N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default HPFP Replaced But Still Getting Dips And Misfire - 05-17-2020, 07:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been having HPFP problems for about 6 months and it is getting more frequent. It initially started happening when i was running E85 BEF e60 on map 7, i got a 29dc code and figured i was just maxing out the HPFP.

I fitted port injection with the BMS controller about a month ago, hoping the additional port injection fuel, will take the strain off the HPFP. However it didn't. If i was beating on the car for a few minutes the car would miss or throw the 29DC.

I thought i would just bite the bullet and fit a new HPFP, so a genuine one was fitted and it has made zero difference.

If i back off quickly enough when it miss's i can avoid the 29DC code, but if i keep my foot in to it, or don't notice the power drop quick enough, the code will come up. Its always 29dc (cylinder injector shut off).

I have tried a few different flashes on the car and doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have noticed that my HPFP will show about 4 or 5 on the JB4 logs when i am just cruising along. When i start to roll the power on it will go up to 13-14. I have also noticed that when cruising, the HPFP will randomly drop to 2, and if it has a drop moment while on the power the logs show 6 it would drop to 4 before the pi install.

I have managed to catch this in a few logs, so i will attach them below. Strangely it has never done it on a full 3rd gear proper log.

If someone has any ideas that would be great.
Also is it normal for a HPFP to be at 4 or 5 when cruising along?
Is there anything else that controls the HPFP?
Can the EKPM affect the HPFP, even if the LPFP stays strong?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200517_200958_runs(1).csv (129.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: csv hpfp crash.csv (44.1 KB, 60 views)

2007 BMW E92 335I 6AT, 17T Hybrid Twins, 3" VRSF Down, 7.5" Stepped FMIC, JB4 ISO 32_15 Firmware, E85 BEF, XHP Stage 3 V3, Port Injection 500cc Injectors, BMS PI Controller, Stage 3 LPFP, OCC, Milltek Exhaust, DCI, Index 12 Injectors, 2 Step Colder NGK Plugs 0.018" gap, Charge Pipe, Silicon Vac Lines, Eldor coils.
(#2)
Old
Brendan

Car: 335i 2007 6spdman
Default 05-18-2020, 12:41 AM

Cruising hpfp is normal 500psi.

Ill look at your logs on a pc and see If I can find anything. Random hpfp drops are strange.
(#3)
Old
Brendan

Default 05-18-2020, 01:54 AM

The 6th gear cruising log is a difficult one for me.
Timing dropping 20 degrees while cruising is obviously not right.
I couldnt see a reason why it was doing it.

It might be an ignition problem not a hpfp problem.
(#4)
Old
Brendan

Default 05-18-2020, 02:15 AM

The other log looks like when port injection turns on its gets rich your trims change low and you get the same ignition cut.

I dont think theres anything wrong with the hpfp.
Ekp module is probably throwing that code cause the walbro 450 pulls alot of amps.
That may affect the ecu pulling alot of timing.

I havent come accross the issue but it seems like software reacting due to the lpfp ekp module.

Try email some known n54 tuners.
Ones that have been around for 5 years not facebook tunas.
(#5)
Old
Brendan

Default 05-18-2020, 02:17 AM

If you want an ekp3 to test Ill send it to you tomorrow.
Give it back or buy me one later. Just pm me.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-18-2020, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the reply Brendan, really really appreciate it.

I actually ordered a EKP on ebay that i wasnt expecting until later in the week, however it actually turned up about an hour after i made this post.

I'd read some people fit the ekpm3's and dont have to code it, so i thought id give that a go on mine. Car fired straight up and held 74psi lpfp for the first time ever, i have never seen it so stable or that high, 72 is the highest i had seen before and it never really holds it. I let it idle for a few mins and it switched between 74 and 75psi a couple of times. Thought id take it for a gentle drive, it held 74 like a rock, i was thinking maybe the EKPM was on its way out, as normally my lpfp fluctuates a fair bit. The LPFP is a brand new walbro 450 btw.

Took it for a 15 min drive and came on to boost a couple of times, LPFP would dip in the 68-69 area for a split second as the pi was kicking in, then back up to 73/74. Got back home turned the car off and got ready to go on a decent drive. Started it back up and could hear a funny noise. Concerned, i turned the car off, opened the door and started it again, a few seconds go by and i can hear something wining from the back, it's the fuel pump, sounded like a high pitch squeal. I let it run for as i thought maybe its what it does at that higher psi range and i just didnt notice it before. Then after about 30 seconds i start loosing lpfp. As it hits 30psi i shut the car off.

I thought maybe it's due to not resetting adaptations. Tried that, did the same thing, runs for a few seconds then starts loosing pressure. Refitted the old ekpm and it was back to normal, holding 60-67psi at idle.

So figured it might be due to not coding the module. So i coded the ekpm3 with NCS expert and now it responds just like my old EKPM2. This is the most i have watched LPFP at idle, the new ekpm3 will appear to try and hold 66psi, it will float up to 67/68 then suddenly dip to 56-58psi for a split second and back up to 66 and repeat every 30-45 seconds.

I am a bit nervous to venture too fair in the car at the moment. But does the above lpfp behaviour seem normal? I thought LPFP should be more stable. But mine has always fluctuated when not under load.

Regarding your EKPM3, are you in Australia by any chance? After this one acting strange, i wouldn't mind trying one that i know is definitely fine.

2007 BMW E92 335I 6AT, 17T Hybrid Twins, 3" VRSF Down, 7.5" Stepped FMIC, JB4 ISO 32_15 Firmware, E85 BEF, XHP Stage 3 V3, Port Injection 500cc Injectors, BMS PI Controller, Stage 3 LPFP, OCC, Milltek Exhaust, DCI, Index 12 Injectors, 2 Step Colder NGK Plugs 0.018" gap, Charge Pipe, Silicon Vac Lines, Eldor coils.
(#7)
Old
Brendan

Default 05-18-2020, 01:27 PM

lpfp pressure should be stable.
I have never plugged the ekp3 module in. I bought after trouble earthing out while playing with the ecu.

I get 29dc codes also since putting a ti274 pump in (Walbro 450 with 100 psi check valve) I do not get any issues though. It pops up on some wot runs which makes me think is an amp draw limit which triggers that code.

Im in Darwin and can send it to you but It has not been tested.
(#8)
Old
Brendan

Default 05-18-2020, 01:46 PM

If you have changed ekp and still get similar results I would be checking sll fuel lines for debri.
The passenger side filter was pretty disgusting on mine.
(#9)
Old

Default 05-19-2020, 04:50 PM

Hi Brendan,

Just wanted to say thank again for the replies. Really appreciate it.

Its been raining solid here the last 2 days, so i cant really load the car up. However i took the car for a short gentle drive and once moving the fuel pressure did stabilise a little with the ekpm3 module.

I will update with some logs, once the roads dry out a bit and i can take it on a proper drive.

I have been doing as much reading as possible and it seems a lot of people get varying idle psi numbers on the lpfp side. Alot claim it should be 72psi, and i have found a few in the low 60s with stage 2 lpfp and ekpm3. But it is hard to know what is right.

I thought i would add to the mix, i do have a brand new well about 2000klm old in tank fuel filter and fuel reg.

(#10)
Old
Brendan

Default 05-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Lpfp should be 72psi and stable.
After different fuel pumps and lines the ekp does not keep everyones the same.
It doesnt really matter until it drops around 50 psi anyway.

Im not sure why your getting 29dc and the cut off of ignition when you have plenty of fuel. The hpfp dropping radomly seems like electrical if theres no blockage anywhere. Coil earth, hpfp cable?

These times really make you pull some hairs.

Hopefully a tuner can read your logs or know from experience what could be shutting your hpfp down like that.
(#11)
Old

Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 05-22-2020, 06:29 PM

One of our buddies has a 335i coupe with upgrades and FBO
hes been havin the same issue as you

Our garage has tried everything(i mean everything in general)
New HPFP ekpm3
Furl pump, filer, the whole nine yards

The car has been living between auto garages for the past year trying to solve this issue

The owner is thinking of LS swapping it since he cant get to the bottom of the issue
I hope you solve it so i can relay what might be the cause to him

Thx

2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 6266
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. JB$ MHD BACKEND FLASH, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...