N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default Are there fuses in the trunk? Car won't start HELP! - 01-20-2017, 07:34 PM

Car won't start but does crank. I believe the guy at the auto body shop switched the + and - when he jump started the car (from the rear) and might have blown a fuse. The iDrive navigation does not turn its completely black and the car has no "bmw chimes" or audio. The cluster DOES turn on when I put the key in and the accessory lights do turn on. It DOES crank just no start. I've checked every fuse in the glove box including the 1 fuse located in the ECU box.

My question is are there any secret fuses located ANYWHERE in the rear trunk? A mechanic friend told me there should be some big fuses in the rear trunk located near the battery?

Is there MORE then 1 fuse in the ECU box? I read that some people have a little black box with 5 fuses and some have just a relay. I don't have that box with 5 fuses just a black box relay.
(#2)
Old

Default 01-21-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92life
Car won't start but does crank. I believe the guy at the auto body shop switched the + and - when he jump started the car (from the rear) and might have blown a fuse. The iDrive navigation does not turn its completely black and the car has no "bmw chimes" or audio. The cluster DOES turn on when I put the key in and the accessory lights do turn on. It DOES crank just no start. I've checked every fuse in the glove box including the 1 fuse located in the ECU box.

My question is are there any secret fuses located ANYWHERE in the rear trunk? A mechanic friend told me there should be some big fuses in the rear trunk located near the battery?

Is there MORE then 1 fuse in the ECU box? I read that some people have a little black box with 5 fuses and some have just a relay. I don't have that box with 5 fuses just a black box relay.

1. Yes, there are 3 or so tiny ass fuses in your glove box junction box. They are shaped like a small cross.

2. Did you check voltage on battery

3. Are you sure you have petro
(#3)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 01-21-2017, 06:31 AM

Maybe the bst cable
(#4)
Old

Default 01-22-2017, 04:06 PM

checked the fuses on that distribution box they are all good.

On another note the car/OBD won't communicate with a generic scanner I haven't tried like one of those really good scanners but it won't communicate either with MHD when i try to read codes it says "contacting ECU" but then says it could not communicate and I couldn't communicate using ISTA/D either. checked the interior glove box fuses and they are all good and checked the single fuse in the ECU thats good as well and checked rear trunk fuse and its good. Suggestions?

Recap

Cluster DOES turn on and it DOES crank but no start.

I have CA and the key also does not locksor unlock, I swapped batteries but still nothing

Navigation/radio does NOT turn on

also no "bmw chimes" when opening the door just the accessory lights turning on thats it.
(#5)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 01-22-2017, 05:59 PM

The E92 manual (you can DL it on BMWs site) only talks about 1 fusebox, the one behind the glovebox. The parts manual shows a relay/distribution box under the hood/cowl though that should have fuses in it too. I'd check in there. Most BMWs have a fusebox in the trunk by the battery, but I'm not seeing that anywhere on the E92.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 F150 Lightning
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#6)
Old

Default 01-23-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
The E92 manual (you can DL it on BMWs site) only talks about 1 fusebox, the one behind the glovebox. The parts manual shows a relay/distribution box under the hood/cowl though that should have fuses in it too. I'd check in there. Most BMWs have a fusebox in the trunk by the battery, but I'm not seeing that anywhere on the E92.
You mean inside the ECU box? If so i already checked that and theyre good.
(#7)
Old

Default 01-23-2017, 12:18 AM

On another note the car/OBD won't communicate with a generic scanner I haven't tried like one of those really good scanners but it won't communicate either with MHD when i try to read codes it says "contacting ECU" but then says it could not communicate and I couldn't communicate using ISTA/D either. checked the interior glove box fuses and they are all good and checked the single fuse in the ECU thats good as well and checked rear trunk fuse and its good. Suggestions?

Recap

Cluster DOES turn on and it DOES crank but no start.

I have CA and the key also does not locksor unlock, I swapped batteries but still nothing

Navigation/radio does NOT turn on

also no "bmw chimes" when opening the door just the accessory lights turning on thats it.
(#8)
Old

Default 01-23-2017, 12:20 AM

Arrived at the body shop by transporter (bought at an auction) drove the car into the body shop even though it was idling/misfiring badly.
Drove it into the parking lot and into the shop multiple times so it started just fine before. Autobody guy had it to boost it from the rear on multiple occasions because the battery was starting to die out i guess + cold weather.

Came to pick up car body guy says he can't start it. We tried to boost it but nothing. Said forget we'll figure it out when we bring it home so we got it towed home.
But the thing is I DO have power to the instrument cluster it does turn on the gas shows me its at 3/4ths of a tank and I see the mileage as well as a red car on the lift.

Car had seat/curtain airbag blown we replaced that when we brought it home and sent our SRS module for a reset and re installed it.

If I DO get a new battery how should I go about registering/coding it if I can't even connect to the OBD??

I do have INPA/Ista/D and it does show that on INPA that its connected but i can't communicate with the ECU. When I connect my K+DCAN cable to it I DO SEE it lighting up so it does have power.

Whats the minimum voltage for the battery ?
(#9)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 01-23-2017, 05:51 AM

What I know of the battery weak it won't turn on the car as it has the battery management module,

You need the 95 amps battery

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#10)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Start by getting the proper battery, like this https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-49AGM...ds=car+battery
If the car isn't getting sufficient juice, all the various systems will throw error codes and shut off. Batteries typically last 4.5-5 years. My car is on it's third (build date July 2007, so nearly 10 years old.)
Once you provide proper power you can then isolate any other faults if they persist.
With engine running you should see 14.4V due to the alternator charging. With engine off it's around 12.5V. If it drops into low 11s you probably have a short somewhere that is draining the battery. (Ball park numbers, but you get the drift.)

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#11)
Old

Car: 335xi e92
Default 09-10-2019, 03:59 PM

having a similar issue does anybody know what the final fix on this was?