N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 135i
Default My '08 6AT -> 6MT Swap Thread - 10-11-2015, 01:03 PM

I'm finally starting the process of swapping my failed Level 10 6AT with a 6MT. I'll be as transparent/open with this as I was with my Level 10 thread (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29986).

The wiring diagram can be found here (courtesy of ncat).

-->Wiring Diagram<--

10/10/15 - Today we went down to Georgia to pick up all of the core parts for the swap.

The parts I got from the shop owner:
1 x 6MT transmission
1 x Master Cylinder
1 x Driveshaft
1 x Diff (I'll be keeping my 3.46 diff for now though)
1 x Slave cylinder
1 x Shift arm assembly
1 x Pedal assembly
1 x Various lines
2 x Rear axles (Not required, but I wanted an extra set to send to DSS)

Payam helped me figure out a good clutch/SMFW setup which should be here Wednesday. Clutch is a Spec Stage 3+ with a steel SMFW.

I'll also be using the Short Throw Shifter, Clutch Stop, Shift Rod, and 2-Step/NLS Relay offered by BMS.

The only thing I need to find is a shift boot and knob. I'll be checking with my local BMW dealership on Monday to see if they have any in-stock.

Hopefully this will be everything needed to do the swap.

10/12/15 - Talked to the shop today and I'm scheduled for next Monday.

Ended up needing to order flywheel bolts, but that should be it. I'll also be doing the CDV delete.

10/13/15 - So the mailman had all kinds of goodies today.

Clutch, flywheel, short throw kit, billet shift rod, and clutch stop all arrived. Huge shoutout to the BMS guys and Payam for helping me get all this going so quickly!

The stock 1M knob and boot combo looks really nice so I decided to go with that. Link to knob

As far as fluid, I think I'm going to go with Jake's suggestion and use MT-90.

10/19/15 - The car is finally at Motorsports of Lexington! The guys at the shop will be taking pics and giving a brief overview so everyone can understand what this swap entails.

The guy working on my car is a beast! Went to check on things around lunchtime and the trans was out, pedal assembly was out, they found my minor exhaust leak, and they had started running the wiring. While I was there I watched them do the coding with the Autologic. He removed $205 from a few modules, did some other Autologic magic, then presto no more fault codes with the auto trans disconnected. I'm REALLY surprised it was that easy to knock the coding part out with the Autologic.

If it weren't for minor holdups, the car probably would have been ready the same day I dropped it off. Unfortunately, we were short 2 flywheel bolts which were expected to be in Tuesday.

10/20/15 - Apparently the driveshaft that I bought was botched where it connects to the diff (someone tried to remove it without the correct tools) so I had to order another one of those. There was a small problem with the clutch being the wrong part number, but Payam is having one overnighted to me to address that. So hopefully Wednesday or Thursday I'll be driving the car.

10/21/15 - Car is complete minus the driveshaft being installed. I found out earlier today that the support bracket on the transmission was broken and the bracket off of the 6AT isn't compatible. BMW showed the part as backordered so I had to go looking for myself. After a bunch of phone calls and dead ends, the shop called back and luckily they were able to find one to be overnighted.

Note: Definitely do a complete inventory check and inspect ALL parts when you purchase them to make sure you don't end up needing something mid-install.

10/22/15 - I am now the proud owner of a single turbo 6 speed 135i.

My driveshaft came in today so after I took that to the shop, the car was complete within minutes.

I'm still in the 500 mile break-in period for the clutch, but as soon as that's done I'll get some videos/logs to compare with my AT videos/logs. I figure a side by side comparison of a 40-130 pull should be a decent comparison to start with.

Now for the cost:

After everything was said and done it looks like it was ~$5800. That price includes ALL parts (some with last minute overnight shipping) and the labor.

10/26/15 - So I've been driving the car a bit now and one thing I really want to do soon is put the 3.08 rear end in. On the interstate at 80mph I'm at almost 3200 rpms which hurts the mpgs a bit and doesn't make that comfortable of a cruising sound. I'll probably have my 3.46 pumpkin with the MFactory LSD for sale soon.

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com

Last edited by Dmac @ BMS/DMD; 02-12-2016 at 04:26 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335 E92
Default 10-11-2015, 02:24 PM

No one can say you give up easily. Good luck with the build!

JB4 G5 w/BMS MHD backend flash | MOTIV 750 | 100% E85 | MOTIV port injection | Fuel-It Stage 3+ LPFP | Akrapovic Exhaust | DSS Axles | DEFIV lockdown kit | Quaife LSD
(#3)
Old

Car: 135
Default 10-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Please do a DIY documentation, I might be doing this as well if my trans doesn't play well.

2016 Mustang GTPP Whipple! 650rwhp, easy..

08 135i-sold!!
DCI
JB4 Iso5
Dp
VVT stage1
Berk cb
7" intercooler
Chargepipe
Wavetrac

Thor 12.9 mega motor installed!
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 10-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Dmacpro , you suffered a lot from level10, let's hope for the best for this swap process. I hope you'll be very pleased with your MT. GOOD LUCK bro !

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Ps2 turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3

Do more with less !

Last edited by cebrailbakan; 10-11-2015 at 03:25 PM..
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Subscribed.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 10-11-2015, 06:02 PM

Sub'd. I'll be following in your foot steps. Sorry you had to take a hit, but in glad I waited on that level 10 mess.

10'135i Alpine White M-Sport M/T 827HP 707TQ@32lbs
Motiv 900 - Tial BOV/Wastegate - Big Tom Intercooler - FuelIt! Stage 3+ - MHD Custom Flash - Haltech PS1000 - Motiv Port Injection/Twin Disc - BMS OCC - Kosei - 275/40/17 NT05R's
10'135i Black A/T - 580WHP 540WTQ (11.51@134MPH 2.1 60')
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Goodluck brother!! This is the best way to go now when wanting to go faster with more power. NLS and antilag has changed the game for MT.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old
Legend

Default 10-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys! As much as the Level 10 stuff sucks, at least I hopefully saved other people from a big headache. Honestly the swap itself doesn't seem too terrible, but then again, I'm not the one doing it. I also didn't realize how much smaller the manual was compared to the AT. The shop doing the swap (both hardware and DME reprogramming) was saying I should be able to get it all done for $1500-$1700 and it should take 1-2 days to complete. I'll be swinging by tomorrow to show them everything I have and to see if anything else will need to be ordered. I'll also be scheduling the swap which I'm hoping to start on Thursday.

At this point the MT is the ONLY proven solution and hopefully after this thread, others will feel comfortable having the swap done as well.

Level 10, if anyone from your company is reading this then feel free to buy back the AT from me, prove it was a "custom flash" issue, then turn around and resell it to get all your money back.

VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com
(#9)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 10-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Good luck with it Donnie! Definitely a more solid setup thats proven and more fun to drive IMO.

btw got a sport shift knob with alcantara shift boot if interested

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#10)
Old
Legend

Default 10-11-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah
Good luck with it Donnie! Definitely a more solid setup thats proven and more fun to drive IMO.

btw got a sport shift knob with alcantara shift boot if interested
Pm'd.

(#11)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 10-11-2015, 10:55 PM

Subscribed. Quick question, were you running BB with your lvl10 transmission or MHD?
(#12)
Old

Car: 335XI
Default 10-11-2015, 11:11 PM

I always wanted a manual, I really wanna do a swap
(#13)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 10-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Turner MS carries a nice M ZHP shift knob. That's what I ran on mine.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...FZQdgQoduJAAqA

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-12-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
Subscribed. Quick question, were you running BB with your lvl10 transmission or MHD?
He ran both. MHD helped the issue at first, then turning it up again would do the same thing.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old
Legend

Default 10-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
He ran both. MHD helped the issue at first, then turning it up again would do the same thing.
MHD (with the appropriate tuning) was used exclusively with the Level 10 "upgrade". I switched to MHD while I was still on my stock trans. That alone cleared up the slow shifts on the stock unit for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98
Turner MS carries a nice M ZHP shift knob. That's what I ran on mine.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...FZQdgQoduJAAqA
Ordered the slightly taller one today. Thanks though.

(#16)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 10-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Can't wait to see this finish up Donnie, so you can finally crank up the power in your car and enjoy it.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#17)
Old
Legend

Default 10-13-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
Can't wait to see this finish up Donnie, so you can finally crank up the power in your car and enjoy it.
Thanks dude. One of my buddies took me for some manual driving lessons today and it was a blast. Didn't realize driving a MT was so much fun. Maybe I won't want to upgrade to the 4L80E after all.

First post updated.

(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-13-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac @ BMS/DMD
Thanks dude. One of my buddies took me for some manual driving lessons today and it was a blast. Didn't realize driving a MT was so much fun. Maybe I won't want to upgrade to the 4L80E after all.

First post updated.
Just wait till you get it on your car. It's a whole different animal when you have power behind it.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 10-13-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
Just wait till you get it on your car. It's a whole different animal when you have power behind it.
Yeap so much fun with the full power behind...

Can t wait to see the end product. And a price list. Thx Donnie to lead the way on this..

Mine AT still strong I will dyno this sat I think and hope to see 800-850+ at 36psi.. Let see. Only upgrade to my AT is TC, VB and in series oil cooler.

Subscribed for updates..
(#20)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 10-13-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac @ BMS/DMD

First post updated.
I keep seeing mention of the 4l80, why not 6l80e?
(#21)
Old

Car: 335XI
Default 10-14-2015, 12:43 AM

I really want to do this but Im scared to know how much it will be all said and done
(#22)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 10-14-2015, 07:31 PM

Dyno , but have you tried the AT on the streets or quarter mile?
(#23)
Old

Car: e92 2007 335i
Default 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM

I have all the parts necessary to do this swap if if anyone is interested. Located in SanDiego,CA
(#24)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 10-19-2015, 05:47 PM

Wonder how much lighter that trans is. 100 lbs drop in weight? More?

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#25)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 10-19-2015, 05:53 PM

Subbed.