N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#76)
Old

Car: 2011 335i-X
Default 11-23-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando @ BMS
I drive the Z06 better then Payam. Results and videos proof
Where would you like me to ship your cookie?
(#77)
Old

Default 11-23-2016, 02:12 AM

Aquamist Meth injection will solve the drop of whp run after run.
(#78)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-23-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S
Ford runs closed loop wideband on almost all their engines now. Coyote's got it in 2011.... All Lambda targeted.

Terry, I thought the DI LT4 does use closed loop WOT Lambda targeting???
It has crappy narrow band o2 sensors. Wide open throttle is open loop.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#79)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 11-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Haha it's such a long drive. Maybe I'll send Ando or Payam down with the car.
I'd imagine there will be another NFZ in CA in the spring.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#80)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM

Hopefully so. And there is always shift sector.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#81)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 12-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Terry, any 60-130 numbers for the car yet?
(#82)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2016, 03:26 PM

No nothing good. Was going to time it the other day with the latest changes but the VBOX decided it didn't want to pickup any satellites.

I actually spent a couple hrs last night developing a low torque map for it. I installed a 2.3" pulley the other day and at full timing it just spins the factory tires through 2nd on a 40mph roll. Sometimes in 3rd too. Knocked timing down 5-6 degrees in the midrange and it seems to have done the trick. Jason is racing our M3 at Famoso tomorrow, I'm going to bring the Z06, for the hell of it.

Burger Motorsports

(#83)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Hit Famoso today with the Z06 and M3 for the Redlist drag event. Overall fun day of racing with DA below 1000' which is great for this track. But per usual lots of break downs and delays. I took 3 runs in the Z06 between 10am and 3pm before taking the long drive home.

The Z06 currently has an AFE intake, 2.3" upper pulley, ported throttle body, and is tuned for E30. It's on the factory rims/tires. And a lower torque map I wrote for it.

Two runs launching off idle resulted in 1.7 60' times. I tried one launch going for glory brake boosting but it just spun badly off the line. Overall I found the car pretty predictable and easy to race on the factory tires.

Jason raced the M3 and ran a best of 11.0@133 as of when I left the track. He had a hard time launching it per usual, maybe time for better tires.

The Z06 has a "performance recorder" and here is the video from the run. It's 1/4 mile time is not that accurate though.

Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#84)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 12-03-2016, 07:09 PM

10.7s with basic bolt-ons. Pretty good.

Can't see the vid though. It says its private.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550i xDrive
2018 Silver Equinox LT 2.0T
(#85)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-03-2016, 07:39 PM

Ah, had to publish it. Fixed. The built in recorder is cool but I wish it showed the rear view camera too in a small window.

Burger Motorsports

(#86)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 12-03-2016, 09:41 PM

Man that thing is moving!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#87)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 12-03-2016, 10:03 PM

Damn that's impressive! Nice work

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#88)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Hey guys,

Was working on the Z06 today and had a chance to do some back to back runs with and without the updated taller supercharger lid.

Testing was done on E30 with a conservative lower torque tune that consistently gets no knock retard. Makes for nice and consistent numbers run after run. Normally within 1-2whp. Car has tuning, a 2.3" pulley, and intake as its only mods.

Anyway I did a round of runs, installed the lid (took 10 min... its a lot of little bolts!), and did another round of runs. I kept the cooling time consistent between them and the chart represents basically the average of each set.

Overall the runs with the taller lid were consistently ~10-15whp higher via higher engine boost.

So if you're looking for a good way to spend ~$650 on your 2015-2016 adding in the 2017 lid and hood liner is an option. My CNC guy looked it over and got the wild idea to explore making an aftermarket CNC lid that is even higher volume, so we'll see if anything comes from that down the road.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#89)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Hum.......That a bigger plenum makes more power suggests that theres a restriction upstream of it. What is it is the question? Is it the intake system, the throttle body or the compressor itself (the plenum connects the blower to the runners, right? I haven't torn down an LT4 yet.)? If you can eliminate that, then it shouldn't need the larger plenum to make the additional power.

Mike Levy
(#90)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Basically the theory goes the taller lid improves flow through the intercooler bricks under it, less abrupt turn, allowing a little more boost all else being equal. IATs were similar but boost was higher, so the theory makes sense.

Burger Motorsports

(#91)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 01-11-2017, 09:58 PM

So then the lid itself is the restriction. Interesting. Kinda makes me wonder why GM went the upside down blower route like the LSA/LS9, instead of the upright route like the old 3800, the Hellcat and the Ford 5.4 (and virtually all aftermarket roots/screw blowers). That eliminates the lid and forces the air through a larger brick and into the runners. Unless the upright way is too tall for the Vette......

Mike Levy
(#92)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Space is a factor, this taller lid required a new interior hood liner to clear. At least Chevy improved power for 2017 models with this lid. The 2017 models also have the intercoolers angled slightly differently to take advantage of the extra space.

Burger Motorsports

(#93)
Old

Car: 335
Default 01-18-2017, 04:10 PM

Z06's are no joke with minor mods.

Some guys are dipping into upper 9's @ 140 with about $2,500(intake, pulley, xpipe, 93 tune, DR's).
(#94)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-10-2017, 08:58 PM

Name:  drop_in_comp.jpg
Views: 7674
Size:  94.9 KB

Hey guys,

I've been slowly working on the Z06 intake system. What I've been able to confirm via flow testing is that the factory intake piping and MAF housing are themselves not restrictive at all. They could probably support 900whp. But the thick drop in filter base itself is where the problem is. It's molded such that it blocks off potential airflow in to the MAF housing.

To address this we designed a drop in filter that has a thinner and less restrictive base to better mate up to the factory MAF housing, kept the filter DRY to avoid oil contamination on the MAF, and using a flow bench optimized the pleats and other dimensions.

The net result was a drop in filter that offers 15% less restriction than factory and 10% less restriction than the "leading" aftermarket drop in filter, when flowed tested through the factory intake piping. We actually went further and found a simple way to modify the airbox to accept a longer drop in filter that offered even less restriction, but after dyno testing, determined it was overkill.

Name:  inside_comp.jpg
Views: 7477
Size:  180.5 KB

Name:  flow_testing2.jpg
Views: 7878
Size:  39.7 KB

With first articles of the new drop in and our trusty AFE intake in tow I headed to the dyno today for a few hours of testing.

Name:  trunk.jpg
Views: 7739
Size:  96.4 KB

The test car is a 2016 Z06 automatic that I've tuned with HP Tuners. I run it on 6 gallons of E85, rest of the tank 91 octane, and I've tuned it for a low 12s AFR and around 21 degrees peak total timing, with timing as low as 10 degrees in the midrange to reduce torque for traction purposes. Overall a conservative tune. The car has a 2.3" upper pulley, home ported throttle body, and 2017 supercharger lid.

Since output can vary day to day based on weather, fuel mixture, and other minor factors I did a few pulls with the AFE intake on to ensure I had a good baseline for the day.

Name:  afe_in_car.jpg
Views: 7919
Size:  93.1 KB

Next, I switched over to the factory airbox and first tested the stock air filter. To keep everything apples to apples I had to go through the tuning and "undo" the various changes I had made to compensate for the AFE intake misreading the MAF. Primarily MAF sensor scaling, PE changes, and a minor adjustment to the base timing curve to keep timing and AFR similar. So often tuners fail to isolate variables which are what generally lead to wild and misleading test results.

Name:  dropin_car.jpg
Views: 7617
Size:  94.2 KB

Once everything was matched up I did a few runs and took the best of which to compare with the best AFE run. As expected with the AFE boost was marginally higher resulting in 10-15whp gained. Not the 30-50whp result people get when comparing a too-rich stock tune to a much leaner and over-timed intake only result (due to unintended MAF rescaling).

Next I switched over to the BMS drop in filter we're evaluating. I was expecting no additional tuning changes to be required vs the stock filter to arrive at the same low 12 AFR I run the car at. But to my surprise, the AFR was much leaner than I wanted with the stock MAF tuning. About 5 pulls later I realized I had to put in almost every change I had made for the AFE intake. And when doing so, matching up the AFR and timing curves, power with the BMS drop in was basically identical (if not slightly better) than the AFE intake.

Name:  z06_intake_dyno.jpg
Views: 7955
Size:  179.1 KB

I had set out to design a drop in filter that would give OEM AFR and timing values while allowing more flow. And what I ultimately discovered is that it's impossible to do so. If you improve the airflow MAF calibration differences are unavoidable. On the plus side, with this new drop filter, there is no longer a need for expensive and IMHO ugly intake systems. But we're going to have the same annoying problems that everyone has with the intakes now. Some cars will likely work fine with their factory, some might need tuning to enrich the AFR, etc. Little variables like whether your fuel is E0 or E10, elevation, DME version, will all play a role in that.

Anyway I've decided to move forward with the project and have a bunch of filters in production. When they arrive I'll start soliciting testers and get some 2016 and 2017 stock vehicles on the dyno to better quantify things for untuned vehicles. For those tuned who don't like the look of their aftermarket intake... You'll have an OEM looking alternative soon.

PS. I have a slightly used AFE intake system for sale.

Burger Motorsports

(#95)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 04-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Are there any CARB headers for it? Knowing GM, there's probably a big restriction there.

Mike Levy
(#96)
Old

Car: BMW 335is
Default 04-15-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Space is a factor, this taller lid required a new interior hood liner to clear. At least Chevy improved power for 2017 models with this lid. The 2017 models also have the intercoolers angled slightly differently to take advantage of the extra space.
Terry, are you going to be releasing any piggyback or tune for this Z06 model? Or any aftermarket options? Or is this all your doing for fun?

2011 BMW 335is DCT E92 AW Fully loaded M sport everything/coral red interior with snakeskin like panels/Premium 19" style 313M [NOW]

JB4 G5 ISO/BMS DCI/ER CP+HKS BOV/VRSF MEOWLESS ***/STOCK RFTs

12.57 @ 114.81 @ PACIFIC RACEWAYS KENT,WA
(#97)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cash702
Terry, are you going to be releasing any piggyback or tune for this Z06 model? Or any aftermarket options? Or is this all your doing for fun?
No piggyback plans for it since its so easy and cheap to tune via HP Tuners. It's tempting to make a MAF translator like product since the tuning is so heavily MAF based. But, I think we'll just do the high-flow drop in filter, maybe a couple little CNC parts, and call it a day. Awesome car though.

Burger Motorsports

(#98)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM

I had some spare time today, and straight 91 octane in the Z06 tank, so I decided to checkout the 91 octane only tuning. Compared to 30% E85 minimum best timing is significantly lower as is total power output. Overall happy with the 91 octane map though. Will make for a good backup when I don't have the time to mix in E85.

Mods on the car are BMS drop in filter, 2.3" upper pulley, home ported throttle body, HP Tuners.

In terms of running the drop in on the stock tuning it's still an open area. We'll see how user feedback goes. At the very least for those tuned this is a great alternative to expensive intake kits.

Also started setting up a page for it.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#99)
Old

Car: BMW 335is
Default 05-04-2017, 11:23 PM

Just drop a tune already Terry!

Quote:
I had some spare time today, and straight 91 octane in the Z06 tank, so I decided to checkout the 91 octane only tuning. Compared to 30% E85 minimum best timing is significantly lower as is total power output. Overall happy with the 91 octane map though. Will make for a good backup when I don't have the time to mix in E85.

Mods on the car are BMS drop in filter, 2.3" upper pulley, home ported throttle body, HP Tuners.

In terms of running the drop in on the stock tuning it's still an open area. We'll see how user feedback goes. At the very least for those tuned this is a great alternative to expensive intake kits.

Also started setting up a page for it.

2011 BMW 335is DCT E92 AW Fully loaded M sport everything/coral red interior with snakeskin like panels/Premium 19" style 313M [NOW]

JB4 G5 ISO/BMS DCI/ER CP+HKS BOV/VRSF MEOWLESS ***/STOCK RFTs

12.57 @ 114.81 @ PACIFIC RACEWAYS KENT,WA
(#100)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cash702
Just drop a tune already Terry!
I posted a free HP Tuners E30 and 91 octane tune for it on the Z06 forum.

Burger Motorsports