N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default Short video of my custom exhaust system (Revs + Backfire) - 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM

Hey guys,

My wagon is up and running after a turbo rebuild and am happy to have my car working now in FBO mode. I plan on replacing the Vibrant 1792 (12") resonators with the 1793 (16") to hopefully eliminate more of the low rpm drone.

System includes: AR ***--Magnaflow 11386--Vibrant 1792 (x2)--"Berk Race Rep" Muffler Delete*

*In the last photo, notice the H-Pipe connecting the ***** where the muffler would be.

I am pleased with the way it sounds at idle with the deeper note and at WOT it seems to wail a little more. There is no odd flutter or farting sound that you hear on many deep sounding mufflered N54s. The system is a straight-through since there are only resonators in place.

Hope you enjoy...

Evan

VIDEO!!!! ----->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8iZiJoJOaE

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 06-04-2014 at 09:04 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: '08 BMW 135 M-Sport
Default 06-04-2014, 09:21 AM

I really like that sound.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i sedan
Default 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM

So this is completely ********* and just the magnaflow muffler? It sounds really good. Aggressive but not too loud. how's it sound in cabin when cruising?
(#4)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 06-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Magnaflow muffler and crush-bent aluminized tubing on a 5-Series? Really?
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default 06-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Much too loud for me! But what can I say I am an old guy! To all the haters though, it is YOUR car, do with it what you want. I have the Umnitza dual quad on mine and I like the sound, louder than stock, but what isn't?,and really like the looks. The tips are slightly higher than on an M5 and cut at a nice angle, definitely jot an easy install on the 535xi though!

2008 535xi, 18" Bayern staggered, Continental DW, ER FMIC and charge pipe, Tial BOV, Cobb tune. R1 concepts rotors. Monaco blue and six speed manual. Injen intake. Umnitza dual quad exhaust with mtech rear bumper. Umnitza deck lid spoiler. KW v3 coilovers.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-04-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mike88
So this is completely ********* and just the magnaflow muffler? It sounds really good. Aggressive but not too loud. how's it sound in cabin when cruising?
Thanks, it does sound pretty aggressive for an N54, the systems I heard which were low in tone often had the fluttering sound, presumably from the muffler; some that really wailed at WOT were a little too ricey/raspy for my preference, I think this is a nice compromise.

The Magnaflow is not a muffler but a resonator, an resonated x-pipe to be exact, I was happy to kill 2 birds with one stone as I wanted an x-pipe and I knew it was going to be loud since it is essentially straigh-piped. I attached a picture below (borrowed from rtcat600man from Camaro5.com).

After the resonated x-pipe there are 2 parallel Vibrant resonators. Cabin drone is more than my liking and I hope to improve this by replacing the current Vibrant resonators with longer variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i
Magnaflow muffler and crush-bent aluminized tubing on a 5-Series? Really?
Really guy? Should I blow stupid cash on my car because it is a BMW? I have good taste expensive or not and if I am able to piece together an exhaust system that performs, sounds, and looks great for a fraction of what some pay for a muffler then you better believe I will, I LOVE deals and great values; it means I can spend the money that would otherwise be gone on more car parts like an IC, ***, and oem M5 exterior parts. ...and yes, I install myself to save money.

Get off your high horse, you obviously bought your BMW for the wrong reason.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#7)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Sounds great man!
At what cruising speed is the drone too much? I love the sound of aftermarket exhaust, but I don't want to deal with droning either.
Is it good under 2.5k rpm's or does it drone at lower revs than that?
(#8)
Old

Car: 2013 135i M Sport
Default 06-06-2014, 02:41 AM

I love the backfire with the little flame!
(#9)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Sounds awesome! Looks like i will be chopping up some exhaust bits. Going for the quad setup once the diffuser comes in. I will be posting up some videos when the upgraded turbos are installed.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1328
Sounds great man!
At what cruising speed is the drone too much? I love the sound of aftermarket exhaust, but I don't want to deal with droning either.
Is it good under 2.5k rpm's or does it drone at lower revs than that?
Drone is significant between 2,100-2,400rpm while underload. The easy remedy at this point is to put it in Sport mode as 5th gear takes the rpms up past the droning range while on the highway. If you are going 80 or faster than 6th gear is fine since it is above 2,500rpm. The worst is while accelerating up a hill with the 1-2 shift, not only is the transmission sluggish the shift points ware right around the resonance range.

Next week I should be able to get my longer resonators installed, I am optimistic as they worked wonders when I first installed them but I think some drone will persist. If that is the case then I will need to buckle down and do some freq/heat/distance calculations and install a branch style resonator; they are proven to work extremely well the hard part is getting the calculations right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road
Sounds awesome! Looks like i will be chopping up some exhaust bits. Going for the quad setup once the diffuser comes in. I will be posting up some videos when the upgraded turbos are installed.
Don't you have an E61? If so what are your plans for relocating the air-bag compressor? If you have an E60 then disregard this question.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#11)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

Don't you have an E61? If so what are your plans for relocating the air-bag compressor? If you have an E60 then disregard this question.

Evan
E61 and 335i. I need to look at it right now, still working on getting the bumper / fenders painted and installed. Once that is finished and wheels come in then I am going to look into the rest of the exhaust. My guess is just relocating into the spare wheel well. I have heard people do this.

How did the turbo CHAR replacement go? Did you actually have to take off the whole turbo or were you able to disconnected just the char while keeping the manifold on?

Last edited by Island Road; 06-09-2014 at 04:39 PM..
(#12)
Old

Default 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road
How did the turbo CHAR replacement go? Did you actually have to take off the whole turbo or were you able to disconnected just the char while keeping the manifold on?
The replacement went sort of well, I hit a block with getting the T-Stat and Water Pump off, it is no joke on the E6X Platform. I took my wagon to Tony in Vargas to finish what I couldn't.

The intake housing and and CHRA can be removed while leaving the manifold on. There are some V-bands and C-clips holding it together (once the cooling lines are removed).

I am glad it is done and that I can enjoy my car in FBO mode, it is very frustrating to have spent so much time and money getting the car back to it's undamaged condition but the knowledge gained along the way is very valuable. I am pretty good with DP installation and removal now!

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#13)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 06-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Nice job, well sorted out and it sounds great. Love the flames!

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
(#14)
Old

Default 07-29-2014, 05:03 PM

I dropped my exhaust to inspect the guibo on my output shaft and I snapped a couple pics that better show the configuration of my exhaust system along with the custom H-pipe muffler delete.

Current setup is the same as listed in the OP and I have not had a chance to install my longer vibrant resonators ...soon.

Also here is another video of REVS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1s2ATOT2I

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 07-29-2014, 06:18 PM

Why didn't you use mandrel bent? It's not much more and looks/performs better

2008 Aw/Coral Red Manual 135i Coupe-
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines
(#16)
Old

Default 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinchxvx
Why didn't you use mandrel bent? It's not much more and looks/performs better
....money!

All the quotes I got from local muffler, performance, and racing shops were WAY more than I was looking to spend (thousands of dollars). I am aware that it does not perform as well but the cost-performance ratio (+sound) of this setup is hard to beat in my opinion ...for what I am looking for.

Out of curiosity, what would you be charged locally for a custom ***-back system like this? ...assuming you supplied the tips and resonators? I ask because from what I have seen online coinsides with the quotes I received locally and were about minimum 4x what I paid.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#17)
Old

Default 07-29-2014, 08:12 PM

idk for a full system but I paid 100 bucks for a custom muffler delete on my 135i with all mandrel bent ss but stock tips.

JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines
(#18)
Old

Default 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM

which was made to be similar to berk but it doesn't whistle.

(#19)
Old

Default 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinchxvx
which was made to be similar to berk but it doesn't whistle.
So you have a H-pipe bridge like mine (and Berk)? Got any pics?

$100 is a good price, and when you say mandrel bent do you mean a bunch of pieces welded together (different elbows and such) or is it a continues piece of pipe?

I paid about $165 for my previous muffler delete and I supplied the tips, see below.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#20)
Old

Default 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM

Yeah I do but I can't upload it from my phone. It looks just like that picture you just posted but with stock black tips.

(#21)
Old

Car: 2007 E90 335xi
Default 09-01-2015, 04:51 PM

@ ucsbwsr
Thread revival. I've got just a muffler delete on my E90 N54 with stock ********* and the only thing that bothers me is the weird tinny twang that the exhaust gets in the mid range on WOT. Out of all the different parts you've added, what do you think did the most to clean up that ricey sound?

I don't care about the drone, just that weird sound in the mid range makes the car sound like ****. I've been thinking about adding vibrant 1792s, but still unsure. Maybe an additional xpipe too?

2007 Jet Black E90 335xi /PTF-Cobb/E50/FuelitS2/5" Stepped FMIC/Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe/Black 19x8.5/245s all around/and more
(#22)
Old

Default 09-01-2015, 07:52 PM

I never noticed a twang noise with my exhaust. Can you find a Youtube clip that shows it?

Honestly my current setup (straight piped with the Magnaflow x-pipe) is the best if you don't mind drone or worry about emissions. Gut it, gut it all!

With the vibrants both 12" and 18" they didn't make as much of an impact as I thought they would, this engine is pretty quiet without much silencing. I like my current setup as you get a more unfiltered sound; more mechanical, more real. My exhaust sounded good before with all the resonators, better than most N54 IMO, but it was very soft and smooth sounding and still droned. Considering I only have a resonated x-pipe drone isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

I still have intentions to build a custom single 3" system with a single Vibrant "Ultra Quiet" resonator and would like to have a branch resonator installed from the get-go, no need for drone ever IMO, the trick will be finding a shop that actually knows how to calculate and build the thing.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#23)
Old

Car: 2007 E90 335xi
Default 09-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Twang probably isn't the right word, but higher pitched ricer sound in the mid range.
Here's a video of me, you can kinda here it before the mustang gets loud.
https://youtu.be/1sTHFLCPqgw

2007 Jet Black E90 335xi /PTF-Cobb/E50/FuelitS2/5" Stepped FMIC/Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe/Black 19x8.5/245s all around/and more