N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 328i wagon (335i)
Default Single turbo overboosting, please help!!!! - 01-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Hi all,

I installed the single turbo kit to the n54 engine. 55mm GT30 Dual Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbocharger With 61mm, 11 Blade.

Jb4 to control the boost with the Mac solenoid, 4 bar sensor and the hex for it.

I am
Running map 1 for now, the kit will comes setup to make around 14psi on wastegate pressure but overboost sometime to over 25 psi.

I checked millón times already the conections on wastegate, on Mac solenoid and I can not figure it out where is the problem.

The Mac solenoid where I plugged it, the plugs the have to pins or conector , when I tested them with the meter, the do 12volts on each pin. That should be 1vomts in one of them and 6 volts on the return pin?

What it could be happening?

I attached a picture of the setting and a log only wastage bypassing the Mac solenoid.

Thank you!!!!!!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-01-24 18_07_27.csv (42.9 KB, 175 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-24-2017, 08:39 PM

If it sometimes makes 9psi and sometimes makes over 25psi on map1, then something is psychically wrong. WG binding or a vacuum line loose maybe? Hardlines on the WG?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 01-24-2017, 09:15 PM

Thank you Terri for your promp replay, on map 1 with the Mac solenoid disconnect like the log attached first, then is not make any overboost, as soon as I plug the Mac solenoid and all lines as spouse to, them start the overboost.

Not hard lines on wg, What size line are better for wg and those vacuum connections to solenoid valve?

The log attached is map1 and all lines connected and Mac solenoid connected as well.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-01-22 13_03_23.csv (14.1 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by 328iwagon; 01-24-2017 at 09:30 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-24-2017, 09:57 PM

Does the vaccum line length matter at all?
(#5)
Old

Default 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM

When I said size of the lines, I am meaning the id and od diameter,

I would like to know if the lines have to be as harder possible as well?
(#6)
Old

Default 01-24-2017, 10:31 PM

I'm having. Same issue, dual wg with 15 psi spring and keep getting over 18 psi.
(#7)
Old

Default 01-25-2017, 09:28 AM

This morning I try again just log with everything desconectes .

I just connect the pressure source to the bottom of the wastegate and the log is attached, if someone who know about running can look at it and tell what is on the log, will be great.

I see on the log that is not over boating, now is under target, like not building more than 7 8 psi running the wastegate only.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-01-25 08_26_09.csv (15.6 KB, 157 views)
(#8)
Old

Car: AW 335i
Default 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Make sure your vacuum lines are not reversed on your wastegate causing it to hold shut.

2008 335i stock
(#9)
Old

Default 01-25-2017, 05:52 PM

The vacuums are good, that log is with the wastegate connected to pressure source only bypassing the Mac solenoid that why not building a lot of boost.

I think that the spring that it is in the wastegate is like no more than 6 psi and that's why not building a lot of pressure on the log.

When I got the other wastegate with a 14 psi , the car was overboosting very much, why that can happen?
(#10)
Old

Default 01-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If it sometimes makes 9psi and sometimes makes over 25psi on map1, then something is psychically wrong. WG binding or a vacuum line loose maybe? Hardlines on the WG?
Terri, when you check the voltage on plugs where you connect the Mac solenoid.

What voltage do you have to read there? Should be one pin with 12v and the other one with 6v?

Mine read 12v each pin inside the plug
(#11)
Old

Car: AW 335i
Default 01-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Then it sounds like the MAC solenoid is not doing its job. Check wiring. There are a few diagrams on here.

2008 335i stock
(#12)
Old

Default 01-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo
Then it sounds like the MAC solenoid is not doing its job. Check wiring. There are a few diagrams on here.
The pluming is good con I check that millón times already lol and everything is like is suppose to.

The Mac solenoid as I say before connect to the plug from the car harness, that plug from the car reads 12v on each wire, on you tube it is a video which says that one should be reading 12v to provide the solenoid 12v, the other should be the one returning to the jb4 with the singal and should be reading 6v and it's 13v as well.

That it is what does not make sense to me, also the Mac never clicks like in the video from YouTube. This is the video that I am talking about: https://youtu.be/gzk5USruusY

Last edited by 328iwagon; 01-26-2017 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Bad spelling :)
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Maybe the solenoid is plumbed backwards or faulty. Who knows. With single turbo boost control given all the various kits, manifolds, and wastegate combinations used, you just have to troubleshoot it on site if its not working as it should be. It's not something we can do for you remotely.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#14)
Old

Default 01-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Is any way to connect the solenoid straight to the jb4.

Like getting a 12v alternative source and then tap into a pin in the jb4,

If that is posible, which one will be the pin or cable to tap into the jb4?
(#15)
Old

Default 01-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Google a solenoid testing is really easy. Make sure your vacccum connections aren't pinch or incorrect. Make sure connections to the Mac solenoid are good
(#16)
Old

Default 01-26-2017, 02:27 PM

Fede/e92 thank you very much but my Vacuums are good, it is a lot info about that online, what I need is where to plug the Mac solenoid beside the original plugs of the old solenoid from the car.

I ask many time where to plug the f......... Mac solenoid beside the original plugs on the jb4 harness and ppl from jb4 can f.... make a right answer!!! Just send me an email back with a lince of a theas that has not info about that!! That is related to the jb4 and they suppose to know since they are he kne that make it, right?

I need only the info where to tap the cable that comunícate the solenoid with the jb4, that's all!!!!' I know the other cable is a regular 12v to power source to the solenoid.

If anyone know that please let me know, Thank you everyone for the help!!!
(#17)
Old

Default 01-26-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe the solenoid is plumbed backwards or faulty. Who knows. With single turbo boost control given all the various kits, manifolds, and wastegate combinations used, you just have to troubleshoot it on site if its not working as it should be. It's not something we can do for you remotely.
I did not ask you to fix or repair my car, I am asking you something about the jb4 that I believe you guys are the one built it, right?

The solenoid is good, I bought a second one already just in case and it I does the same thing, in youtube the video that you did or someone else from Bms did, he explains how the Mac solenoid should work, in my case is not clicking and also the plugs for the car were the old solenoids were plugged to, they have 12v on each side which is not what the 1 or 2 video shows as correct.

The only thing I am asking you the wire or pin in the jb4 harness that will communicate the solenoid and the jb4, the 12 volts i got it already.

I don't know how this jb4 is wired up and I don't have the wiring diagram is to find out what cable and pin I need to tap into to make this connection.

If you can provide that will be great since not one in bms can say nothing by email, even less by phone since is not a costumer device phone. Number for this bms company.
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-26-2017, 09:13 PM

Are you over boosting or under boosting? How you diagnose would differ based on what is happening.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 01-27-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Are you over boosting or under boosting? How you diagnose would differ based on what is happening.
The car Is overboosting when is all connected to the Mac solenoid, now the car is not overboosting because I am running just wastegate spring. Not Mac solenoid connected

My Mac solenoid are working good since I test them with a 13 volts source and they open and close fine.

By the way, the connection are right, they ask me that and I check more than a millón times if the pluming connection between the wastegate and solenoid is right, and defenetly is right.

I am having issue with the Mac solenoid communicating withy the jb4 since is. It boost control when I connect all together.
(#20)
Old

Default 01-27-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Terri in the white subconmector the wiring is like his:

Jb4 purple : slut 7 ( boost solenoid 1 white/gray wire
Jb4 green : slut 14 ( boost solenoid 2 white wire

Is that correct? If yes one wire from the solenoid will be tap into slut 7 or slut 14 and the other wire from solenoid to 12v?

Please let me now since the car run like crazy and it is the only car I have to move around.

Thank you
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-27-2017, 05:53 PM

If the solenoid is getting no signal from the JB4 it's the same as the solenoid not being plugged in at all. What happens with the solenoid installed, but unplugged from the harness?

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Default 01-27-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If the solenoid is getting no signal from the JB4 it's the same as the solenoid not being plugged in at all. What happens with the solenoid installed, but unplugged from the harness?
i unpluged to test the plug with the meter, and since they read 12v each side of the plugs i di not want to plug them out and run just wastegate spring until i find other way to connect the mac solenoid to the jb4

is any other way to connect the mac solenoid to the jb4 beside the original plugs form the all original solenoids?
(#23)
Old

Default 01-28-2017, 04:35 PM

Terri I been asking you already like where and hell I can plug the Mac solenoid beside the original plugs and you respond with another question man!! Do you know about the stuff you sell or not?

If you don't know where in hell I can plus the Mac solenoid straight to the jb4 by passing the original plugs, tell me and I try to go With another tunning system and that's it.

Thank you for your help
(#24)
Old

Car: 335i n54
Default 08-17-2017, 07:30 AM

Did u fix it ? Having the same problem
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2017, 07:54 AM

For single turbo setups it's different every time normally. But common mistakes include solenoid backwards, leaking WG lines, caps missing from WG ports, etc.

If you unplug the solenoid electronically that bypasses anything tuning or electric related. Should get WG spring like that if installed properly.

Burger Motorsports