N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535XI
Default Any 535XI's with RBturbos - 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Anyone out there with a 535XI that have RBturbo's installed or will I be the first RBturbos to be installed on an XI?
(#2)
Old
Prodigal Son

Car: 535xi
Default 08-30-2013, 08:52 PM

I wish. I plan on getting them down the road. I want to get some supporting mods sorted out first.

Current Ride: Still picking one
(#3)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 08-31-2013, 06:59 AM

There are a few out there with 535xi's but have not heard much in the results from them... I'm sure you can expect similar results on the dyno as is the 335xi's (but again not many of them either) just a little slower yet due to the extra weight. Either way the engines BHP will be increasing, which is a good thing

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM

@Rob@rbturbo

So far install has been a BITCH on an XI! Shop had to drop the engine to do install, but I know it is going to be worth it!

https://www.facebook.com/MSpecPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
There are a few out there with 535xi's but have not heard much in the results from them... I'm sure you can expect similar results on the dyno as is the 335xi's (but again not many of them either) just a little slower yet due to the extra weight. Either way the engines BHP will be increasing, which is a good thing
Attached Images

(#5)
Old

Car: m5
Default 08-31-2013, 09:33 AM

Hey Latinchino! Heres a pic Jesse snapped, he was proud he finally got them all on, said it was a PITA lol

(#6)
Old

Default 08-31-2013, 09:51 AM

@mspecperfomance

I'm gonna have to buy that young man a drink for all his hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspecperformance
Hey Latinchino! Heres a pic Jesse snapped, he was proud he finally got them all on, said it was a PITA lol

(#7)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 09-02-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinchino
@Rob@rbturbo

So far install has been a BITCH on an XI! Shop had to drop the engine to do install, but I know it is going to be worth it!

Yeah, dropping the engine is very common for shops with the correct equipment to do- it actually helps tremendously save time doing the swap with the whole assembly in front of you as it is yes very difficult.

That shop looks very nice, they have some very nice equipment- lots of Snap-On boxes and the best color selection IMO!

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#8)
Old

Default 09-02-2013, 07:43 AM

@rob@rbturbo

Great shop and the techs are masters of their craft and extremely knowledgable, only shop that I allow to work on my car. Extremely fair and competitively priced compared to others in the NYC area. Top notch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Yeah, dropping the engine is very common for shops with the correct equipment to do- it actually helps tremendously save time doing the swap with the whole assembly in front of you as it is yes very difficult.

That shop looks very nice, they have some very nice equipment- lots of Snap-On boxes and the best color selection IMO!

Rob

Last edited by latinchino; 09-02-2013 at 09:13 AM..
(#9)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Damn that looks like some serious work to get them installed.

'09 AW 535i
-FBO w/custom Cobb E45 map, Fuel_it Stg2 LPFP and Performance Gearing LSD

(#10)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 09-02-2013, 09:50 PM

How long did the whole swap-out take? Mine were 2 days basically.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#11)
Old
Prodigal Son

Car: 535xi
Default 09-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Man, xi's just screw things up.

Every time I tell one of the guys I am getting ***, they say do the turbos at the same time. I see why now. Its that bad.

Those guys preferred to drop the engine and the subframe. I think I will do my mounts at the same time then.

Current Ride: Still picking one
(#12)
Old

Default 09-03-2013, 07:19 AM

@ocean

Yupp! 20 hrs worth of labor for an XI, it is an extreme bitch for the turbo install

@pitch Black

You will save some serious cash doing everything at once as the DP's alone are a bitch to remove and install. The turbos are a huge BITCH and I mean that! To get the front turbo off the water pump had to be removed. It is definitely not an easy job!

Well worth it as they found one of my motor mounts was blown, so that got swapped out during the install. They are finalizing things today!
(#13)
Old
Legend

Default 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Camber Toe did turbos and *** on my car. Also turbos on wife's E61 (regular ones, everyone calm down! Though I was tempted!)
They dropped the subframe to get access. 12 hr job is what they quoted me, but I gather it actually took longer.
e60 is a bigger car with same N54 engine, yet it is crazy tight to get to the turbos. Go figure.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#14)
Old

Default 09-04-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Camber Toe did turbos and *** on my car. Also turbos on wife's E61 (regular ones, everyone calm down! Though I was tempted!)
They dropped the subframe to get access. 12 hr job is what they quoted me, but I gather it actually took longer.
e60 is a bigger car with same N54 engine, yet it is crazy tight to get to the turbos. Go figure.
We did just did the turbo and DP combo on latinochino's 535xi. Since most of you are savvy owners, the average book hours on the turbo replacement as per leading industry labor guides (including dealer) is between 15-17 hours. In our experience we really don't see how this is possible without dropping the engine out of the vehicle. There is just absolutely no clearance for any type of maneuvering. The only possible way anyone could get the turbos out of a 535xi with the engine in car is either A) lots of cussing and banging around the hotside of the engine trying to get ratchets and socket to fit at odd angles OR B) They have magic gnome hands capable of amazing feats of finger dexterity. Although pulling the engine may be a bit more time and labo intensive, you are capable of having a complete overview the alignment of the turbos and the ability to properly torque all fastners to proper torque specs. It is also a great opportunity to inspect any other engine component, hoses, mounts etc for any damage with an unobstructed view. It is also proper repair procedure as per BMW service repair procedure. By dropping the engine, you get a perfect install with all fastners torqued properly and no banging around of the engine bay (no scratches in the bay!).

It took us between 3-4 days (we did some tinkering on Saturday and Labor Day for a few) to get it done. We did spend about a day to see if there was any way of avoid taking the engine out. I would say to do it again it would be a 2 day job if all the proper parts are present (random hoses, fastners, gaskets that might need to be replaced). Hope this was insightful for you guys!

P.S. The turbos pull like a TRAIN! Kudos to RB!
(#15)
Old

Default 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Holy **** that's a lot of work lol
(#16)
Old
Legend

Default 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM

LOL. I had turbos replaced on both our 535i sedan and 535Xi wagon.
It's very tight and you need to loosen the sub frame to get access.
I dropped off in the morning and picked up the following evening. So 2 day job at Camber Toe Performance in Long Island.

The sedan got RBs, the wagon got stock turbos. I bought them from Rob Beck, so when the box arrived the shop thought I was RBing my wife's car. They got all excited, lol. That would have been overkill for a grocery hauler.

Sleeper 5 series
(#17)
Old

Default 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Ocean,

Its such an awesome upgrade, I'm sure you have a grin from ear to ear driving that thing! Even better upgrade if you need to replace your turbos anyway!
(#18)
Old

Default 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM

I think my car was in the shop for 3 days for my install. The guys were teaching each other some new swear words at the same time as they didn't drop the engine, but rather loosened one side and tilted the engine somehow.

Oh well.

In the end it all worked out and the car is almost scary quick, even with the fueling issues I'm still having.

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#19)
Old

Default 09-22-2015, 05:22 AM

All,

You will probably think I am crazy, but I traded in my RBturbo 2008 535 XI with 74K miles.

The car was traded in to Ferman BMW of Palm Harbor, Florida 34684. If anyone is interested in an E60 with RBturbos with ER Intercooler, AR Design ********* ***, Dinan exhaust. Go to Ferman BMW as they do not know the car has RBturbos. This would be a steal when they put the car up for sale.

Still on car:

RBTurbos+ RB PCV valve - AR Design ********* *** - ER FMIC - BMS OCC - Dinan exhaust - SAT flash with sport button

To go full bolt on all you need is a charge pipe and intake!

Car was very well taken cared of and up keep was on point.

Last thing that was done was new injectors, coils, sparks, HPFP, oil change, transmission flush, filter and pan were all recently done!

Last 7 digits of VIN: CZ66880
(#20)
Old

Car: 08 535ix
Default 09-22-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinchino
All,

You will probably think I am crazy, but I traded in my RBturbo 2008 535 XI with 74K miles.

The car was traded in to Ferman BMW of Palm Harbor, Florida 34684. If anyone is interested in an E60 with RBturbos with ER Intercooler, AR Design ********* ***, Dinan exhaust. Go to Ferman BMW as they do not know the car has RBturbos. This would be a steal when they put the car up for sale.

Still on car:

RBTurbos+ RB PCV valve - AR Design ********* *** - ER FMIC - BMS OCC - Dinan exhaust - SAT flash with sport button

To go full bolt on all you need is a charge pipe and intake!

Car was very well taken cared of and up keep was on point.

Last thing that was done was new injectors, coils, sparks, HPFP, oil change, transmission flush, filter and pan were all recently done!

Last 7 digits of VIN: CZ66880
mind if I ask what they gave you for trade value?

'08 535xi 6m, ACT 6 Puck Race Clutch / AR Design DP's / AFE Twin Power DCI / VTT Inlets / VRSF CP / TIAL BOV / Big Tom style IC / Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP / NGK 5992's @.022 / N20 T-Map / MHD Flash....100% e85 @24psi on stock snails!
(#21)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 09-22-2015, 12:40 PM

Warranty turbo replacements for E60 not xi is 11 hours. I did them on my 535 with the motor in the car, walnut blast, OFHG, Oil pan gasket and I dropped the subframe completely out and had the motor hanging. Took me about 15 hours to do. However I have experience as I work at a BMW dealership.

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#22)
Old

Default 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick
mind if I ask what they gave you for trade value?
$12K
(#23)
Old

Default 09-22-2015, 12:53 PM

http://www.fermanbmw.com/VehicleDeta...-FL/2620942363
(#24)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 09-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Impressive!!!

UK FBO 335i, ̶V̶T̶T̶ ̶G̶C̶s̶ China 19T, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#25)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 09-24-2015, 11:47 AM

Didn't you just get the RB's installed this month? Why sell the car that soon?