueling (no mixing), basically all the same as TBI...

My concern is that since the required fuel is so little over what the HPFP can support, the car would run rough or have trouble when the injectors fire and trims compensate. Would smaller injectors make sense?

Just posting to hear if anyone has attempted this? I plan to go single turbo at some point, so the PI would be required then... if I can run 100% with it on stocks, that would be a win win.
We discontinued TBI once we released our DIY port injection kit since it's a similar price point and full PWM control of the injectors is more desirable.

That said, we actually have another option soon to be released that is also PWM controlled. We're just waiting on a few remaining stock items to arrive and we'll do the full release.

These will be able to be run as a standalone or in addition to PI.
Attached Images

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
are there plugs that come with the manifolds if not running injectors?You have picture from underneath side of manifold?[/QUOTE]

This first batch does not, this was mainly to get out for people that needed a cheaper option in a quick manner. We will possibly have that option for the next batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPANKY
hey Payam,
Will there be 6 (1/8') npt bungs for guys running methanol instead of e85?
I believe for the next batch it will have that option for people who do not have access to e85.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: E90 2008 335i
Default 05-16-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
We discontinued TBI once we released our DIY port injection kit since it's a similar price point and full PWM control of the injectors is more desirable.

That said, we actually have another option soon to be released that is also PWM controlled. We're just waiting on a few remaining stock items to arrive and we'll do the full release.

These will be able to be run as a standalone or in addition to PI.
Really looking forward to this. Does it have a new controller to work with the jb4? Any word on what amount of power this will support & estimated pricing? This is only for e85/gas and not methanol correct?

Email - contact@kpdcompany.com
2008 335i Sedan M-Sport - Auto / M3 Body Conversion / JB4 E85 BEF / BMS DCI / BMS OCC / VRSF CP-HKS SSQV / Forge FMIC / KPD Bucketless LPFP / Muffler Delete / Poly Rear Bushings / M3 F&R Arms / StopTech SS Brake Lines
(#8)
Old

Default 05-18-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks all for the responses. I got busy and didn't get back to respond.
That new intake looks great! I might just go that way and start the single turbo plans.
(#9)
Old

Car: BMW M135I
Default 05-19-2018, 01:07 AM

Im also considering running 100% E85 due to fuel prices and also the power advantage
I'm currently on stock turbos but will most likely go single turbo or upgraded twins during the winter.

Would i need to make any additional changes to the car except PI, lpfp upgrade and a controller för the PI?
(#10)
Old

Car: 2010 E92 335
Default 05-20-2018, 05:11 PM

Can I use these new standalone injectors in addition to my tbi to help with distribution?
(#11)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 05-23-2018, 06:40 PM

I got tired of mixing e85/gas so went to straight e85 about September of last year . I'm running stock turbos with dual walbro 450 one is activated via Hobbs switch at 12psi stage 3 I think? and meth. I did notice that the car pulled harder so torque definitely went up. About two months ago I upgraded inlets to relocated ones and it's a whole nother animal. So I say yes to 💯 E85. I get about 250 miles out of the tank and $2.09 a gallon can't be beat.

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#12)
Old

Car: BMW M135I
Default 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrzeChuj
I got tired of mixing e85/gas so went to straight e85 about September of last year . I'm running stock turbos with dual walbro 450 one is activated via Hobbs switch at 12psi stage 3 I think? and meth. I did notice that the car pulled harder so torque definitely went up. About two months ago I upgraded inlets to relocated ones and it's a whole nother animal. So I say yes to 💯 E85. I get about 250 miles out of the tank and $2.09 a gallon can't be beat.
I assume you are running PI then?
What brand/which?
(#13)
Old

Default 05-24-2018, 12:32 AM

No sir NO PI at this time. I'm the future yes but at the time being just running 💯 E85 through injectors and two DO5 nozzles for the meth

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-24-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
I assume you are running PI then?
What brand/which?
He is getting fuel aid from the methanol he is spraying as well. Would be interesting to see his logs with and without meth!

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 05-24-2018, 10:14 AM

I see about getting some logs for you guys highway patrol been active past few, but I will try to sneak some in over the causeway in the morning

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#16)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Got a slight delay on logs. Got out of work and car had no power like battery was dead. Found online the B+ recall so I jiggled fuse box wires and got power restored. Went to stealership about the recall and my fuse box and cable are fried so it's all getting replaced under the recall , plus two additional recalls. won't have it back till wenday at the earliest.

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrzeChuj
Got a slight delay on logs. Got out of work and car had no power like battery was dead. Found online the B+ recall so I jiggled fuse box wires and got power restored. Went to stealership about the recall and my fuse box and cable are fried so it's all getting replaced under the recall , plus two additional recalls. won't have it back till wenday at the earliest.
Woah, never heard of these recalls.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Neither have I, but my clock in car kept being rest to 00:00 every other day and I was trying to figure out why , so if u clock is resetting it self u know u have a B+ problem.
I was at work and luckly had tools but nopower what so ever couldn't open doors, rool down windows nothing worked but I had a good battery and batt voltage under the hood at B+ post.
Moving wiring for fuse box got me up and running so I didn't have to get towed but the back of the fuse box was melted so they will replace the fuse box and complete B+ cable.
If u get it done before damage like mine the only replace a 3ft section of B+ to fuse box.

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#19)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 11:10 AM

SI B61 08 11
All E9X are affected
Attached Images

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#20)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM

Hope this helps someone out here because if u don't have a torx in ur car to remove panel under glove box and move he wires around , you will be calling a tow truck

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#21)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Thank you for that bulletin and the informative post!

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 11:20 AM

We are here to help each other out after all. First sign of trouble for me was the clock resetting so look out for that and u know to get it fixed soon . It's free after all!!!! And u get a Charger courtesy car ��

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#23)
Old

Car: E90 2008 335i
Default 05-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Woah, never heard of these recalls.

Me either, Maybe voltage is causing my misfire?

Email - contact@kpdcompany.com
2008 335i Sedan M-Sport - Auto / M3 Body Conversion / JB4 E85 BEF / BMS DCI / BMS OCC / VRSF CP-HKS SSQV / Forge FMIC / KPD Bucketless LPFP / Muffler Delete / Poly Rear Bushings / M3 F&R Arms / StopTech SS Brake Lines
(#24)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 11:23 AM

Possible I would get a random misfire just cruising on the highway went, considering I got brand new coils and plugs replaced every 20k

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤
(#25)
Old

Default 05-30-2018, 12:46 PM

log as requested. 100% E85 dual walboro 450 and meth
Attached Files
File Type: csv 5 30 18.csv (12.9 KB, 87 views)

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100°/¤