N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default e60 vs e90 bolt ons - 03-17-2015, 09:07 AM

I have a 2010 535 and as you can imagine, there is not a large modding community like there is for the E9x's. My local FB groups have E9x n54 stuff up for sale all day everyday. So what can I buy from the guys parting out E9X n54's that will fit my e60 n54.
Can anyone pipe in on the differences?

Same:
JB4 (already installed)
BMS DCI (already installed)
Blow Off Valves
Meth Kits

Different:
Charge pipe (some MFG's require you to specify chassis, some dont??)
Down *****/any exhaust
FMIC (some say it will work with both??)

Right now Im have JB4, DCI. Next is charge pipe/BOV.... then maybe one day DP. Will probably stop there.
(#2)
Old

Default 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM

There are companies that portray DP's as applicable for either E90/E60. The delta is in the install; whereby the install time/cost/difficulty E60 is immensely more than the E90. Its due to the how the DP's sit in the E60, which affects the accessibility.

The design of the factory DP's contribute to the Wastegate issues. So, pending on what your setup will be, should determine either you cost/time(DIY), should you decide to.
(#3)
Old

Default 08-13-2015, 03:37 AM

I plan to pull the trigger on a charge pipe soon, so I figured I would bump this. Any E60 owners with charge *****? What brand did you go with? Did you have to specify chassis?
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 08-13-2015, 07:16 AM

For ER..I had to specify e60...they sent me an e90 specific by accident and did not fit...

08 535Xi - jb4 iso w/mhd flash, Bms dci, AR ********* DP, er cp with forge dv, second *** delete, muffler delete, xhp trans flash, ets fmic, bms oil tstat bypass.
(#5)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM

For what it's worth, I was able to fit my AA Charge pipe on my E60 from my E90, but barely. Had to move the PS reservoir a bit to get it to fit.

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2002m3
I have a 2010 535 and as you can imagine, there is not a large modding community like there is for the E9x's. My local FB groups have E9x n54 stuff up for sale all day everyday. So what can I buy from the guys parting out E9X n54's that will fit my e60 n54.
Can anyone pipe in on the differences?

Same:
JB4 (already installed)
BMS DCI (already installed)
Blow Off Valves
Meth Kits

Different:
Charge pipe (some MFG's require you to specify chassis, some dont??)
Down *****/any exhaust
FMIC (some say it will work with both??)

Right now Im have JB4, DCI. Next is charge pipe/BOV.... then maybe one day DP. Will probably stop there.
This is from my personal install with our E61 535xi.

What we have found to work listed below.
Charge Pipe - VRSF with Tial Bov
Inlets - VTT
Intake - BMS or AFE Stg2
Down-*****- With an XI only AR will work for you. No E9x Down-***** will work. VRSF also for non XI.
Intercooler - VRSF stepped or 7" both work. Note that some extra piping might be needed for different bends.
Exhaust - Nothing that I know of. We are going custom.
(#7)
Old

Car: BMW 535i
Default 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM

I went with the ER charge pipe and ER FMIC from N54 tuning. They are both black powder coated and fit perfectly.

http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...&productId=119

2010 535i xdrive M Sport , JB4 G5 ISO / BMS pump Flash / xHP stg. 3 TCU flash / BMS DCI /ER charge pipe ,ER FMIC / RB PCV valve/, 30% E85
(#8)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Intakes/filters, BOV's, JB4, Cobb tune, and some charge ***** fit both e90 and e60.

E60 specific parts:
Dwon ***** (non-XI options are VRSF, Dr Euro, AR)
FMIC (VRSF has an e90 intercooler that has proven to fit all E6X, made for e90 but there's several successful installs with pics on this site and other 5-series sites of how to install on an E6X)
Catback (not sure on brands currently)
Turbos (E6X and 1-series share the same housing/clocking, which is different than E9X's)

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#9)
Old

Car: 08 535ix
Default 08-14-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm fbo+ on a e60 take a look at my sig for what I'm using

'08 535xi 6m, ACT 6 Puck Race Clutch / AR Design DP's / AFE Twin Power DCI / VTT Inlets / VRSF CP / TIAL BOV / Big Tom style IC / Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP / NGK 5992's @.022 / N20 T-Map / MHD Flash....100% e85 @24psi on stock snails!
(#10)
Old

Default 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM

Thanks a ton guys, I am going to go with a VRSF CP and HKS BOV. I know the BOV is going to be kinda pungent, but I plan to ...tune the sound (im a mech engineer with a full fab shop at my disposal)

I emailed all the big names and this is what I got. I want to thank everyone for replying to my inquiry.

VSFR: The N54 chargepipes with bovs are interchangable, the OEM DV option is not interchangeable.

ER: The E90 and E60 are different charge *****. They are not interchangeable. Here are pictures of both and you will see they are different. (PIC) As you can see, they are physically different. The E92 and E60 have different OEM part #s so even the factory charge pipe is different. The lengths are also different. This is due to the fact that the factory intercooler is also different (different OEM part #) and are also physically different. The E60 has a power steering reservoir by the charge pipe whereas the E92 does not. While I have heard guys making it work, all feedback was they need to move that power steering reservoir and modify some parts on the car. They also had to get additional silicone couplers to make work.

We highly recommend if you have a E60 to purchase the correct pipe. It really isn't worth rigging a E92 pipe up when the E60 ***** are available.

BMS: The chargepipe is 535 compatible with a few changes but it is a tight fit. The main difference is that the diverter valve hose length will need to be altered and the power steering reservoir clearance is tight but it does work. But because of these issues, we do not advertise that the part is compatible with the 5-series because it does require some customizing to fit.

Stett: Thank you for contacting us! Well that is true and not true. : ) Technically from one end of the pipe to the other it is the same. The difference is with the valve placement on the diverter valves and bov because of the E60’s power steering reservoir being different over the 135i/335i. You can move the reservoir around if you want and make some room to utilize the 135i/335i pipe OR I have an E60 version you could use : )

Cobb: They are interchangeable.

CP-E:They are interchangeable. The "e90" charge pipe was just test fitted on an e60 and it fit. No need for technical terms here! Fitment is a little tighter but shouldn't be a problem.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2010 535i
Default 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM

You can also include the ECS Tuning Chargepipe/HKS Style BOV combo, which is also marketed as a N54 all model compatible and wasn't specifically designed for the E60 535i. The VRSF with HKS style flange was on backorder, so I went with this, and am happy with it, especially for the price, $329 total. The chargepipe is of good build quality. It is a tight fit in the E60, and you will have to unbolt and do some playing with the power steering lines and reservoir to get it seated properly on the throttle body, but it fits with everything in stock location. The boxed version I got had two couplers... one appears to be the old design and one the new. Kudos on the change, as the new design is much better and pretty much eliminates the possibility that it could pop off the inlet!

My only gripe is that it would be difficult is to tap and use the included meth bungs without relocating the ps reservoir on the E60 (wish they'd put them on top inline with the flange similar to the single on the VRSF). Note, the BOV location on the E60 may also be a tight fit with stock intake. I'm running the BMS DCI, so no problems.

The included BOV is clearly an unbadged HKS SSQ4 copy, but I will say I'm pleasantly surprised by build quality. Whoever they sourced it from took their time to do it right, including the innards, unlike the pictures I've seen of the cheap copies out there. I'm running Cobb Stage 1 aggressive (no *** yet) and am routinely seeing 15psi with spikes up to 17-18psi under WOT with no leaks whatsoever. It vents when it's supposed to and isn't obnoxious IMO. In fact, it's a lot quieter than what I was suspecting during everyday driving. I rarely hear it with the radio on, unless I get on it hard and let off suddenly, which greets me with an audible woosh. If at some point it fails, I'd replace it with a genuine HKS, but if it proves reliable, I have no plan to upgrade it.
(#12)
Old

Car: 2010 535i
Default ECS Tuning Chargepipe/HKS Style BOV Combo - 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM

You can also include the ECS Tuning Chargepipe/HKS Style BOV combo, which is also marketed as a N54 all model compatible and wasn't specifically designed for the E60 535i. The VRSF with HKS style flange was on backorder, so I went with this, and am happy with it, especially for the price, $329 total. The chargepipe is of good build quality. It is a tight fit in the E60, and you will have to unbolt and do some playing with the power steering lines and reservoir to get it seated properly on the throttle body, but it fits with everything in stock location. The boxed version I got had two couplers... one appears to be the old design and one the new. Kudos on the change, as the new design is much better and pretty much eliminates the possibility that it could pop off the inlet!

My only gripe is that it would be difficult is to tap and use the included meth bungs without relocating the ps reservoir on the E60 (wish they'd put them on top inline with the flange similar to the single on the VRSF). Note, the BOV location on the E60 may also be a tight fit with stock intake. I'm running the BMS DCI, so no problems.

The included BOV is clearly an unbadged HKS SSQ4 copy, but I will say I'm pleasantly surprised by build quality. Whoever they sourced it from took their time to do it right, including the innards, unlike the pictures I've seen of the cheap copies out there. I'm running Cobb Stage 1 aggressive (no *** yet) and am routinely seeing 15psi with spikes up to 17-18psi under WOT with no leaks whatsoever. It vents when it's supposed to and isn't obnoxious IMO. In fact, it's a lot quieter than what I was suspecting during everyday driving. I rarely hear it with the radio on, unless I get on it hard and let off suddenly, which greets me with an audible woosh. If at some point it fails, I'd replace it with a genuine HKS, but if it proves reliable, I have no plan to upgrade it.