N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 VR30 EWG Connectors - 02-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Starting a thread for those who are helping test out the new JB4 EWG VR30 connectors.

What are the EWG connectors?

They are optional connections that attach the JB4 to the wastegate actuators on each turbo. By attaching directly in this way the JB4 is able to increase or decrease WGDC in a dynamic way to improve boost targeting. The benefits are increased turbocharge response, ability to correct for under-boost or over-boost conditions, and more top end power as the JB4 is no longer capped by the ECU tuning WGDC limits. The technology is similar to the EWG control for BMW models the JB4 has been using running for many years and includes a PID control loop for smart targeting.

Order connectors here: https://www.burgertuning.com/product...d-infiniti-q50

Availability: We're working on ramping up production but it's going to be a slow process as the connectors used for these are hard to source. For now we'll add them to our site as we have them.

How do I install them?

First they must be attached to the JB4 harness by attaching the wires in to the JB4 connector. Be careful to note the connection points/numbers carefully as mistakes here will lead to fault codes and since the pin require a DSUB removal tool can be tricky to fix. If you do make a mistake you're better off cutting/splicing the JB4 wires to correct it if you do not have access to or have never used a DSUB removal tool before.

EWG Connector 1:
Blue wire: Pin 19
Purple Wire: Pin 9

EWG Connector 2:
Blue wire: Pin 14
Purple wire: Pin 8

Plugging them in to the wastegates:

Driver side connection:
Connectors are interchangeable and either connector can attach to the driver side. The connection is down by the turbo. You can reach it without removing anything on a cold engine. You may need to use a screwdriver to push the connector down while holding the clip in with your finger.

Passenger side connection:
Either connector can attach to the passenger side. You may need to remove the airbox bottom to access the connector which will then be easy to see/reach.

JB4 Settings:

VR30 requires v8+ JB4 firmware.

User Adjustment Page:
1) 50 across the board under duty bias. This represents a "neutral" base EWG mapping meaning no WGDC is added or subtracted. The base mapping is shown under the FF curve in logs. Cars that tend to over boost will need lower values (e.g. 40 or 45 across the board), and other vehicles that are under boosting will need higher values. The profile can be set by RPM to reduce top end boost taper for example.
2) FF set to 50, this factor is multiplied by duty bias to globally scale up or down the FF mapping.
3) PID gain set to 20, this determines the dynamic WGDC range, how far above or below FF WGDC can go based on boost over/under targeting.
4) Auto Shift Reduction set to 60, this determines how much WGDC is cut during shifts to tune turbine speed change related boost spiking.
5) RS models should also set options/FUD bit6 on, this setting increases the modeled flash boost target (DMEBT) which together with ECU_PSI form the basis of the PID control on WGDC.

Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: Q50 Red Sport
Default Logs - 04-03-2020, 05:26 PM

Here are some logs I took on my RS with e15 Mix at 94 octane with the new EWG. One is with the duty cycle set at 55 across the board and the other is 60. As my car typically underboost. How they look?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200403_185854_runs(1).csv (10.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: csv 20200403_190908_runs(1).csv (7.4 KB, 111 views)
(#3)
Old

Default 04-04-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbowling42
Here are some logs I took on my RS with e15 Mix at 94 octane with the new EWG. One is with the duty cycle set at 55 across the board and the other is 60. As my car typically underboost. How they look?
Terry @ BMS Bump
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Raise FF to 60, set options bit6 on for RS, and relog!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-05-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Raise FF to 60, set options bit6 on for RS, and relog!
So for clarification, keep the duty bias at 60 and raise ff to 60 as well? Also I should have bit 6 set for those last runs. Did it not take?
(#6)
Old

Car: Q50S Red Sport RWD
Default HELP Limp Mode after EWG wire install - 04-05-2020, 12:28 PM

Good Afternoon community.

I installed the new EWG wires on my 2019 Q50S RED SPORT AWD. I have JB4 with the fuel wires and now I go into limp mode once I go full WOT. No matter the map I got error codes 2562 and 2586.

Please see attached link of log below in Map 3 before it went into limp mode.

Car parked revs fine but when driving its when it goes bananas.

Is there a guide to setting this up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Arr...ew?usp=sharing

(#7)
Old

Default 04-05-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiQ50RS

I installed the new EWG wires on my 2019 Q50S RED SPORT AWD. I have JB4 with the fuel wires and now I go into limp mode once I go full WOT. No matter the map I got error codes 2562 and 2586.

it looks like from the log that you have not set the values (PID Gain,Auto Shift Red,FF, or any of your Duty Bias's) i would make sure to set those from page 1 of this forum and see if that helps. its the last section before the pictures.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Fault codes generally indicate a wiring issue like purple plugs swapped.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 04-05-2020, 12:48 PM

hey Terry, did you mean for me to keep the Duty Bias at 60 and also move the FF to 60 as well? also is there a spot in the logs to see if Options bit 6 is on? im app says it is but you suggested i turn it on. what am i missing lol
N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - View Single Post - Stinger 3.3L EWG Connectors
(#10)
Old

Default Just checked settings in JB4 Ap - 04-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the reply it looks like I never did the user adjustment part of the installation. After setting the default settings you wrote on page 1 of this thread I did a full WOT pull on the car. No limp mode. Car felt different. Not sure if better. Later will run with Draggy to check if it helped improve 0-60 and 1/4 times.Please find attached my log for Map 6 run.

Thank you for all your help. FYI temps spiked hard from 189 to 205 for both oil and water. I have seen this temps usually at the track.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200405_1548_runs(1).csv (218.0 KB, 86 views)
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Hi Terry,

Thank you for the reply it looks like I never did the user adjustment part of the installation. After setting the default settings you wrote on page 1 of this thread I did a full WOT pull on the car. No limp mode. Car felt different. Not sure if better. Later will run with Draggy to check if it helped improve 0-60 and 1/4 times.Please find attached my log for Map 6 run.

Thank you for all your help. FYI temps spiked hard from 189 to 205 for both oil and water. I have seen this temps usually at the track.
Still not doing what I want, I think the RS setting is missing from your firmware so I emailed a copy of v9 to load and relog.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 04-05-2020, 01:46 PM

so you sent to me or miamiQ50RS lol i asked about the RS setting unless i missed his Comment. Edit: never mind ha i think i miss understood. ha
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
so you sent to me or miamiQ50RS lol i asked about the RS setting unless i missed his Comment. Edit: never mind ha i think i miss understood. ha
MiamiQ50RS. Your latest log?

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 04-05-2020, 02:07 PM

i was waiting to make sure i understood what you were saying to do a run, did you want me to keep the duty Bias at 60 and also set ff to 60? and i have bit 6 set in options is there a way i can see in the log to make sure it took? thanks for all the time and help by the way!!!
(#15)
Old

Default Log - 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Terry, here is my latest log though below. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200405_191657_runs(1).csv (7.3 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by jsbowling42; 04-05-2020 at 05:28 PM..
(#16)
Old

Default Hi Terry final run map 6 - 04-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Good afternoon Terry attached is a good run with two full wot pulls at map 6. One question why does the car initially hesitate almost 3 second when stepping on the accelerator before actually making power.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200405_1852_runs(4).csv (216.4 KB, 91 views)
(#17)
Old
JB4

Car: Q60 Redsport
Default 04-05-2020, 07:35 PM

I got the WGC wires installed over the weekend on my ‘17 Q60rs. It definitely feels like it’s pulling harder. Shifts are crisper and throttle response gets into the boost faster. My car tends to under boost but already a better feel with duty bias set at 50. I might try 55 or 60 next. Nice improvement Terry!
(#18)
Old

Default Log Chart - 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Boost is following TargetAcc(target+ECU_PSI), afr is level and timing looks good from what i can see. increase ff to 70? i mean the only room for improvement (maybe if any) i can see to on first WOT how boost is lagging targetAcc for a bit. thoughts?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200405_191657_runs(1).csv (7.3 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by jsbowling42; 04-06-2020 at 12:36 PM..
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Boost is following TargetAcc(target+ECU_PSI), afr is level and timing looks good from what i can see. increase ff to 70? i mean the only room for improvement (maybe if any) i can see to on first WOT how boost is lagging targetAcc for a bit. thoughts?
Unless you just like playing with excel use the JB4 windows software for charting.

DME_BT is the modeled factory target, which her is modeled for a non-RS model. You're not getting the intended EWG effect until you update the firmware again and get DME_BT up to around 16psi.

I'll work on breaking apart the VR30 EWG posts in to their own thread later today.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 04-06-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Unless you just like playing with excel use the JB4 windows software for charting.

DME_BT is the modeled factory target, which her is modeled for a non-RS model. You're not getting the intended EWG effect until you update the firmware again and get DME_BT up to around 16psi.

I'll work on breaking apart the VR30 EWG posts in to their own thread later today.
so... there will be a update for the firmware to get the correct RS model?
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Do you have V8_T8?

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Default 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Do you have V8_T8?
Ooooo t8.... no Iím on t4 Iíll update and report.
(#23)
Old

Default T8 log - 04-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Here is the new log with updates firmware.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200406_161504_runs(1).csv (11.2 KB, 102 views)
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2020, 02:47 PM

Much better. What fuel here again?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Default 04-06-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Much better. What fuel here again?
Itís a E15 mix. Should be 94 octane.