N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default $6k to spend on my stock n54 - 04-28-2018, 04:00 PM

Hi all!

Bought this '08 335i a few months ago and want to upgrade in the most efficient way possible. I've got $6k to throw at it (although if I can spend less, awesome). I've done a ton of research, but am new to the platform, so I would really appreciate input from all the knowledgeable and experienced posters here on this forum

Background: It's got 108k miles on it. All scheduled maintenance done by BMW since day 1. I've already put a JB4 and DCI in, and replaced almost all the vacuum lines.

Goals: The car is my DD, so besides track/log days, I'd like to be able to safely run it on 93. Shooting for 450-500 at flywheel if that's possible without meth/eth, you tell me.

Stipulations: Most things will need to be done by a shop, so labor has to be considered (local speed shop quoted me 14-1500 for a turbo swap). Original turbos have to be replaced. They're losing pressure (30FF) and rattle like mad. The oil pan gasket also needs replaced (can be done along with turbos since subframe will already be dropped).

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks a ton in advance
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 04-28-2018, 08:00 PM

Welcome to the platform. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine since 2012. Since your turbos rattle I would do Pure stage 1s since you have to replace turbos anyways. I also run c4tl3ss d0wnp1pes, wagner intercooler, both of which i highly recommend. I love running meth, maybe not the best for track days(autocross etc), but I love it for daily driving. I also recommend a suspension overhaul, M3 bushings, full coilovers, basically what I am running in my signature. My best advice for you is that you shouldnt throw every cent you have at the car, always have a car emergency fund for obvious reasons. I like my car to run tip top shape, so I have recently done the following, valve cover gasket, oil housing gasket, low pressure fuel sensor, stage 2 fuel it, new waterpump even though it wasnt broken but it is notorious for failing. I might be forgetting some other stuff, but I want to make sure that you understand you need be very proactive about oil leaks, especially oil housing and the valve cover as both can wreak havoc on the aux belt. Have fun!

M3 F80 2017 Competition & Carbon Brakes
JB4 ||| H&R Sport Springs

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 04-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Get your maintenance done first if you have done that yet. Fix any leaks replace sparkplugs, ignition coils, and engine oil/filter. If your transmission isnt shifting good replace the transmission fluid,filter,gasket, and mechatronic sleeve.

Now for your mods you could go Pure Stage 1s for your turbos since they are
rattling. For the engine tune there is either MHD or a JB4 and MHD backend flash. Other mods needed are d o w n p i p e s, FMIC, chargepipe, and intake. That should put you a 400whp give or take 20-30 whp. Finally if you want more power then you need to run E85. An upgraded LPFP is recommended for running more than 30% e85.
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 04-28-2018, 11:08 PM

Ironic choice of car/username

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#5)
Old

Default 04-29-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
Welcome to the platform. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine since 2012. Since your turbos rattle I would do Pure stage 1s since you have to replace turbos anyways. I also run c4tl3ss d0wnp1pes, wagner intercooler, both of which i highly recommend. I love running meth, maybe not the best for track days(autocross etc), but I love it for daily driving. I also recommend a suspension overhaul, M3 bushings, full coilovers, basically what I am running in my signature. My best advice for you is that you shouldnt throw every cent you have at the car, always have a car emergency fund for obvious reasons. I like my car to run tip top shape, so I have recently done the following, valve cover gasket, oil housing gasket, low pressure fuel sensor, stage 2 fuel it, new waterpump even though it wasnt broken but it is notorious for failing. I might be forgetting some other stuff, but I want to make sure that you understand you need be very proactive about oil leaks, especially oil housing and the valve cover as both can wreak havoc on the aux belt. Have fun!
Thank for the info man. As for suspension overhaul, what's your take on this ECS package?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...1102283576ukt/

Good look on the preventative maintenance. I got the oil housing gasket replaced with my first oil change and also put new plugs in. Pan gasket will get done along wit the turbo job. I'll have my shop check the valve cover while he's in there. Do the fuel sensors tend to go on these cars? Stage 2 fuel pump will soon follow this round of upgrades.

I may be new to the N54, but I'm certainly not new to 100k mile cars. $6k is my budget for immediate maintenance/upgrades, aside from the ever-so-important emergency fund

Cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned
Get your maintenance done first if you have done that yet. Fix any leaks replace sparkplugs, ignition coils, and engine oil/filter. If your transmission isnt shifting good replace the transmission fluid,filter,gasket, and mechatronic sleeve.

Now for your mods you could go Pure Stage 1s for your turbos since they are
rattling. For the engine tune there is either MHD or a JB4 and MHD backend flash. Other mods needed are d o w n p i p e s, FMIC, chargepipe, and intake. That should put you a 400whp give or take 20-30 whp. Finally if you want more power then you need to run E85. An upgraded LPFP is recommended for running more than 30% e85.
Thanks for the reply and info

Spark plugs, oil and filer, vacuum lines, brake fluid flush/fill, coolant flush fill, rear rotors, rear calipers, brake pads all around, and oil housing gasket were all done with my first servicing after I bought it. I'm going to pick up the BimmerLife "smart" coil kit. My trans shifts well enough, but kind of chugs into each shifter position and I've got to be super precise with the clutch/RPM matching for smooth shifts. Is the clutch on these cars usually that unforgiving? Or does that sound like it's in need of service?

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

JB4/BEF, DCI, MMP 1k turbos, MMP Inlets/Outlets, MMP D P, MMP CP, Tial BoV, VRSF 7" FMIC, Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP, Port Injection, Spec 3+ and smfw
(#6)
Old

Default 04-29-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Ironic choice of car/username
I struggle every day with the dichotomy of fully understanding the value of a dollar while also enjoying expensive hobbies

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

JB4/BEF, DCI, MMP 1k turbos, MMP Inlets/Outlets, MMP D P, MMP CP, Tial BoV, VRSF 7" FMIC, Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP, Port Injection, Spec 3+ and smfw

Last edited by EconIsLyfe; 04-30-2018 at 08:04 PM..
(#7)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 04-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
valve cover gasket, oil housing gasket, low pressure fuel sensor, stage 2 fuel it, new waterpump even though it wasnt broken but it is notorious for failing. I might be forgetting some other stuff, but I want to make sure that you understand you need be very proactive about oil leaks,
This is good list for maintenance.
Would also add in no particular order:

intake valve walnut blasting
oil filter housing gasket (OFHG)
check injectors, if < index 10, replace them with index 12's.
oil pan gasket
replace valve cover gasket itself, at same time as gasket
replace PCV with RB PCV or BMS PCV
EKP module (fuel pump module) - common to go out, leave you stranded
motor mounts

Mods (cost with install of mod by itself):

dow n pi pes = $1000+
stage 2+ twin turbos (not single) = $4500+
Stage 2 LPFP = $1000+
JB4 = $600+
MHD = $75
BMS DCI = $100
Intercooler = $1100+
inlets = $600+

Best idea is to have some of the maintenance and mods performed at same time to save install money - i.e. do oil pan gasket, water pump, turbos, dow n p ipes and inlets at same time.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#8)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Yes, I recommend the kit, but I don't recommend it unless you are doing a coil over and sway bar install. The thing is that you have to drop the rear subframe in order to do the sway bar, and if you ever want an LSD, that is the time to do it. So yea, I do think the kit is good, but you should weigh your preferences. Do you want to focus on power and engine health first, or do you want to do a suspension overhaul. You could do a turbo upgrade as mentioned and then do supporting mods to complement the new turbo, definitely the cheaper route. Or the suspension overhaul where you include the link you showed above, coilovers, sway bars, maybe LSD, which would probably run 6k installed, it does add up. I like to do things in stages, if you choose suspension, do it all at once and get it dialed in, assuming you love the car already, would hate for you to do all those mods and to find you need a new engine and tranny for wahtever reason.. hah! Also keep in mind that if you change a lot of things at once that you could have unexpected downtime. My 3 series is always down it seems, but I have meticulous maintenance which i often tackle myself which takes me weeks longer than a shop would do the work, the X5 is for those down times...

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#9)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 05-01-2018, 06:32 AM

LSD
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 05-01-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconIsLyfe
I struggle every day with the dichotomy of fully understanding the value of a dollar while also enjoying expensive hobbies
A dollar has no actual value. It's all percieved but as me to give you mine and I'll say no way. The fiat lie continues for as long as we are all stupid enough to play the game.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#11)
Old

Default 05-01-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
A dollar has no actual value. It's all percieved but as me to give you mine and I'll say no way. The fiat lie continues for as long as we are all stupid enough to play the game.
You're singing to the choir man, my degree is in economics with a focus on monetary policy and I've been studying the subject for over a decade. I've also been railing against the Fed and centralized banking in general for just as long. I know all too well the nefarious background and workings of the not-so-federal reserve

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

(#12)
Old

Default 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I like to do things in stages,
That's definitely the plan, to do everything in stages. Will look something like this..

Pre-stage (already complete):

Mods:

DCI
JB4

Maintenance:
Rotors, calipers and brakes pads all around, fluid bled and refilled
Oil filter housing gasket
Coolant flush and fill
Sparkplugs
Oil/filter change

Stage 1:

Mods:
Turbos (MMP 1k w/ manifolds)
Dwn Pi pes (MMP)
Inlets/outlets (VRSF)
Charge Pipe (MMP, w/Tial BoV)
Intercooler (VRSF 7")
MHD flash tune

Maintenance:
Oil pan gasket
Upgraded PCV valve
Water pump and thermostat (ECS kit)

Stage 2:

Mods:
Ignition (BimmerLife smart coil system)
LPFP (Fuel-It! stage 2)
EKP module (EKPM3)
Valve Cover and gasket
Fuel Injectors (index 12s)

Maintenance:

Walnut blasting

Stage 3:

Clutch (335is)
Flywheel (MFactory SMFW)

Stage 4:

Suspension overhaul (ECS stage 3 kit)
Coilovers (Bilstein pss9)
Swaybars
LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Best idea is to have some of the maintenance and mods performed at same time to save install money - i.e. do oil pan gasket, water pump, turbos, dow n p ipes and inlets at same time.
Looking at what I'm doing above, do you see any maintenance points I missed, or that you would recommend to do along with each of those stages?

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

Last edited by EconIsLyfe; 05-03-2018 at 07:04 AM..
(#13)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i
Default 05-02-2018, 04:08 PM

I'd definitely stick that walnut blasting in the PRE Stage
(#14)
Old

Default 05-02-2018, 04:26 PM

I like your stages for the most part. I feel like Walnut blasting is a take it or leave it thing if you use methanol. I have used methanol since 40,000 miles. I'm at 110K now and I have not seen any issues, so maybe methanol helps. I did do a walnut blast to troubleshoot what turned out to be a bad injector(s). I do run a lot of methanol typically, about 1 gallon a week.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#15)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i
Default 05-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Yea if youre on meth, totally right.. especially if youre PI its really useless, even meth is (almost)
(#16)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Did you mean $6k per stage of your plan?
(#17)
Old

Default 05-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Did you mean $6k per stage of your plan?
Nah, I'm just doing the first stage right now and planned to spend about $6k on it (looks like it may end up closer to 7 because I'm going with stage 2 turbos instead of 1s)

Stage 2 and 3 mentioned above will be nowhere near 6k, but the suspension phase, I dunno. The overhaul kit is like $1600, coilovers are about a grand, haven't looked into swaybars or LSD yet... and then labor -_-
(#18)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM

I would move walnut blast up to your OFHG maintenance since you will already have the intake manifold off.

And index 12 injectors solved all sorts of problems for me with random misfires when going FBO. Make sure you are prepared to code them. Cables and software ready to go (this was a pain the first time).
(#19)
Old

Default 05-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
I would move walnut blast up to your OFHG maintenance since you will already have the intake manifold off.

And index 12 injectors solved all sorts of problems for me with random misfires when going FBO. Make sure you are prepared to code them. Cables and software ready to go (this was a pain the first time).
The ofhg is already done. All those things listed in that first phase were done right after buying the car. Local BMW shop said it was leaking pretty bad, so I had them do it. Wasn't prepared at the time to do more than what needed to be done.

Good look on the injectors, I'll keep that in mind, thanks

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

(#20)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 05-07-2018, 09:42 AM

6k? Buy a single turbo kit. /thread

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#21)
Old

Default 05-07-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
6k? Buy a single turbo kit. /thread
Thought about it, but $6k would only have gotten me the kit and labor... no new plumbing, no fmic, no D P's, no CP.. just the turbo kit and install. Plus, I like the quicker spool of the smaller turbos (not that TD04/19T is all that tiny) and I'm also not looking to go much further than about 500whp

For about $6.5k I'm getting:

MMP 1k turbos with coated bearings & install kit
MMP exhaust manifolds
MMP 2" OEM location silicone inlets/outlets
MMP D P's
MMP CP
Tial BoV
VRSF 7" FMIC
ECS waterpump & thermostat kit
Oil pan gasket replaced
Labor on all that

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

(#22)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconIsLyfe
Thought about it, but $6k would only have gotten me the kit and labor... no new plumbing, no fmic, no D P's, no CP.. just the turbo kit and install. Plus, I like the quicker spool of the smaller turbos (not that TD04/19T is all that tiny) and I'm also not looking to go much further than about 500whp

For about $6.5k I'm getting:

MMP 1k turbos with coated bearings & install kit
MMP exhaust manifolds
MMP 2" OEM location silicone inlets/outlets
MMP D P's
MMP CP
Tial BoV
VRSF 7" FMIC
ECS waterpump & thermostat kit
Oil pan gasket replaced
Labor on all that
If you weren't going for more than 500whp I'd save 3k and just stick with stock turbos IMHO.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#23)
Old

Default 05-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
If you weren't going for more than 500whp I'd save 3k and just stick with stock turbos IMHO.
Where are you getting genuine BMW OEM turbos for $500? They list for $2100 a piece. http://www.reevesbmwparts.com/2008-3...ts-s/98326.htm

I hear ya though.. with my current goals in mind I was originally going to go with Pure stage 1's. But after inquiring about the MMP stage 3's, Mauricio gave me an offer on his 1k's that I couldn't refuse. Actually spent less on them than I would have on BMW stock snails.

Not to mention, the 1k's won't even be breaking a sweat at 500whp, whereas you're beating pretty heavily on stocks to push that much. Personally, I'd rather parts capable of doing more than what I've got the car tuned for, than pushing my parts balls to the wall to get what I want out of them. Plus, if later on down the line I decide I want more power.. I won't be left with having to pay for the parts and labor (again) on upgrading turbos.

All said and done, the $6500 I'm spending on everything listed above is about $700 less than what a local BMW specialist quoted me on the parts and labor just to replace the stockers with genuine OEM and the oil pan gasket.

2008 335i coupe, 6MT

Last edited by EconIsLyfe; 05-07-2018 at 11:43 AM..
(#24)
Old
Not Banned Yet

Car: 08e93
Default 05-09-2018, 09:36 AM

My $0.02, you're going to be annoyed with 500hp and no LSD. Trying to launch and having one of the rear brakes clamp down is a real drag - but not a drag race drag, just lame. I am also pretty sure it's why my left rear wheel bearing failed. Since I put the LSD in and started running one-push DTC all the time, the rear tire and brakepad wear is much more even and I don't get wheelspin at all. Handles much more predictable in on-throttle turns too.

On the positive side, if your 08 is early enough the Quaife LSD is a drop-in exchange, as opposed to the later welded unit that requires more parts.
(#25)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Get single turbo n54 very good and reliable on it, I wish I went single. 18psi 600whp? or 20 cant remember what I read but tht crazy