N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#2076)
Old

Car: N55 2012 335i M-Sport Coupe
Default 07-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes it appears on v5.10 stealth was left on 4/1. I'll go through and update the wheel control guide in the first post for N55 ISO specific controls.

**EDIT: Added N55 ISO specific wheel control sheet to the first post. If anyone finds any problems with it let me know.
I noticed one push DTC is on the guide twice. Once on 5/5 and again on 6/4. My car worked on 6/4. The rest worked for me. Thanks for the update.
(#2077)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 07-01-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Yes it appears on v5.10 stealth was left on 4/1. I'll go through and update the wheel control guide in the first post for N55 ISO specific controls.

**EDIT: Added N55 ISO specific wheel control sheet to the first post. If anyone finds any problems with it let me know.
Thanks for taking the time to update that, new jb4 users get mixed up pretty easy and the old guide was off on quite a few settings

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#2078)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335i
Default 07-01-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
Just detonation. Spark plugs all splattered with aluminum. I've considered flashing back to stock but I don't have the 2.51 daten to match my I-level so I'd have to use a 2.55 file and the whole process is just so full of scary German risk. Also, I don't know that I can get PPK back after flashing to 2.55.

Here are my Map5 plugs: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37376
I replaced them, switched to Map1, then examined the plugs after a few weeks and found the same timing drops and plug buildups occurring. Next I removed JB4 and installed N20 plugs which looked perfect after a few thousand miles. Now I have Map1 + PPK + FMIC + N20 plugs + Summer heat and so far the timing looks pretty stable around 4 deg but I don't have enough time on the plugs yet so I haven't checked them.

I asked Terry about the JB4+PPK compatibility and if they had ever done any tuning of that combination and what he told me is that PPK pulls down the entire timing curve and JB4 can only reduce timing further, never advance it beyond DME targets. And while PPK increases boost, ISO ignores the DME target. I don't know how the AFR control works but I assume both JB4 and PPK reduce it. If that's the case, it would seem that PPK would make JB4 weaker and safer. Right?
Been flashing back and forth between PPK and no PPK today. No PPK is for sure more powerful with less timing drops and more boost and more consistent. Seems no one really has done many back to back tests

Last edited by Peen; 07-01-2016 at 07:03 PM..
(#2079)
Old

Default 07-01-2016, 07:23 PM

The ppk/no ppk comparison is interesting.

I have a 2013 135is that comes stock with the ppk. Things Ive noticed after each stage of modding are that the jb4 iso and the ppk work well together and run high boost easily. However, this combo really only allows about an e35 mix before it throws "partial throttle too lean" codes. Adjusting FOL does not help. Full boost everything is fine.

In terms of you switching back and forth between the ppk flash, my car takes a solid 100 miles (on top of the 3rd gear WOT runs for the jb4) for the DME to adjust to any major changes I make to the tune (changing boost, using a different E blend, meth nozzle etc.). This may be something inherent with the ppk flash, not sure.

2013 135is 6mt - FBO - Pure stg2 - 90/10 meth - Fuel-It stg2
(#2080)
Old

Car: 2011 335i M-Sport
Default ISO 5_11 - 07-02-2016, 05:21 PM

Is ISO 5_11 a new update? I have 5_10. What is the difference?
(#2081)
Old

Car: 335i 2D
Default ISO 5_11 menu 11 problem - 07-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Hi Terry, Currently running ISO 5_11 on my 2011 BMW 335i and I found menu 11 won't hold the volume that I input. I tired to set it to 5 but every time I across menu 11 from menu 10 or from menu 12, the setting will drop and after few times that will drop to 0. For sure there is a bug on menu 11 setting.
(#2082)
Old

Car: 2011 e90 space gray 335i
Default 07-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P
The ppk/no ppk comparison is interesting.

I have a 2013 135is that comes stock with the ppk. Things Ive noticed after each stage of modding are that the jb4 iso and the ppk work well together and run high boost easily. However, this combo really only allows about an e35 mix before it throws "partial throttle too lean" codes. Adjusting FOL does not help. Full boost everything is fine.

In terms of you switching back and forth between the ppk flash, my car takes a solid 100 miles (on top of the 3rd gear WOT runs for the jb4) for the DME to adjust to any major changes I make to the tune (changing boost, using a different E blend, meth nozzle etc.). This may be something inherent with the ppk flash, not sure.
I have a 2011 e90 with ppk flash and I can run e40 without any codes.
(#2083)
Old

Car: 2013 135is
Default 07-04-2016, 06:08 PM

I have a problem with steering wheel control. The numbers are not the right spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTlLtg8Br0
(#2084)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-04-2016, 06:25 PM

See JB4 FAQ for setting dash mode.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2085)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 07-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Interesting threads about ppk and jb4.

I run both and have no codes.
Sometimes slight hesitation or jerkiness (hot days for example)

When I submitted my logs for MAP 1, both Terry and Steve noticed it was ok, but timing adjustments slightly off if I remember...
Point being that it would benefit from Ethanol mix and moving the FOL to 70 or so.

Is that related?
(#2086)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-05-2016, 01:36 PM

I'm not convinced the "PPK flash" you guys are loading makes much difference either way.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2087)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 07-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Terry,
thanks - good to know.

At the end of the day, codes for me will indicate issues, and maybe issues others are experiencing via those codes would manifest themselves anyway, PPK or not.
(#2088)
Old

Car: 335i 2D
Default 07-05-2016, 06:21 PM

Hi Terry, Currently running ISO 5_11 on my 2011 BMW 335i and I found menu 11 won't hold the volume that I input. I tried to set it to 5 but every time I across menu 11 from menu 10 or from menu 12, the setting will drop and after few times that will drop to 0. For sure there is a bug on menu 11 setting.

Anyone having the some problem as I do regarding to menu 11 or just me?

Last edited by Kevin Wei; 07-10-2016 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: additional question
(#2089)
Old

Default 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM

Terry,

Is there any way to add fuel during crank?

If I run anything more then E50, I get a hard start. Even in San Diego when the mornings are 70 degrees.

I was reading in this thread of a fix, but it's with the N54 and PI

http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...85-cold-starts
(#2090)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM

There is a FutureUseA = 52 option in v5.11 that attempts to add fuel during cranking and low idle. Worth a test.

There is an unrelated side effect with the FUA setting that we'll have to fix in v5.12 if the setting works for cranking fuel.

Burger Motorsports

(#2091)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

Terry, am I right in thinking that a few years ago you had a JB4 FW capable of measuring DCT pressue? I'm sure I remember reading something a while back where you were testing via this method.

If so, would it be possible to get a copy? Given the N55 E progress and that we have the option to use different TCU flashes it would be great to have this.

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s | KW3 Coilovers
(#2092)
Old

Default 07-07-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
There is a FutureUseA = 52 option in v5.11 that attempts to add fuel during cranking and low idle. Worth a test.

There is an unrelated side effect with the FUA setting that we'll have to fix in v5.12 if the setting works for cranking fuel.
I updated to 5.11 and in the mobile app, under FutureUseA put a 52 and then saved. Is this correct? I did this, and started it to move the car...it was already warm so it started ok.

This AM though, it started and revved really high and kind of bounced RPM's a bit.

It did start much differently. I'll try again tomorrow AM and take a video.
(#2093)
Old

Car: e91 335ix
Default 07-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Hi guys

I am new in this forum.
Im getting my jb4 tomorrow and hope i can install it asap.
What type of firmware is on it?
I have a pedal box installed. Are they any conflicts with the jb4 throtle respond?

Sorry for my bad english. I am from switzerland

Thanks in advance
(#2094)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2016, 03:26 PM

Those pedal boxes are a waste of money but won't conflict with the tuning.

Burger Motorsports

(#2095)
Old

Car: 335Xi
Default 07-08-2016, 07:15 PM

Hello all.

I just purchased a used 2011 335ix that came with a JB4 installed, ********* DP and a Cobb chargepipe.

I hooked up a laptop to the USB port and I see what I believe is non ISO firmware.

Is there any way to tell if the diode has been cut (or needs to be cut) w/o opening the cover and getting to the JB4?

What would happen if I upgrade to the latest ISO firmware but the diode has not been cut?

Thanks.
(#2096)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport
Default 07-09-2016, 12:26 AM

Is the firmware version listed as 8/17/12//1? I think that's the last non ISO firmware version. You cannot drive the car with the ISO firmware without the diode cut. It will drive like crap. It has to be done at the same time you upgrade to ISO, before starting the car.
(#2097)
Old

Car: 335Xi
Default 07-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Thanks!

That is what I wanted to know.

Time to remove some covers....
(#2098)
Old

Car: 135i (N55)
Default 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze
Any word on the lack of SES light with ********* DP's with 5.10 firmware? Is it set to auto clear by default? I just installed my ********* DP and would like to be able to see other codes pop up if they do without enabling auto clear function.
Lets try this again... Looks like someone deleted my previous response to you.

The JB4 ISO firmware will not allow your emissions equipment to ready up. That is probably why there is a rumor that you can no longer fully bypass the JB4 with ISO. It doesn't matter what map you put the JB4 to, the car will not ready up. COBB works this way too. It is basically like a built in DP fix. However, the major drawback to coding the JB4 this way is that you can't simply flash back to stock like with the COBB AP. You have to fully remove the JB4! It also means that you will not be able to ever get any emissions related engine codes, like o2 sensor, without fully removing the JB4.

Disabling code clearing has no effect.

Here is the thread where I have been posting the other bugs I have with the latest firmware: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40880

Last edited by bNks334; 07-14-2016 at 11:14 AM..
(#2099)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 07-12-2016, 10:57 PM

@ Terry

Quote:

Just noticed 1/3 and 1/4 are blank on the new guide - has the option to toggle 'auto code clear' been removed?

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s | KW3 Coilovers
(#2100)
Old

Car: 135i (N55)
Default 07-14-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyap
@ Terry

Just noticed 1/3 and 1/4 are blank on the new guide - has the option to toggle 'auto code clear' been removed?
It still toggles using those wheel controls. Why Terry didn't fix those lines when he supposedly updated the N55 wheel control guide the other day is beyond me...

BMS could probably cut the amount of time they have to invest in answering questions on the forums in half if they just updated the/wrote up better user guides.