N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2019 Infiniti Q60 RS 400
Default JB4 First Log - 02-18-2020, 05:49 PM

Hello,

I received my JB4 today - new unit with aluminum case and fuel wires built into the harness. Took about an hour to install once I gave up on fighting with the firewall plug

Fuel wires are installed but I've no idea what to do with them yet... still wading through the forum (I'm on page 15 of 203....)

I had to take a quick trip out in the snow (!) tonight so I tried my first data log.

Unfortunately I have 3/4 tank of 91 octane on board, so the numbers (assuming I'm reading them right) seem to say that it's pulling timing.

Anyway, 2019 Q60 Red Sport, bone stock, 91 octane, Map 3, 3rd gear pull from 2000 - 6600 RPM.

I think it'll look better when I get a tank of 94 on board, or maybe mix some E into this tank....

Cheers!

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-18 18_47_40_Map-3.csv (6.4 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by GaryM; 02-18-2020 at 06:38 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 02-18-2020, 07:05 PM

It looks good, but I would turn it down to map 2 until you get some higher octane in there.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-18-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
It looks good, but I would turn it down to map 2 until you get some higher octane in there.
Thanks, and yes I will definitely turn it down tomorrow morning. I've attached my graph for what it's worth.

From the log I can see IGN hitting between 0 and 2 a few times: I assume that's timing being yanked off due to knock, right?

In the future, do we post the logs here, or is there someone else to hang them for evaluation/recommendation?

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Images

(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-18-2020, 07:41 PM

It looks pretty normal, maybe one timing pull at 5300 rpm?

You can post the logs here for us to evaluate.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-18-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
It looks pretty normal, maybe one timing pull at 5300 rpm?

You can post the logs here for us to evaluate.
Thanks again for the reply. I obviously have some studying to do, as I thought the numbers looked pretty bad. It looked to me that timing was retarded at around 3100RPM and held pretty low until almost 6 grand. Then again, the numbers seem to tell me that it's calling for spark at 50 deg BTDC from 2100 to almost 2500 RPM... that can't be right.

I'll keep at it...

Cheers!

Gary
Attached Images

(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-18-2020, 09:29 PM

This should help with reading some logs

Logging Parameters and their Meaning - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 02-19-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
This should help with reading some logs
Awesome, thanks!

Gary
(#8)
Old

Default Reading, reading, reading.... - 02-21-2020, 04:19 PM

I'm on page 78 of 200+ of the big giant thread.

I promise to read 'til the end before I ask any more questions

Some bad news: I clocked a 4.6 second 0-60 pull with JB4/Map 2 the other evening.

Some good news: That was on winter run-flats, on a dampish and dirty road, with 1/2 tank of 91 octane. The wheels, both front and back, broke loose big time on launch and a little bit shifting into second, and the throttle slammed shut (~25%) twice. The car was a bit sideways and hopping like a wounded rabbit for what seemed like eternity.

I think, given those conditions, the JB4 was doing it's thing just fine... heh

Aaaaaand my Dragy arrived today. Yay.

Looking forward to summer tires and clean roads.

Cheers!
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2020, 07:45 PM

The good stuff is all in the first post.

But sounds like boost by gear will be your friend!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

(#10)
Old

Default 02-22-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
But sounds like boost by gear will be your friend!
Awesome!

Now, hopefully by the time I get to page 203 (currently on page 87) I might even have a clue what that means

Heh

Cheers!

Gary
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Just update to latest v8 firmware, set 1st gear to 6psi, 2nd gear to 2psi, and that should help a lot.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

(#12)
Old

Default 1st Real Logs - 02-23-2020, 02:57 PM

Finally got a decent tank of gas (94) ... took me a few days to run the tank of 91 dry.

2019 Q60 RS AWD

I just enabled the fuel wires and went out to make a few logs that someone can hopefully have a look at.

1st 2 runs were ~2000-7000 pulls in 3rd gear, Map 2
3rd run was a ~2000-7000 pull in 3rd gear, and my first crack at Map 6*
4th run was a 0-60 pull, Sport+, traction control off, manual mode, short shifting at 6500, also in Map 6*

The timing, to me, looks way better on 94 than it did on 91 (duh). Not sure about how well the fuel wires are working, but it looks to me that I was down in the low 12s at WOT... I guess that's what we're looking for, right?

Anyway, I look forward to your thoughts on these logs. I'll post them then go graph them in Excel to have a look.

Oh and Terry: I will definitely be taking your advice on the boost limiting by gear: Even on a dry road I could hear the tires protesting (they didn't really break loose, no hopping, but I could hear them whining like they do when you corner juuuuust a little too hard). Not thrilled with the 4.6 second time (that's stock 0-60 time for the RS) but I'm still on winter run flats, no brake boost this time, etc...)

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

*My initial Map 6 (pretty conservative, I think, and stays under 20PSI):

1500 1.0
2000 2.0
2500 3.0
3000 4.0
3500 5.0
4000 5.0
4500 5.0
5000 5.0
5500 4.0
6000 3.0
6500 1.0
7000 0.0

Last edited by GaryM; 02-24-2020 at 06:31 PM..
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-24-2020, 11:21 AM

Looks pretty good to me!
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 02-24-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Looks pretty good to me!
Thanks Payam,

I'm still concerned that it's not working properly (probably entirely my fault) but will hold off on worrying about it until I've read more (on page 176 now...) and the weather is good enough to mount my summer tires.

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Gary
(#15)
Old

Default OK, Iím licensed to ask dumb questions now ;) - 02-24-2020, 05:48 PM

I read all 204 pages

I updated to firmware V8

I can now legally ask inane questions. Heh

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. Selecting ECO mode does indeed switch to Map 8. And, more importantly, switching out of ECO restores the previous map. Two thumbs up for that. I know that Terry said he didn’t need this information any more, but I just want to feel like part of the team. Heh
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM
I read all 204 pages

I updated to firmware V8

I can now legally ask inane questions. Heh

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. Selecting ECO mode does indeed switch to Map 8. And, more importantly, switching out of ECO restores the previous map. Two thumbs up for that. I know that Terry said he didnít need this information any more, but I just want to feel like part of the team. Heh
Switching maps on the fly like that is sooo cool lol. Jealous!

Burger Motorsports