N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335xi sedan
Default Burger Intake Worth It? - 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Do you guys think that it's worth replacing my stock air cooler w/ a Burger intake? I read that I will get at most a 10whp increase which may not really be noticeable in a car that already has ~370whp (w/ a Dinan Stage 1 tune). Any comments are welcome...
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Yes, it Allows less strain on turbos and a lot more air. I would ditch the Dinian and get a real tune. Jb4 is world's better than Dinian

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Yes, in my opinion it is worth it. Good sound too. Also If your stock with just dinan stage 1, your around 310whp i believe. Did your car come with the tune, or did you buy it?
(#4)
Old

Default 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Good to know, I will go for it. Regarding the Dinan, that sucker was pretty expensive but I did it b/c supposedly they do a complete re-map of the software & not just a performance boost. But mostly I did it b/c I didn't have an oil cooler & was afraid that another tune from some other company could wreck my engine. I'd love to you your thoughts!
(#5)
Old

Default 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Man, this shows my ignorance b/c I just looked at Dinan's website & read that the horsepower bumps from 300 to 360 (http://dinancars.com/product/d900-30...z4-sdrive-35i/). Hopefully I didn't just waste my money! The car definitely feels quicker but mostly at higher speeds.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 07-01-2014, 12:25 PM

I've wondered the same thing. I'm running a K&N drop-in panel filter and have no problems. From what I've read, people say that the DCI filters quickly heatsoak when hot. I'm not an expert, but I doubt that my K&N filter (not the stock one), is restricting the turbos.

If someone thinks I can gain consistent power from DCIs, I'll upgrade. My mods are in my sig. I could care less about the sound/looks... I just want consistent power.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#7)
Old

Default 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3eighteen
Man, this shows my ignorance b/c I just looked at Dinan's website & read that the horsepower bumps from 300 to 360 (http://dinancars.com/product/d900-30...z4-sdrive-35i/). Hopefully I didn't just waste my money! The car definitely feels quicker but mostly at higher speeds.
Going from stock to JB4, I was in heaven. I could feel the difference down low, up high, and everywhere in between. Gives you a real kick in the pants. Most noticeable modification I've done on any car I've ever owned.

(#8)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Sorry you spent so much money on Dinan, but it really is the worst tune on the market. Look for a used jb4 on the forums. My Lci did not have an oil cooler, and i ran JB4 for years.
(#9)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 07-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Do you guys think that it's worth replacing my stock air cooler w/ a Burger intake? I read that I will get at most a 10whp increase which may not really be noticeable in a car that already has ~370whp (w/ a Dinan Stage 1 tune). Any comments are welcome...
yeah with 370whp theres no way you will feel it
When I put my down ***** on I couldn't feel a difference same with the intercooler and even the jb4 it was hard for me to tell. Might be because I used to own a "racer" car that was more obvious when it gained power as opposed to our cars being as smooth as they are! I ran on dyno jet and hit the 400whp mark so I know my car isn't acting up either...

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#10)
Old

Car: F02/E82
Default 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM

You could of just flash your car with BMS FREE pump flash and make about what JB4 map 1 delivers that is around 320-330whp on a bone stock vehicle, up from around 270-280 stock numbers .
(#11)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 07-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Inexpensive, less restriction, adds minimal horsepower but does put less of a strain on the turbo's.

09 335XI /Cobb ATR TUNED 18.5 psi/DCI/2ND ***** '''''''/E20/Alpina/VRSF 7inch/VRSF Chargepipe with Tial BOV***

Last edited by Jnat; 07-02-2014 at 06:40 PM..
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM

The power gains are mainly > 4500rpm. If you want more top end and better sound for $100, then it's definitely worth it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#13)
Old

Default 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Are there different "types" of the JB4 mod & is that something I'd need to un-install if I took my car to the dealership?
(#14)
Old

Car: 335ix 2010
Default 07-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
yeah with 370whp theres no way you will feel it
When I put my down ***** on I couldn't feel a difference same with the intercooler and even the jb4 it was hard for me to tell. Might be because I used to own a "racer" car that was more obvious when it gained power as opposed to our cars being as smooth as they are! I ran on dyno jet and hit the 400whp mark so I know my car isn't acting up either...
Natedog you've made my night. I recently installed catted CPE *** and increased the tune to a stage 2 aggressive. Expected much more HP and acceleration gains with the quicker turbo spool up but the butt dyno didn't detect much difference. Was a bit disappointed initially especially since this was a fairly costly mod. The engine feels like it is breathing more easily just not the wow factor I expected like when I increased the intial tune and upgraded the intercooler.
(#15)
Old

Car: 08 e90 sedan
Default 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM

So if you live in cali....you cant get the DCI??? Thats rather ridiculous. My vehicle is for track use only and i cant buy it here?
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e90
So if you live in cali....you cant get the DCI??? Thats rather ridiculous. My vehicle is for track use only and i cant buy it here?
Right we're not selling any competition use only parts within California. The DCI has been submitted for CARB approval and we expect it will meet on-road standards and then we'll sell it as an on-road part. But until then. We can't sell it to you. Sorry!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#17)
Old

Default 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo
Natedog you've made my night. I recently installed catted CPE *** and increased the tune to a stage 2 aggressive. Expected much more HP and acceleration gains with the quicker turbo spool up but the butt dyno didn't detect much difference. Was a bit disappointed initially especially since this was a fairly costly mod. The engine feels like it is breathing more easily just not the wow factor I expected like when I increased the intial tune and upgraded the intercooler.
I didn't feel much when I did the ********* either. Then I did the inline pump and E85 flash, still didn't notice much of a difference. Then I added the Wedge flash, still not noticing a big difference.

I think it's because my butt dyno is broken and I did them all at separate times. I'm sure if I would have done them all at once, I would notice. Instead, I added power in small doses. After all of them, the car is quick. I don't get traction in 2nd at all, that wasn't the case before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e90
There are ways around it:
http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...od&productId=1

(#18)
Old

Default 07-03-2014, 06:10 AM

Is the issue really only engine temperature when you start tuning the engine, increasing boost, etc.? By that I mean if I simply keep an eye on my temperature and it never goes above, let's say 250, I am in the clear? Obviously there's the strain that's put on the engine but clearly there's much more horsepower/torque to be had so the only thing I can think of when Dinan says you must have an oil cooler for Stage 2 is b/c they're worried the engine will run too hot and since I rarely drive "spiritedly" I should be in the clear.
(#19)
Old

Car: 08 e90 sedan
Default 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM

There are ways around it:
http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...od&productId=1

[/QUOT

And I thank you very much good sir!
(#20)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335xi
Default 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM

yes
(#21)
Old

Car: 2013 135i M Sport
Default 07-13-2014, 04:28 PM

I'm running the Burger intake. Sounds great and I can hear the turbo spool up much better. I didn't notice anything in the "butt dyno" though.

Props to the guys at BMS. The install docs that they have are top notch and make the install really quick and easy
(#22)
Old

Car: '07 BMW 335i
Default 07-13-2014, 06:05 PM

Dinan Stg 1 does not give 370 whp. Hell, Stg 2 doesn't either. Get the JB4 or Cobb. The Dinan tunes are and huge waste of money.

I have had stock, BMW DCI, UR CAI and Stett CAI. I never really noticed a difference between them (butt dyno). With the BMW at least you get cool sounds and it is the easiest to remove if you need to work on something.
(#23)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 07-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Is the issue really only engine temperature when you start tuning the engine, increasing boost, etc.? By that I mean if I simply keep an eye on my temperature and it never goes above, let's say 250, I am in the clear? Obviously there's the strain that's put on the engine but clearly there's much more horsepower/torque to be had so the only thing I can think of when Dinan says you must have an oil cooler for Stage 2 is b/c they're worried the engine will run too hot and since I rarely drive "spiritedly" I should be in the clear.
I'm running the jb4 with e85 () on a 08 xi without an oil cooler and haven't noticed any abnormally high oil temperatures even in 95+ degree weather. The temp gets to about ~240 degrees and stays right there even when getting on the throttle. We drove the car from Denver up to an altitude on 12000ft up some pretty steep grades and the highest I saw the temp was 250 degrees.
I dont plan on tracking the car so unless something changes, I'm not planning on paying the $$$ for an oil cooler. Just do 5k-7k mile oil changes to give piece of mind and your good to go.
(#24)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM

Ive run a few intakes on my 335 and the BMS DCI is the best because it mounts properly (others can put undue strain on the rear turbo inlet tube), it's affordable and the newer filters are an upgrade as well (slightly larger at the base and have a lip inside for the tubes).

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|