N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e90 FBO
Default MSD80 Mosfet upgrade - 09-03-2019, 12:36 AM

Hi,

Who is a reliable source to send out an MSD80 n54 ECU to get the MOSFET chips replaced (before they fail)? Anyone had good success with a particular person who is handy with this (I would rather have someone who has experience on the n54 ECU's rather than taking it to my local TV repair shop guy with the new MOSFETs).

What is the recommended MOSFET's to get upgraded to?

- Faz
(#2)
Old

Car: E36 M3, E90 335i
Default 09-03-2019, 08:51 AM

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...MCT-ND/1566830

Those are the ones I used and they are working well. I had a friend replace the first one and did the rest myself. Its actually not hard at all, you just need a good soldering iron that heats up well. An electronic repair shop can do this no problem.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-03-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...MCT-ND/1566830

Those are the ones I used and they are working well. I had a friend replace the first one and did the rest myself. Its actually not hard at all, you just need a good soldering iron that heats up well. An electronic repair shop can do this no problem.
Awesome... thank you for this info.

Question: I noticed on this site they are recommending a different MOSFET with a 600V rating: 30BA/30BB. Repair of MSD80 | Bimmerprofs.com |

I canít seem to find that 600v one on digikey or mouser? Any suggestions on this improved MOSFET?
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 e92 335i
Default 09-03-2019, 05:12 PM

I used Mouser part # 844-IRF644SPBF, Vishay N-Chan 250V 14 Amp.

No issues so far with 60k miles since repair.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 535xi
Default 09-05-2019, 03:04 PM

Hey Everyone.
I just had a issue with my bmw e60 with Jb4 that was misfiring out of nowhere. Swapped ignition coils on 2&3 after checking the codes saying misfire on cy2 ..nothing. Then I checked the spark plugs and gapping..nothing. rechecked the codes and then the infamous code pops up..30ba. Unable to reset. I thought the jb4 had something to do with it, so I unplugged it completely..again the same heavy misfires. I was efn pissed not sure what the hell it could be. I ultimately went on my go to guide "YOUTUBE" for a indication to find the problem. Seems that I had a bad Mosfet transistor. I ordered all six transistor to avoid future headache. Here is the part#FDB14N30TM
FDB14N30TMCT-ND
MOSFET N-CH 300V 14A D2PAK
Go to digikey.com and a electronic repair shop that can do it. Dont recommend doing it yourself or you'll be out on a dme if soldered incorrectly. I paid $50.00 yesterday. My car is running smooth.

Nubeemer
2008 BMW 535xi
(#6)
Old

Default 09-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBEEMER
Hey Everyone.
I just had a issue with my bmw e60 with Jb4 that was misfiring out of nowhere. Swapped ignition coils on 2&3 after checking the codes saying misfire on cy2 ..nothing. Then I checked the spark plugs and gapping..nothing. rechecked the codes and then the infamous code pops up..30ba. Unable to reset. I thought the jb4 had something to do with it, so I unplugged it completely..again the same heavy misfires. I was efn pissed not sure what the hell it could be. I ultimately went on my go to guide "YOUTUBE" for a indication to find the problem. Seems that I had a bad Mosfet transistor. I ordered all six transistor to avoid future headache. Here is the part#FDB14N30TM
FDB14N30TMCT-ND
MOSFET N-CH 300V 14A D2PAK
Go to digikey.com and a electronic repair shop that can do it. Dont recommend doing it yourself or you'll be out on a dme if soldered incorrectly. I paid $50.00 yesterday. My car is running smooth.
Was this with a BEF or just the stock flash and a piggy back Jb4 only?
(#7)
Old

Default 09-05-2019, 06:44 PM

Yes. I have a backend BEF flash with MHD and piggyback jb4. You can test the mosfet transistors in your DME if you suspect the problem is there.

Nubeemer
2008 BMW 535xi
(#8)
Old

Default 09-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. I have a backend BEF flash with MHD and piggyback jb4. You can test the mosfet transistors in your DME if you suspect the problem is there.
It seems that as long as I donít BEF, I wonít have an issue with the stock MOSFETs? Iím at 186k miles and 12 years old with the original MOSFETs. So if I just stick with the jb4 on map 5 I wonít have an issue with them?
(#9)
Old

Default 09-05-2019, 09:03 PM

You can run the BEF. With the mileage on the car, things may or not go wrong. My car has 133k and when it happened. From what I been reading is that the original mosfet doesnt hold the voltage delivery to the injector time. BMW ef it up on that one. But if it does the symptom that happened to me, go ahead and replace all the mosfet. I'm wondering if the dme msd81 has this issue.

Nubeemer
2008 BMW 535xi
(#10)
Old

Default 09-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
You can run the BEF. With the mileage on the car, things may or not go wrong. My car has 133k and when it happened. From what I been reading is that the original mosfet doesnt hold the voltage delivery to the injector time. BMW ef it up on that one. But if it does the symptom that happened to me, go ahead and replace all the mosfet. I'm wondering if the dme msd81 has this issue.
What I am reading says that msd81 ecu doesnít have any of the issues with MOSFETs. The MOSFET repair on MSD80 is a 50/50 chance of success. If that fails then people just upgrade to msd81 for the real fix