N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW m4
Default methanol concerns - 09-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Hey guys I'm looking into a meth kit for my daily 435i and maybe even my M4.

Problem is my concern of methanol vapours being expelled into the cabin. Any solutions to this? Also has anyone tried repurposing the windshield wiper fluid tank for methanol purposes? Or has anyone tried mounting the meth tank inside the engine bay?
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 135i M Sport
Default 09-05-2016, 07:06 PM

You will find that plenty of people not just with BMW's will use the Windshield Washer tank. There are pro's and con's to both.
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 09-05-2016, 09:09 PM

I know with the E series there are no meth vapors in the cabin. I wouldn't think F series would have this issue since the E series didn't. Terry is working on a trunk mount kit that sits in what would be the spare tire wheel well which should reduce this concern even more.

People used to use the windshield washer reservoir for their meth tank but stopped for fire hazard concerns.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66

2014 E84 X1 35i 12.75 @ 107MPH / 0-60 4.55 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | Custom MHD | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet | XHP Stage 2 | AEM Meth Injection | Pure Stage 2 V3 | Pure Inlet | GFB DV+ | AR DP |
(#4)
Old

Car: 2013 135i M Sport
Default 09-06-2016, 06:12 PM

any word on when/if a tank that will sit in the spare tire wheel will be available for the E series?
(#5)
Old
Legend

Default 09-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbrisbane
any word on when/if a tank that will sit in the spare tire wheel will be available for the E series?
I know the e92 there isn't much room. There was a company making custom tanks but they were like $600 or something. I would not expect BMS to manufacture something like that for E series.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4

VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | Custom MHD | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet | XHP Stage 2 | AEM Meth Injection | Pure Stage 2 V3 | Pure Inlet | GFB DV+ | AR DP |
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 09-06-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Boost
I know with the E series there are no meth vapors in the cabin. I wouldn't think F series would have this issue since the E series didn't. Terry is working on a trunk mount kit that sits in what would be the spare tire wheel well which should reduce this concern even more.

People used to use the windshield washer reservoir for their meth tank but stopped for fire hazard concerns.
it shouldnt matter what chassis you have E series or F series..... If you have anything other than a one way vented cap or completely sealed cap then methanol is able to escape. From that point on it would diffuse from high concentration to areas of lower concentration including the cabin so chassis code doesnt effect methanol vapors being present. The only reason one would be lead to believe that no vapours were present was they couldnt smell it (methanol was present but at a very low concentration), two they have a air freshener which may mask the smell. Again even with the trunk mount kit it wouldnt "eliminate" the issue just move it further back making the diffusion of vapours take longer, but I heard Terry would implement a one way cap so that should take care of things.

What I've done to solve this issue in my previous STI was run a JAZ racing cell fuel tank in a one gallon size mounted in the trunk (ensure you dont have the foam or aluminum variant as methanol will eat through it). Then I ran the vent line externally with a one way check valve to let air in and prevent vapours and fluid out for extra roll over safety. After the check valve I ran a charcoal filter to completely eliminate any chances of vapours escaping, Then at the end of the line I ran a small K&N PCV air filter to clean incoming air from road debris. The benefits with a JAZ tank is its certified to be used in motorsports application and safe in the event of an accident.

The BMS wheel well tank is no different from other F series wheel well tank asides the fact it lacks external vent capabilities (maybe Terry will throw one in), and probably a more fair price TBH (BMS always gives us good deals) but we wont know until it launches. Too bad the 2 Series and M2 cant support this tank since the battery is in that area.

Edit- Forgot to say if you have more gaps such as split fold seats the methanol vapor will be able to diffuse easier.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now

Last edited by Lowon; 09-07-2016 at 12:00 AM..
(#7)
Old

Car: 135
Default 09-18-2016, 12:55 PM

Meth vapors are not an issue. I have the 2.3 gallon tank in the trunk.
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8
Meth vapors are not an issue. I have the 2.3 gallon tank in the trunk.
Honestly it depends you can't just be oblivious and say no exposure is to be had as that's incredibly false with a 2-way vented lid. Sure the ppm of methanol you'd inhale would be incredibly small, the long term effects are still present since methanol would inflict chronic long term effects, so it would build up over time. Its best to just vent the tank externally or run a one way vented lid.

But tbh I'd be more concerned about ensuring nothing can spill out.

(#9)
Old

Car: 2013 335i
Default 09-19-2016, 03:03 PM

I have the BMS 2.3 tank in my trunk, no vapor issues. If you are really worried about it I can report that the M1 meth blend from VP Racing Fuels is colorless and odorless. I spilled a good amount in my trunk and left the trunk open overnight to air out. Next day it was all dry and no fume smells. The 50/50 boost juice I ran before was pink and smelled like bubble gum and I never bought it again because it smelled like candy in my car after using it

2013 335i F30 N55 PWG | JB4 + MHD BEF + xHP Stg3 | Pure Stage 2 + FBO | BMS PI controller + Meth | Fuel-It! Stg2 LPFP
(#10)
Old
Legend

Default 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM

I also use the BMS 2.3 gallon tank and have never had any vapor issues.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4

(#11)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 09-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Suchtragedy, doesn't that mean you did have vapor issues if your car smells like the bubblegum scent in the meth? Sort of like knowing you have a propane leak because you can smell it. You're using the VP that doesn't have a smell and it's probably in the cabin too but now you don't know. Right?
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-19-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC39
Suchtragedy, doesn't that mean you did have vapor issues if your car smells like the bubblegum scent in the meth? Sort of like knowing you have a propane leak because you can smell it. You're using the VP that doesn't have a smell and it's probably in the cabin too but now you don't know. Right?
+1
Some of you guys literally don't understand what methanol vapours are and pretty much just contradicted yourselves. It's pretty funny to read....

The guaranteed method to ensuring 99℅ no exposure is literally buying a non vented cap, tapping it with a fitting running a line from the cap to a one way check valve (only allowing air into the tank and nothing out) and running that externally with a pcv valve filter on the line to prevent debris from entering the meth kit. The reason why you want to run a check valve and externally is:
1. The check valve prevents methanol from escaping in the event of a roll over, and also inhibits methanol vapours from escaping.
2. When you run the vent outside it also guarantees if methanol does somehow make it pass the check valve it goes outside.

If you want to just let the vapours enter the cabin that's your choice, I'm here to help inform you guys, I've done alot of studies on the effects of methanol poisoning through direct skin contact, ingestion (fire breathers) and inhalation (trying to determine exposure of methanol during a potential fuel up if it ever becomes an alternative fuel source). Based on those results those exposed to methanol vapours had a noticible thinning of the retina, and slowing of frontal lobe brain activity, that probably resulted from degrading synapses.

Last edited by Lowon; 09-19-2016 at 07:14 PM..
(#13)
Old

Default 09-20-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Only had bubblegum smell when I recently removed the cap to refill, goes away after a few hours. I only mention the VP meth I use only to highlight that after my spill and letting it air out overnight there wasn't any residual traces of it, and my eyeballs weren't exploding out of my head so I am pretty sure all was safe afterward.

Obviously if you are that concerned fabricate up a engine bay mounted tank and call it a day. As far as I know the 2.3 BMS/Coolingmist tank is safe in the trunk, otherwise I don't think they'd being selling it.

2013 335i F30 N55 PWG | JB4 + MHD BEF + xHP Stg3 | Pure Stage 2 + FBO | BMS PI controller + Meth | Fuel-It! Stg2 LPFP
(#14)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM

I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. I was just concerned for your sake. If it's not bothering you then yeah, I wouldn't worry about it either. I dont run any meth at the moment but have the spare CP bung just in case.
(#15)
Old

Default 09-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. I was just concerned for your sake. If it's not bothering you then yeah, I wouldn't worry about it either. I dont run any meth at the moment but have the spare CP bung just in case.
Lol, no worries I wasn't thinking you were attacking me. I should also mention that while the 2.3 bms tank is fine from a functional standpoint, it's just too big and takes up too much trunk real estate for my applications so I am actually going to swap over to a tank that I can hide in the underside storage area in the trunk and go for a more stealth installation while getting trunk space back. I'll post pictures of the install probably once I am done if all works right.

(#16)
Old
Legend

Default 09-20-2016, 11:19 AM

My only gripe about the 2.3 gallon tank is that it is difficult to know how much methanol you have left. I see they now offer a white one that may allow you to see the fluid level.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4

(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2016, 11:23 AM

Yes that is the problem with the black tank... You can't easily see the fluid level. Of course CM makes that tank and offers a low level indicator system, but its a lot of work to wire up, another possible leak point, so we've never resold those. They are available from CM though if you need it.

I run the white tanks in our development cars but plan to switch all the F series over soon to the new stealth white tanks.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#18)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 09-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I run the white tanks in our development cars but plan to switch all the F series over soon to the new stealth white tanks.
Which will be available when?

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550i xDrive
2018 Silver Equinox LT 2.0T
(#19)
Old
Legend

Default 09-20-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yes that is the problem with the black tank... You can't easily see the fluid level. Of course CM makes that tank and offers a low level indicator system, but its a lot of work to wire up, another possible leak point, so we've never resold those. They are available from CM though if you need it.

I saw that they offered the low level switch but feared it could potentially leak. I usually top my tank off every two weeks. I go though an entire tank about once a month.

The F series tanks look great! Excited to see the finished product.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4

(#20)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Hopefully you also make a 2 series variant somehow. But I don't know if it's possible seeing that the battery occupies the whole under trunk area.

(#21)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-20-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchtragedy
Only had bubblegum smell when I recently removed the cap to refill, goes away after a few hours. I only mention the VP meth I use only to highlight that after my spill and letting it air out overnight there wasn't any residual traces of it, and my eyeballs weren't exploding out of my head so I am pretty sure all was safe afterward.

Obviously if you are that concerned fabricate up a engine bay mounted tank and call it a day. As far as I know the 2.3 BMS/Coolingmist tank is safe in the trunk, otherwise I don't think they'd being selling it.
When running meth safety is only looked at from a racing concern as it's not legal for street use. So it probably doesn't pass health regulations as it's not meant for everyday use.

Engine bay mounts are much more difficult as you have to find a place to mount the tank where the pump is level or below it. You also have to keep the pump from getting wet.

(#22)
Old
Legend

Default 09-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
Hopefully you also make a 2 series variant somehow. But I don't know if it's possible seeing that the battery occupies the whole under trunk area.
It wouldn't be a good idea to have something flammable sitting right next to the battery.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4

Last edited by Bimmer_Boost; 09-20-2016 at 03:13 PM..
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
Sorry but it's just not worth the 20-30k investment to make a new tank for such a small number of vehicles.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#24)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Boost
I wouldn't be a good idea to have something flammable sitting right next to the battery.
Yeah that's true.

(#25)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-20-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry but it's just not worth the 20-30k investment to make a new tank for such a small number of vehicles.
Totally true, well maybe next time something will come our way.