N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: N54 E89
Default HPFP code & radiator running full speed - 09-19-2019, 08:32 PM

Hey guys, first post here. I have 29F1 code and the radiator fan is running full speed after about 30 seconds starting the engine. Car is a 2011 Z4 E89 with single turbo kit. It's runs ok but won't go above 5k RPM and boost only gets up to about 5 PSI. Replaced the HPFP and the sensor already, the HPFP sensor reading is only at 2 using JB4 and INPA. Unplugged the sensor and the reading bounces around 10-14. Attached is the JB4 log. I was able to control the radiator fan at 5%, 50%, and 100% using INPA. Also was able test the water pump 5%-100% with INPA. Appreciate the input.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-18 19_25_01_Map-1.csv (26.7 KB, 8 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: E89 BMW Z4 35i DCT
Default 09-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Funn I also have a E89 Z4 and I had this exact problem last week!

I got a second hand hpfp to test in my car as I suspected mine to be faulty and once I fitted the second hand pump and started the car my hpfp fuel pressure was on 2 during idle when it should be on 5 and shortly after starting the car the radiator fan went to 100% speed. I took the car for a drive and it was very sluggish. Wouldn't boost properly and didn't try push it cause I could see my HPFP value wouldn't go higher than a value of 3 which I assume is 300psi.

My personal theory on this is that due to the hpfp fuel pressure being so low that would obviously lead to the engine running lean and thus run much higher temps due to increased cylinder temps. So due to this the car goes into a safety mode to protect itself by running the cooling system at 100%

I bought a brand new hpfp and fitted it and the problem went away completely.
(#3)
Old

Car: N54 E89
Default 09-20-2019, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the input. Glad to see your problem going away. That's the next thing I would try too. Long story short, this my second hand hpfp too. Probably gonna take it to a BMW dealer to diagnose and may be get a free hpfp replacement since it's under a TSP extended warranty due to so many hpfp problems with the n54 engine.

Story Telling Time:
Took my Z to an indy shop to have the clutch replaced, he also said I have hpfp problem and wanting $1000 to replace the hpfp. The report he gave me has 29F3 (low press fuel pump), later I found out that I don't have a lpfp sensor, I don't know if the previous owner took it out or what, but I guess this causes the ECU to throw the code. It's constantly reading at 84. Can you guys confirm if you have a lpfp near the input line of the hpfp. So I decide not to spend $1k and drove the car home with no problem. Coincidently, the car went into limp mode 2 day laters, car took long cranks (15-30 seconds) to start, rough idle bouncing 500-1500rpm constantly, would not rev up above 2k, unburned fuel. Bought a 2nd hand hpfp and tackled it myself, still no bueno. Replaced plugs, still no go. Replaced 6 injectors (because of the unburned fuel smell), still no go. I did replace the teflon seal and program in the compensation number on the injectors using INPA. Decided to go deep into troubleshooting, downloaded INPA, bought the JB4 app (didn't know I had JB4 and bluetooth dongle lol) to read the code. These are the codes I got:
2ACB DME digital motor electronics main relay, input signal
2A9E Camshaft sensor inlet, synch
2A9F Camshaft sensor outlet, synch
2CED Throttle valve actuator, remains locked
2D09 Drosselklappe
2DEB Power management, vehicle wiring system control
2B2C
29E2 Fuel injection r
2CEC Throttle valve actuator, short locked
3100 low boost mode engaged
2ABD intake pressure sensor, re-running

Thought to my self, both camshaft sensor can't be failing at the exact same time. Using newTIS.info, it helped me to trace which wire is supposed to have 12V. Measured the 12V line to the camshaft sensor, it was reading 0. Tracing the 12V line to both camshaft sensor is the fuse F37 that is supposed to supply 12V to other sensors that is throwing all the codes. It was the ****ing F37 that's blown that's causing all this codes. Bought $5 fuse pack at walmart that has the 30 amp fuse. Woah lahh! my Z is back to life because of a single ****ING fuse that's causing me all this grief, but on the bright side I learned a lot on my car. Starts right up every time now, no more unburned fuel smell. It's drivable except for 29F1 and fan running at 100%. Looked around and people suggest testing the water pump. Did a burping process (holding down gas pedal 30secs), saw it piss. Later I found that I was able to control the water pump using INPA from 5-100% so I know it's good. I was also able to control the radiator fan from 5-100% using INPA, but as soon as I quit the test mode, fan kicks on 100%. Now that you say replacing hpfp fixes your problem, I'm going to take it to a BMW dealer since it's drivable, might get a free hpfp if their diagnosis is the hpfp. will let you guys know what's the result.

Last edited by nhatnguyen14; 09-20-2019 at 05:59 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 10-01-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhatnguyen14
Hey guys, first post here. I have 29F1 code and the radiator fan is running full speed after about 30 seconds starting the engine. Car is a 2011 Z4 E89 with single turbo kit. It's runs ok but won't go above 5k RPM and boost only gets up to about 5 PSI. Replaced the HPFP and the sensor already, the HPFP sensor reading is only at 2 using JB4 and INPA. Unplugged the sensor and the reading bounces around 10-14. Attached is the JB4 log. I was able to control the radiator fan at 5%, 50%, and 100% using INPA. Also was able test the water pump 5%-100% with INPA. Appreciate the input.
Iíve been experiencing this similar problem the last few months

Basically once or twice a week on cold starts in the morning the car wonít start properly, will sputter, Fan will turn on really loud and will get yellow engine warning. Restarting the car will fix this. Did a log and saw the same thing as you HPFP was not turning on and sitting at 2 = 300 psi

Weird because happens very intermittently on cold starts only

Tried to go out and do some WOT logs and car went lean and into map4 straight away and had cylinder shutdown

Checked the log and my HPFP is crashing big time

Have been getting following codes
29E1 29EO Fuel Mixture
2DED Power Management Standby Current Control
29F2 High Pressure Pump/Open Loop Set to High
2AAE Fuel Pump

Looks like my HPFP is dead?
Attached Files
File Type: csv HPFP Crashing AFRs run Lean Cylinder Shutdown 2.csv (5.1 KB, 8 views)
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-01-2019, 07:38 AM

Wow- yeah HPFP hitting 3s- looks pretty shot

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#6)
Old

Default 10-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Any chance it could be any other gremlin playing up?

Replaced my HPFP about 4yrs ago and only driven 20k miles on it since
Have been using 2/3rds E85 and FBO though
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-01-2019, 08:58 AM

I mean, with these cars I never say never...

But when I see sub 500 PSI on WOT- that usually means the hpfp is tired

Your still under the hpfp warranty- no?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#8)
Old

Default 10-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Australia so we donít get any warranty for our HPFP

Looks like iíll have to get another one