N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 535i GT
Default Charge Pipe Question - 08-26-2016, 04:16 AM

Based on the recent installation of my JB4 (running map 2 w/93 octane on an otherwise stock engine), in intend to install an aftermarket charge pipe for all the good reasons discussed many times on this board. As I am sure most of you know, the charge pipe on the N55 is a two piece unit. All of the aftermarket charge ***** I have seen only replace the portion that connects to the throttle body.

So my questions are.....

1. Are there no manufacturers that make a replacement metal piece for the section of pipe that connects to the intercooler?

2. Is the section of pipe that connects to the intercooler not a failure prone piece like the other section, which is why nobody makes one?

I am about to place my order but would rather order/install all of the parts associated with the charge pipe at one time.

James
2013 Orion Silver 535i xDrive GT - JB4 and PedalBox with more mods slowly coming.....
2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Engineering Gen I/Stage I Supercharged, Track Prepped, Yet Very Streetable
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i coupe 2010
Default CP - 08-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Hey OP,

You should be okay, I was FBO on my n54 and I know you are n55, but the n54 charge pipe looks similar with two pieces and the upgraded upper CP component. Maybe someone else can chime in on a lower CP upgrade, but you're right from what it seems. I would go with ER too, they have good fitment and quality in my opinion.

-C
(#3)
Old

Car: E92 LCI 335i M-Sport Coupe
Default 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM

The lower CP section typically comes with an aftermarket FMIC just as my ETS 7" did.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Ok, thanks. I plan on going with the ER version.

James
2013 Orion Silver 535i xDrive GT - JB4 and PedalBox with more mods slowly coming.....
2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Engineering Gen I/Stage I Supercharged, Track Prepped, Yet Very Streetable
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Just run the PHX chargepipe. Fits great and is super cheap.

http://burgertuning.com/phoenix_raci...argepipes.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 08-27-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Just run the PHX chargepipe. Fits great and is super cheap.

http://burgertuning.com/phoenix_raci...argepipes.html
I might have considered it but according to your site, that charge pipe is only compatible with E-series N54/N55 BMWs. I have an F07 535iX GT.

James
(#7)
Old

Car: 2011 335i X-drive AT
Default 08-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver
Ok, thanks. I plan on going with the ER version.
I upgraded to an ER FMIC and it came with the pipe you're referencing. Perfect fit with their charge pipe, but it would not fit the VRSF charge pipe I originally had installed due to the larger diameter on the VRSF.

2011 335i X-drive AT---Pure Stage 2---Inlet---DV+---JB4 ISO with FF wires---ER FMIC---Stage 2 LPFP---VRSF DP---ER CP---N20 TMAP---BMS Meth with CM10 and 80/20 mix---BMS E85 BEF

2014 M5 CP w/DCT--JB4 with BCM--BMS Meth with dual CM10
(#8)
Old

Car: 2011 E92 335xi M Sport 6MT
Default 08-27-2016, 12:38 PM

I have the VRSF 5" stepped FMIC on my E92 335xi. It came with a lower charge pipe that fits between their intercooler and charge pipe. That whole section from the intercooler up to the throttle is now metal (and silicone couplers). No idea if it would fit with the stock intercooler.

Given what MileHigh335i said about the ER intercooler and VRSF charge pipe, I would probably go with an upper charge pipe from the same company as whatever intercooler you choose to make sure everything fits.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver
I might have considered it but according to your site, that charge pipe is only compatible with E-series N54/N55 BMWs. I have an F07 535iX GT.
Sorry my mistake, I presumed you were E series. ER then!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Car: 2013 135i M Sport
Default 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM

I just ordered one of the charge ***** from you Terry.