N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 2006 650i, 2014 428i
Default Just installed ewg cable and now throwing ewg code - 06-30-2018, 08:19 AM

2015 435 EWG JB4 Latest Firmwware.

Car throws EWG closed code 123412 (electronic wastegate, stop learning: stop position (wastegate closed), followed by limp mode, 120408 Not Found as image screenshot attached shows. JB4 was working fine (no codes) until installing the harness.

Could one of the connectors be backwards or something? It seemed to only fit one way on the EWG, and the male to female adapter popped right in and seems fully seated.

Hopefully this did not cause damage because there was NO warning about potential backwards connectors etc.

Installed harness to sensor, plugged in both wires into the jb4 as instructed. Purple wire to position 9 and blue wire to position 16 on the DB25 connector.. Seems pretty straightforward.. I don't get it

Please help, need this to work before installing meth kit

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 06-30-2018 at 11:55 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 06-30-2018, 08:47 AM

Do i need to do this stuff manually?

*Special Settings For F Series JB4 EWG v14+

Note these change by firmware version and the list below applies only to EWG v14+ firmware. For those still running PWG integrated bit1 and bit7 are active as described below. For PWG ISO refer to the specific settings in the PWG F ISO thread.

Future Use D:
bit0 - Disable in dash BC button controls
bit1 - Alternative in dash BC F10 compatibility mode
bit2 - Disable oil temp warmup protection -- full boost target even when oil temps < 160F
bit3 - Disable wastegate/FF adaption learning for diagnostic purposes
bit4 - Disable startup gauge sweep
bit5 - Test Duty Bias Learning Algorithm
bit6 - Vehicle is equipped with a back end flash map
bit7 - Slow down CANbus sample rate - required for some vehicles with older software

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 06-30-2018 at 08:53 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default 06-30-2018, 10:05 AM

Just disconnected and reconnected both plugs and made sure they were fully seated and clicked in. There is only one way the connectors can go, so no way they can be flipped or installed backwards.

Re-started car, same codes.. This sucks. When the engine cools again I will return to stock config and hopefully it just goes away..

Defective Harness? Ideas? What would have been a 15-minute job now has burned my entire morning into the afternoon. =[
Attached Images

(#4)
Old

Default 06-30-2018, 11:31 AM

Removed EWG harness, stock connect back in, all is normal again... That eliminates anything being screwed up on the EWG connector or elsewhere (phew)

Im just glad i did not install the EWG harness when i first installed the JB4 a week ago... I would of had to pull the whole thing off to troubleshoot. Everything works fine without it.. Bad Harness? Invisible gremlin? Jabberwalkie?

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 06-30-2018 at 11:53 AM..
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM

Got a picture of your EWG connector?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Was away for the week, sorry for the delay. Here is a picture as requested. For now i have it ziptied up and out of the way (still connected to JB4 DB25

I really need to get this working as i will be ordering BMS meth kit soon.
Attached Images

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2018, 12:07 PM

An EWG wire must be wrong on the JB4 connector end. Photo of those?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2014 435I
Default 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Should look like this on the jb4. For n55 F series..
Attached Images

'14 435I RWD MHD "Twisted Custom Tune" BigBoost Stage 3 Turbo PR Coils XHP Trans Tune GFB DV+ VRSF Race Cooler VRSF CP BMS Intake Borla ATAK Exhaust Custom Down-pipe stage 3 LPFP BMP4 EKP M Performance LSD Phoenix Racing PI Intake Manifold AIC2-P controller e85 3.5 TMAP NGK 5992 Plugs "0.020"
(#9)
Old

Default 07-07-2018, 05:26 PM

Yup, looks like i plugged my EWG blue into pin 14 instead of 16 (eyes must be getting old). Pulled it out and will crimp on a new male DB pin and plug in the right place and try again.

Also, I had to snap off the old pin in the 14 location (did not have the removal tool) I see in the diagram above you have a PI yellow and a PI white in pins 1 and 14. I don't have those, what are they for? If i need do yuse them I can get a pin removal tool to get the old pin out of the occupied 14 (snapped off pin) if not ill just leave it there, no harm done.
Attached Images

(#10)
Old

Car: 2014 435I
Default 07-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Pi in the diagram is referring to my Port injection controller. You wont need those spots unless you install a port injection system later.. that would be the only time you need to get that broken pin out.

'14 435I RWD MHD "Twisted Custom Tune" BigBoost Stage 3 Turbo PR Coils XHP Trans Tune GFB DV+ VRSF Race Cooler VRSF CP BMS Intake Borla ATAK Exhaust Custom Down-pipe stage 3 LPFP BMP4 EKP M Performance LSD Phoenix Racing PI Intake Manifold AIC2-P controller e85 3.5 TMAP NGK 5992 Plugs "0.020"
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM

If you put it in the wrong spot, best option is to cut/splice the wire. The required DSUB removal tool is tricky to use even if you happen to have one.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: 2016 435ix GC
Default If the wires were swapped - 08-23-2019, 11:03 AM

If the wires were swapped would the ewg connector still even work
what behavior would i see if it were swapped.

- If the wires were correct, and I am still getting those codes what then?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
H&R Springs, Sways, Strut Tower bar, 19"x10 Rotiforms, Too much carbon goodness
(#13)
Old

Default EWG cable trials and errors - 09-02-2019, 08:59 AM

I am having the same issue and have been since I installed it. Recently I have tried a few things to diagnose and recorded a few noted scenarios when the code gets thrown.

NOTE: I run Map 5 and with the EWG I see 17psi+ depending on the gear im in and rpm. Without it I am locked in at 14.5 psi it seems. My local area has 93 octane. When I throw in an octane booster and 93 gas with ewg I can hit 18.5psi pretty regularly. So I know the EWG connector is working despite the codes.

Through another forum it has been suggested to hit the start button with out stepping on the break to let the car sort of boot up before starting. I have done that religiously and no diff.

1. Cold start or first start of the day the code never comes up for me

2. After a decent drive whether I push the car or not, Once the engine compartment is hot, and I restart from a stop, the code gets thrown.

3. If I adjust the wastegate adaption back to 60 from JB4 settings it goes away for a while on same scenario restarts

4. After about a week to two my Wastegate adaption goes back to 150

5. I have once been able to make it stop throwing the code daily and only radomly every few days or so by removing and reconnecting the connectors once after a had some coolant leak that got the plug wet.

6. I wrapped the wiring harness in heat protective insulation, no change

7. I removed the connectors and have applied Dyelctric grease to the plugs to make sure the connection is secure and that seems to have brought the problem back.

8. It seems to respond to taking the connector on and off to make any change in behavior or even prevent the code throw. Which leads me to believe its a connector issue and faulty connector assembly.

Conclusion based on observation is that heat expands the connectors and causes them to not have as tight if a connection so at start its not quite getting full voltage and throws the code. I personally believe its a connectivity issue rather than system issue.

My next attempt:
1. zip tie the connectors together
2. Wrap the connectors in heat shield

Ill report back

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
(#14)
Old

Default Possible Solve - Trial stage - 09-02-2019, 10:33 AM

After my last reply, I disconnected my EWG connector, sprayed it down thoroughly with MAF cleaner. Let is sit for 20 minutes to dry and drain. Then reconnected it.

1. Connections to wastegate side: Firmly connected ensuring click lock and that the grey locking clip was pressed in

2. JB4 side connector, did the same however of the two connectors this one seemed weakest given the type of connector housing used. So decided to use zip ties to get added security.
  • small zip tie facrtory EWG control cable right below connector - loose draw
  • connect the Factory and JB4 connectors together.
  • second zip tie vertically tie around the two connectors looping through the small zip tie tie loop. Using it like an anchor tighten the vertical tie and wedge the zip tie into the JB4 connectors grooves for added security.
  • Tighten and clip ends
  • Loosely zip tie the hardness toi keep cables away from turbo manifold are. Keep it fairly loose as your engine moves during acceleration it could cause additional movememet in connectors if you fasten the harness too tight.
  • Started car, reset wastegate adaptation to 60, read and delete all codes

Result
Drove for 10 min warmed up and let the car ease into boost. Did several pulls and slowly the wastegate adaptation kicked in and boost got higher closer to target. Hit within 1 PSI of taget. Ran the car hot for several runs and eventually headed home and powered down.

Test
1. Start button no brakes, boot cycled car, then started: No Code
2. Shut down all the way, restart without boot cycle process by immediately starting car: No Code
3. Repeated 3 times each: No Code

Next test is to check after the car has been sitting for 20 min and see if I throw a code again. Ill report back, meanwhile here are some maps to look at
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-02 13_00_36_Map-5.csv (26.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-02 12_53_02_Map-5.csv (88.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-02 12_46_22_Map-5.csv (53.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-02 12_43_16_Map-5.csv (87.6 KB, 8 views)

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#15)
Old

Car: bmw 335 F30 N55
Default 09-20-2019, 04:14 AM

Quick question,

Do we have to set DWP to 0 or leave it same as none EWG installed?
From Terry's post:
N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - View Single Post - F Chassis N55 JB4