N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2012 F30 335i
Default Drivetrain malfunction TMAP issue - 08-31-2018, 10:37 AM

I get the drivetrain malfunction error with the attached codes from my JB4. No idea what's wrong anymore. I thought I may have messed up the tmap ground at the dme but the JB4s posi tap ground method didn't help
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default 08-31-2018, 10:48 AM

I think that's what I've had and read about others having. Only 3 times, all since putting in the port injection controller. Disconnecting the battery fixes it (temporarily). Cause unknown.

By the way, it's only appeared right when starting the car.

Last edited by hi rpm; 08-31-2018 at 10:59 AM..
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-31-2018, 12:52 PM

Many possible causes. Normally, it's the JB4 board getting power when it should not be and waking up early. Photos of the wiring and install?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default 08-31-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Many possible causes. Normally, it's the JB4 board getting power when it should not be and waking up early. Photos of the wiring and install?
I tapped into the JB4's power wire for the port injection controller, as that was the only way to follow the instructions literally. Is there a capacitor or something in the PIC that could feed back? I'm not an electronics pro.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-03-2018, 08:23 AM

I think my wiring is ok, I'm tapped into the 5v power for the bluetooth connect. So as an update I did the following things with the associate results:

-Disconnected wireless JB4 bluetooth connect kit: Result is no more check engine light (drivetrain malfunction persists)
-Left bluetooth connect kit disconnected but then did the TMAP ground fix with positaps: Result is drivetrain malfunction persists and check engine light re-appears

I think the next step i'll do is disconnect the JB4 completely and see what happens. Then maybe update to the newest JB4 and bluetooth connect kit 3.6?
(#6)
Old

Default 09-03-2018, 08:23 AM

I think my wiring is ok, I'm tapped into the 5v power for the bluetooth connect. So as an update I did the following things with the associate results:

-Disconnected wireless JB4 bluetooth connect kit: Result is no more check engine light (drivetrain malfunction persists)
-Left bluetooth connect kit disconnected but then did the TMAP ground fix with positaps: Result is drivetrain malfunction persists and check engine light re-appears

I think the next step i'll do is disconnect the JB4 completely and see what happens. Then maybe update to the newest JB4 and bluetooth connect kit 3.6?
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-03-2018, 08:32 AM

The fault indicates it's coming from the MAP sensor (brown patch), so first thing I'd so it put MAP sensor to stock leaving the rest installed.

Your tests above don't really add up, neither should have any effect on just a MAP sensor fault. If you were getting faults from every sensor, or the TMAP, that would be a different store.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 09-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The fault indicates it's coming from the MAP sensor (brown patch), so first thing I'd so it put MAP sensor to stock leaving the rest installed.

Your tests above don't really add up, neither should have any effect on just a MAP sensor fault. If you were getting faults from every sensor, or the TMAP, that would be a different store.
Terry that makes sense. So i put the MAP sensor back to stock but the drivetrain malfunction MAP sensor short to ground persists. Do you think I need a new MAP sensor? Is this the same part as the TMAP sensor?
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-06-2018, 12:33 PM

Yes it's the same part for N55, try switching them to see if the fault moves to TMAP.

Burger Motorsports