N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#251)
Old

Car: Jeep JL
Default 08-21-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Don't know on that, has to be intake related I'd think since it's an intake temp sensor fault. Photo of the manifold added?

Sorry I meant to say the Intercooler pipe from mishimoto:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Performance Intercooler Pipe, 2018+

Everything else is stock.

You donít think is anything with the JB4?
(#252)
Old
oceanblue2019

Default Sensor... - 09-07-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engmoreau
Sorry I meant to say the Intercooler pipe from mishimoto:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Performance Intercooler Pipe, 2018+

Everything else is stock.

You donít think is anything with the JB4?
That temp sensor you move from the stock IC pipe to the Mishi one is quite fragile. If when removing it and installing it in the new pipe you put too much pressure on the thermistor you will damage it and the fault you are seeing would be the result.

I suspect the sensor was damaged in moving it over and caused the problem. Replace sensor and see how it goes - it's a $25 part.
(#253)
Old

Default 09-08-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1971
That temp sensor you move from the stock IC pipe to the Mishi one is quite fragile. If when removing it and installing it in the new pipe you put too much pressure on the thermistor you will damage it and the fault you are seeing would be the result.

I suspect the sensor was damaged in moving it over and caused the problem. Replace sensor and see how it goes - it's a $25 part.

You are right, I broke it and install a new one. I took the wrangler to the dealership, the CAI temp sensor was changed. It worked for a few hours and error came back up. Is intermittent now.
I have another appointment this month.
(#254)
Old

Car: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
Default 11-09-2020, 11:02 AM

Im new to this forum but have floated around reading as a guest for a while on N54 Tech. I just purchased a 2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door and have a JB4 with data cable on the way. I read through this entire thread and was wondering if there has been any progress on this "hiccup" that is showing itself on map 2 with these jeeps? I come from the VW side of the fence having previously owned a MK7 1.8T with an IS20 swap, FBO and JB4 only, running on unleaded race gas. I'm comfortable enough saying that I have enough experience with JB4's and making custom maps through map 6 that I can pretty much do anything a professional tuner can do, ie: I know what to look for when tuning regarding ignition advance, AFR, fuel trims, etc. My questions (maybe more directed to someone at BMS; and im basing my knowledge off of tuning on VW's) are
1. Are features like FOL adjustment available yet to raise fuel pressure to bring fuel trims down?
2. Boost by gear for the first 3 gears?
3. Setting 1500rpm boost target cell to over 10psi to make the rest of the cells switch to absolute instead of additive?
4. And I'm assuming that all of the logging parameters are available now like IGN advance, AFR, target and actual boost, fuel trims, throttle and rpm?
(#255)
Old

Default 11-09-2020, 11:04 AM

i also forgot to mention that I am a technician for Chrysler and have access to more information than thr average person would have access to; just so i can lend a hand and help make some progress with making the firmware the best it can be.
(#256)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-09-2020, 09:13 PM

The Jeep JB4 options are more limited currently than other models. Boost by gear is actually boost by speed and active, as are the basic logging parameters, but some of the more advanced parameters are not supported yet. There is no absolute mapping, no FOL adjustment yet.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#257)
Old

Default 11-10-2020, 05:09 AM

Ok I see. Going to be awesome when everything is up and running. As soon as my JB4 arrives I'm gunna try and do some diagnosing and see what this hiccup might be that some people are experiencing on map 2. Some other members were saying that the hiccup happened although much less aggressively with traction control off which makes me wonder if it can be confirmed that it would go away completely with the ABS fuse pulled as traction control by the button on the dash doesn't fully disable traction control and actually leaves ESC on which may explain the "lesser" hiccup with TCS off. As soon as I get my JB4 hooked up and see what I find I'll make a post.
(#258)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-10-2020, 01:47 PM

Sounds like a plan!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#259)
Old

Default 11-26-2020, 05:53 AM

So the JB4 arrived. I've always ran 91 octane in it since new and I got everything hooked up. Map 1 works awesome. I loaded map 2 and still no problems and I'm still running 91 octane with it as well; no hiccups, no engine light, no hesitation, no nothing. I'm not sure what to say to the other members having issues on Map 2. Since I can't re create the problem on my own Jeep, it may seem that their problem is traction control related because my Map 2 even on 91 feels very strong through all gears. When I think back to when I had my JB4 for my MK7 Golf, out of the box it had a problem with cutting in and out and it turned out that one of the female side pins in the connector that connects the OBD2 to the JB4 unit was mildly damaged. I got my terminal repair kit out, fixed the pin and no more problems after that. So to all of the other members maybe double check all male and female pins on every connector for any damage or excessive spread that would cause a loose connection. Other than that the Jeep feels VERY fast; mind you I'm in a 2 door base model with LSD sitting on the stock 17" wheels. Haven't logged yet but when I have the chance I'm going to pour some 94 octane in and create a Map 6. I'll post some graphs of my runs as soon as I can. This is my second JB4 and once again I'm not disappointed one bit. Fantastic product. This Jeep is really going to get me in trouble if I'm not careful
(#260)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Glad to hear! If you ever need any tuning advice feel free to post up a log or two.

Burger Motorsports

(#261)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 05:20 PM

So I had no problems with Map 1 and Map 2, I then put in some 94 octane, loaded Map 3 and I finally got that bucking issue people were talking about. From a dead stop, not brake torquing it, 100% throttle it only seems to happen when the transmission comes out of 2nd gear and shifts into 3rd and a little bit close to the top of 3rd gear as well. Judging from the logs when it happens there is a massive boost dive for a split second and then picks back up again. What's even more weird is that I switched it back to map 2 still running 94 octane and it now bucks too at the same spot (3rd gear) although not as bad. I then proceeded to log Map 1, Map 2 and even Map 4 and, I don't know if I was just seeing things but actual boost numbers looked the same in Map 1, Map 2 and even Map 4. I was wondering how I was hitting 26psi in Map 4 when Map 4 is not even available. It seems that Map 1 and Map 2 worked as advertised up until I tried Map 3 and then it went bonkers. I've been at it for a few hours now messing around and even going into Map 6 and it seems that what you set targets at, it doesn't seem to fully reach them. I'm going to try and let the BUS go to sleep between runs to see if that makes any difference. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks a bunch.
(#262)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 05:53 PM

I've attached 3 pictures of graphs for each run from a dead stop. 1st one is stock, 2nd one is map 1 (which still seems to be fine; no bucking) and the 3rd one is map 2. All made on 94 octane. You can see on map 2 that when it happens just after it shifts into 3rd gear there is a small dip in boost (not as big as I've seen on other logs) as well as a quick lean spike under WOT hopping up to 13.5:1 at the same time. If I do a roll at low RPM in 4th gear and stomp on it all the way to redline the log looks perfect even in map 3. AFR is perfect (11.7:1 ish), timing looks good too; although quite low rising to only 1 or 2 degrees by redline, even in stock form, but that might just be how this engine is, trims I'm not sure what the safe limit is for the Jeeps, I remember my Golf being 45 or under, but trims are 22ish stock and low 30's in map 1 and 2 which is expected. To me this seems almost like a transmission issue. Not that the transmission has an issue but that when pushing more boost it accelerates too fast for the transmission to keep up on the 1,2,3 shift because if you keep your foot in it after the hiccup, 3rd gear to 4th gear is flawless and 4th to 5th is also good. Any feedback is awesome. Thanks for your help and time.
Attached Images

(#263)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Sorry, I'm not putting everything in 1 post, I just keep thinking of things to ask you. You said boost by speed was available? Do you just input the speed (in mph) in the 1st cell (max boost 1st gear) and then set a boost value (additive)?
(#264)
Old

Car: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Default 11-29-2020, 12:30 PM

I’ve been running map 1 without issues all summer and now that fall has arrived, I actually had that bucking today starting from a stop between the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. The cold air definitely makes a huge difference in the Jeep iat, so it’s making more power. It feels like the truck is purposely cutting power like it’s hitting a torque limiter or something during the top of the rpm range before the shift.
(#265)
Old

Default 11-30-2020, 05:15 AM

That's very similar to what's happening to me. Although I found something else that I think might be the more likely problem, at least for what I'm seeing on my own Jeep. I spent about 4 hrs playing around with the JB4 trying to get it to do different things to see what I could come up with and it had gotten dark by this point, I noticed that Map 2 on 94 octane was bucking on the 2-3 shift and at that point thought I'd give the Jeep a bit of break. Well I go to park it and leave it idle, get out, pop the hood to let some heat out of the engine bay and notice right away that the hot side of the turbo and a section of the *** is GLOWING red. Right then and there I pretty much figured this was the problem. I let it idle with the hood open for a good 20 min, turbo isn't glowing anymore and with no changes made to the JB4, still in map 2 and 94 octane, I do a pull from a dead stop and it's perfect again. No bucking at all, and it pulled nice a strong through all gears smoothly. At this point I'm 95% sure it's a heat related issue causing it to pull timing abruptly. The *** converter on the ******** is huge and I think at anything more than a few lbs of boost over stock is just causing a blockage basically and causing the turbo to retain way too much heat. The solution would be a ******* ******** which I know AFE makes a 3" stainless one. Even after driving it the next few days it is still perfect. I find as long as I don't do any multiple hour long tuning sessions it's fine.
(#266)
Old

Car: wrangler
Default 11-30-2020, 10:17 AM

I have had the bucking/throttle cutting issue on all maps sense I purchased mine about a year ago. I finally had to unplug it a few weeks ago because my jeep was undrivable anything over half throttle. Sense unplugging the module the jeep drives perfect. I really hope a patch comes out soon so I can enjoy the extra HP.
(#267)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-30-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade.JL
So I had no problems with Map 1 and Map 2, I then put in some 94 octane, loaded Map 3 and I finally got that bucking issue people were talking about.
You posted photos. Attach the CSV log for tuning advice.

But based on the photo you rolled in to the 1st gear rev limiter. Only solution for that current is to manually shift sooner or use boost by gear to lower boost in 1st.

Burger Motorsports

(#268)
Old

Default 12-01-2020, 02:44 PM

Whoops, that's my bad. I'll do more runs and get more logs and post actual CSV files this time. I've noticed during runs the transmission seems to hang on to gears before up shifting sometimes. It's hit or miss but I'm trying to figure out how that might cause a hiccup at the beginning of 3rd gear. Perhaps the trans hanging on to 1st gear messes up the timing for the rest of the upshifts? Not to sure but all I know is that when I pound on it hard for a while playing with the JB4 it will start to buck/hiccup even in map 2, but if I let it idle with the hood open or just cruise for 5 or 10 min on the highway normally and then get into it again the bucking and hiccuping will stop. I'm still leaning towards this being a c.a.t. c.o.n.v.e.r.t.e.r. "blockage" at higher boost levels holding in too much heat and not letting the turbo breath properly. I remember on my Golf that the stock ******** was a big restriction when you got into tuning it and when you tried to push it harder on anything more than map 1 or even a mild map 6 the car would not be happy. As soon as I put the c.a.t.l.e.s.s. d.o.w.n.p.i.p.e. on the Golf it made a world of a difference. I'll post back as soon as I can with more info and logs.
(#269)
Old

Default 12-01-2020, 04:04 PM

I forgot to ask, how do you setup the boost by speed feature. The boost by gear doesn't seem to work. I can put 20psi in the first cell block for 1st gear and it'll only hit 15psi through all gears.
(#270)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-01-2020, 04:54 PM

It's a boost reduction. Enter 3psi in 1st gear and log that, and attach the CSV so we can check it out.

Burger Motorsports

(#271)
Old

Default 12-02-2020, 02:03 PM

So I got a chance to do a log. This is Map 2 with a 3psi reduction in 1st gear.
Map 2 even without the reduction, for me, has no problems. I noticed that if I logged Map 2 and re created Map 2 target boost levels across the rpm range and input it into Map 6 identically, it would buck going into 3rd gear.
Attached Files
File Type: csv jb4 map 2 with 3 psi reduction in 1st gear.csv (7.2 KB, 1 views)
(#272)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Do a map2 run with 1st gear at 5psi for comparison here.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports