N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport
Default Low pressure on 6 month old walbro 450 lpfp - 12-01-2019, 12:13 AM

About 6 months ago I installed a upgrade lpfp I went with the walbro 450 lpfp. I followed vehicular DIY how to and after getting a few complications sorted out the pump was running great very strong numbers (high 60s and 70s) and my fuel trims were no longer maxing out from not having enough pressure. Ran great up until recently I notice a slightly slower throttle response and the car didn't feel as strong and efficient during WOT in 3rd gear. Right away I took a few logs and noticed my fuel trims were maxing out again and my lpfp numbers were low 50s and mostly in 40s and that's definitely not normal. I have yet to take it back apart again but I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this. I thought maybe the fuel line got disconnected but that would cause it to have no pressure at all and would have worse problems like car shutting off. I figured it's probably not power related because usually it's either got power or it doesn't. I'd imagine the pump isn't bad because its only a few months old and has less then 4k miles on it. So I'm kinda stuck wondering what it could be. Just wondering if anyone has experience with something like this from what I've read the walbro 450 seems to be a very reliable pump especially when I'm only running 93 pump gas as of right now because of the cold weather. Thanks!
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 12-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Logs? N55 has no LPFP sensor.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-03-2019, 05:09 PM

E chassis n55 I believe does have a lpfp sensor since I do get readings I attached logs below.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-02 19_29_32_Map-1.csv (9.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: csv 2019-11-28 14_06_48_Map-1.csv (11.0 KB, 12 views)
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-03-2019, 08:40 PM

N55 E and F series don't have a lpfp sensor.
HPFP looks fine, so I wouldn't worry.

You have some timing pull and seems like you're maxed out WGDC.
Check for boost leaks and raise fuel octane.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM

How come I get reading for lpfp pressure if I don't have a sensor. Seems kinda odd. I attached a pull that had stronger lpfp readings and it felt much stronger and didn't seem to have any issues overall. I was running e60 which boosted my octane to around 100 allowing me to run map 7
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-10-09 23_17_00_Map-7.csv (8.4 KB, 14 views)
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-10-2019, 10:01 AM

There's no sensor, that signal is just electronic noise and a coincidence.

The reason why it felt stronger is cause you're in a higher map and using higher concentrate of ethanol.

You're not hitting target boost though. Set duty bias to 50 across all rpm and get another log.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 12-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Sorry i should have clarified. By stronger i meant the pull was more consistent, it didn't hesitate at all and the car pulled strong all the way through the gear. Where as recently pulls have been less consistent and feel more choppy. I will definitely try setting the duty bias to 50 i will let you know what that does. Do you think its possible i have a bad injector(s)? I've been experiencing a really weird not normal ticking/scratching noises from the engine bay, they sound like what a n54 injector sounds like when they are dying. This scratching/ticking noise is much more apparent and sounds different to the normal injector tick (Dont worry it isnt engine knock lol, however i wonder if it is lifter tick??). I am under the understanding that it is very uncommon for N55 Eu5 injectors to fail but it seems interesting to me that my symptoms are very similar to what a n54 experiences when it has injector failure. Anyways Thanks for all the help i will try and update you tomorrow!
(#8)
Old

Default 12-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
There's no sensor, that signal is just electronic noise and a coincidence.

The reason why it felt stronger is cause you're in a higher map and using higher concentrate of ethanol.

You're not hitting target boost though. Set duty bias to 50 across all rpm and get another log.
I set the duty bias to 50 across all RPM in my jb4 app. Here are 2 3rd gear WOT logs. Note the road conditions aren't that great right now so i spun a decent bit.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-11 11_48_34_Map-1.csv (10.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-11 11_46_42_Map-1.csv (12.2 KB, 12 views)
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackman218
I set the duty bias to 50 across all RPM in my jb4 app. Here are 2 3rd gear WOT logs. Note the road conditions aren't that great right now so i spun a decent bit.
Perfect, boost is looking better now. Increase the duty bias to 65 across all rpm now and get another log. We'll get boost on target now. Fuel pressure is great.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 12-13-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Perfect, boost is looking better now. Increase the duty bias to 65 across all rpm now and get another log. We'll get boost on target now. Fuel pressure is great.
So i set the duty bias to 65 across all RPM and car started over boosting and even hit boost safety at 20psi and flashed me into map 4. I lower duty bias 55 across all rpm and noticed a severe problem. when i rolled into WOT in 3rd gear my rpms were shooting up to 6000 and I was only going 60mph. From my experience 6000rpm in 3rd gear is around 100mph. It looks as if my clutch is slipping severely. I'm unsure what could be causing this problem cause i cant imagine my clutch going bad when i am only at 63k miles. I was wondering if this can happen if i have a leak in my slave cylinder or master cylinder but i am unsure. I didn't really get any good logs because it was slipping so bad. Any suggestions?
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
So i set the duty bias to 65 across all RPM and car started over boosting and even hit boost safety at 20psi and flashed me into map 4. I lower duty bias 55 across all rpm and noticed a severe problem. when i rolled into WOT in 3rd gear my rpms were shooting up to 6000 and I was only going 60mph. From my experience 6000rpm in 3rd gear is around 100mph. It looks as if my clutch is slipping severely. I'm unsure what could be causing this problem cause i cant imagine my clutch going bad when i am only at 63k miles. I was wondering if this can happen if i have a leak in my slave cylinder or master cylinder but i am unsure. I didn't really get any good logs because it was slipping so bad. Any suggestions?
Got the logs?

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 12-13-2019, 04:22 PM

I will take a log when i get off from work.
(#13)
Old

Default 12-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Got the logs?
Got some logs. One was in 3rd gear rolling into WOT. One was in 4th gear WOT. One was in 2nd gear WOT but I let off early cause my car was getting sideways. I also took one log in map 0, 3rd gear rolled into WOT. The one I took in map 0 felt better but I could tell it still wasn't right. All the other logs the clutch seemed to be slipping pretty bad.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-13 19_28_32_Map-1.csv (5.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-13 19_31_46_Map-1.csv (7.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-13 19_27_38_Map-1.csv (5.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-13 19_24_18_Map-0.csv (7.1 KB, 12 views)
(#14)
Old

Default 12-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Got the logs?
I uploaded a video of my guages when it happens link below
Rip stock clutch on 335i - YouTube
(#15)
Old

Default 12-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Got the logs?
Any ideas?
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Any ideas?
Yea, looks like clutch slip
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Car: n54 335
Default 12-17-2019, 03:17 PM

clutch slip +1

751WHP 688WTQ
JP Works Kit Record
SOLD: E90 335i 751whp 688WTQ
CURRENT: E82 135i (under construction)
Visit my website VaderSolution.com !