N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
ferocious's Avatar
ferocious ferocious is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: 335i N54 2008
Default Helix HPFP overdrive add-on - 02-16-2020, 03:31 AM

hi guys,

Im running a single turbo setup on my N54, and using the MPI methanol port injection.

Im thinking about ditching the Meth PI, and going for the Helix HPFP.
( Spool Performance Helix HPFP overdrive system )
but my question is, since i do a mix of cruising and street pulls and occasional highway racing, how high can i go with the BOOST and still obtain decent timing (5~7 degrees) on 93 pump gas with the Helix HPFP until i reach the point that i have to mix my 93 with race gas for higher octane.

thanks
joe



2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 6266
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. JB$ MHD BACKEND FLASH, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Payam @ BMS's Avatar
Payam @ BMS Payam @ BMS is offline
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6,167
Join Date: Oct 2013
Car: e90 335i
Default 02-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Probably 17-19psi at most, maybe a bit more cause your turbo is smaller than others.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
v8bait's Avatar
v8bait v8bait is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 426
Join Date: Oct 2011
Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 02-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Ditching meth for the helix on pump or race gas makes no sense whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
ferocious's Avatar
ferocious ferocious is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 02-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Probably 17-19psi at most, maybe a bit more cause your turbo is smaller than others.
I mean how high in boost can i go with the Helix overdrive and meth in charge pipe,

Since the Helix can make the stock injectors deliver enough fuel


Thx payam



2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 6266
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. JB$ MHD BACKEND FLASH, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
WoahAngelo WoahAngelo is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 38
Join Date: Jan 2019
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-17-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious
I mean how high in boost can i go with the Helix overdrive and meth in charge pipe,

Since the Helix can make the stock injectors deliver enough fuel


Thx payam
The purpose of overdriving the HPFP is to be able to make up for the flow requirements of the fuel system when ethanol is introduced into the system. This is because the AKI/RON/MON of ethanol is higher than gasoline but the BTU (how much work it actually does) is lower. So you have to inject more fuel to do the same amount of work with ethanol mixes vs pump gas alone. Staying with 93 pump gas on an overdriven HPFP will yield you little to no gains. It doesn't matter how much 93 pump gas you dump into the cylinder, the effective AKI/RON/MON will still be 93.

So, like V8Bait mentioned, ditching port meth injection for a HPFP overdrive system makes no sense whatsoever.

18psi is where I typically start seeing corrections on 94.

You already have the port methanol injection, get it set up nicely and reap the benefits.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
ferocious's Avatar
ferocious ferocious is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 02-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoahAngelo
The purpose of overdriving the HPFP is to be able to make up for the flow requirements of the fuel system when ethanol is introduced into the system. This is because the AKI/RON/MON of ethanol is higher than gasoline but the BTU (how much work it actually does) is lower. So you have to inject more fuel to do the same amount of work with ethanol mixes vs pump gas alone. Staying with 93 pump gas on an overdriven HPFP will yield you little to no gains. It doesn't matter how much 93 pump gas you dump into the cylinder, the effective AKI/RON/MON will still be 93.

So, like V8Bait mentioned, ditching port meth injection for a HPFP overdrive system makes no sense whatsoever.

18psi is where I typically start seeing corrections on 94.

You already have the port methanol injection, get it set up nicely and reap the benefits.

Thats the complete and clear reply i was looking for,

Thanks alot, much appreciated..

My setup at the moment is from the meth hose to the PI (MMP with 1050cc injectors) then from the second port under the PI just beside the feed line, goes to the solenoid and nozzle, i made it this way after alot of trial and error as the PI always catches air bubbles and meth retracts back, so now when i prime and IATs dive that means the PI is full and ready and the rest is going to the nozzle


Im on fuel bias: 30 running 25 psi and trims are between 15 and 20

On terry’s ST OTS flash with timing reaching 5~7


Im going to increase boost this weekend and bump up the fuel bias abit after checking logs

Since i just built my engine with CP pistons and PPF Rods

Let me know what you think I'm open to suggestions

Thx again



2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 6266
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. JB$ MHD BACKEND FLASH, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
ferocious's Avatar
ferocious ferocious is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 02-18-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bait
Ditching meth for the helix on pump or race gas makes no sense whatsoever.
now i get your point.

many thanks
joe



2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 6266
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. JB$ MHD BACKEND FLASH, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com