N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default M5 JB4 Pump Gas Dyno Runs - 10-05-2015, 05:31 PM

Hey guys,

Was able to get our 2015 M5 out to the dyno today for some JB4+BCM pump gas dyno runs. Fuel is 91 octane with a can of NOS octane booster added. So around 92.7 octane. Similar to 93 octane most out there run. The car is otherwise stock except for our prototype intake.

Limited on time today so I'll just share some of the data. Did a few runs on map 4 (stock), map 1 set to 19psi, and map 2 set to 23psi. We runs in both 4th and 5th gear in each configuration and then posted the best of each. As most know 5th is the 1:1 gear and results in higher HP on the dyno. But with the 155mph speed limiter doesn't let you rev past ~6200rpm.

Overall results were as expected. Fueling and octane started to become an issue on map 2 as tested so I think we'll keep that around 22psi moving forward. Map 1 is a nice conservative setup suitable for even 91 octane fuel in warm weather. We appreciate that most people running the JB4+BCM will be shooting for the 700whp+ figures on meth and/or race gas but its nice to know even on pump gas the potential is there for more power under the curve than Stage1 alone is able to provide.

We also did a few runs without the intake for kicks. The intake added a handful of HP up top and improved spool. Nothing major. But it does sound great. We'll post more on that in the coming weeks. For now here is a video we took of it during a map 1 run.

Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-05-2015, 05:35 PM

What is the ''stock'' map 4 target ?
(#3)
Old

Car: 2015 M235i
Default 10-05-2015, 06:26 PM

Nice numbers!

Any guess what 95 octane fuel *US RATING* with around E20/25 would put down for map 2?

Any clutch slippage at all for map 2? Would a DCT reflash be recommended for Map 2 or not needed?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF
What is the ''stock'' map 4 target ?
The stock tuning peaked around 15psi in these conditions.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBOOST
Nice numbers!

Any guess what 95 octane fuel *US RATING* with around E20/25 would put down for map 2?

Any clutch slippage at all for map 2? Would a DCT reflash be recommended for Map 2 or not needed?
23psi slips on the road. 22psi is right on the cusp of being OK. Might be a problem for older cars. A DCT reflash would be pointless. The only way to improve the holding capacity is with aftermarket DCT clutch packs.

Burger Motorsports

(#6)
Old

Default 10-05-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
23psi slips on the road. 22psi is right on the cusp of being OK. Might be a problem for older cars. A DCT reflash would be pointless. The only way to improve the holding capacity is with aftermarket DCT clutch packs.

Would clutch slippage depend on how the car is driven (if it was/is launched all the time) or just simply slips no matter how much you take care of it? Last question, with the new DCT clutch packs, a DCT reflash wouldn't be needed? Thanks again!
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-05-2015, 07:48 PM

On slippage there is a large amount of randomness too it. But most M5s experience it in the 650wtq range. Some get it sooner than others based on driving style, weather, etc.

The clutch packs are plug and play. Just drop in and go.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 10-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
On slippage there is a large amount of randomness too it. But most M5s experience it in the 650wtq range. Some get it sooner than others based on driving style, weather, etc.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Nice to know they're plug and play. Hopefully not a fortune or too hard to replace. Who sells them in the US? I have also heard about a wheel sensor that could relate to DCT problems... Local tech told me. Will talk to him more about it.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 E92 335xi
Default 10-06-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:

Don't forget about the DCT reset via Autologic or Rheingold.
(#10)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 10-06-2015, 05:01 AM

Seems like timing is dropping a lot, this was what I saw with my car too.
With a flash it is simply a different car, but, without the JB4 to log, it wouldn't perform any good
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Timing is pretty good here. Sloping up towards redline, at least in the 2 cylinders we're monitoring. Where the flash would come in handy is on the fueling side at > 22psi on pump gas. But then you have the DCT limit at that point anyway. Also the flash has to be done properly otherwise you'll just run too rich and misfire.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 10-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Timing is pretty good here. Sloping up towards redline, at least in the 2 cylinders we're monitoring. Where the flash would come in handy is on the fueling side at > 22psi on pump gas. But then you have the DCT limit at that point anyway. Also the flash has to be done properly otherwise you'll just run too rich and misfire.
Yup! I haven't seen slippage yet.
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy
Don't forget about the DCT reset via Autologic or Rheingold.
+1. I'll have to add this command to the JB4 as well in the future.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: 2007 e92 335
Default 10-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Nice numbers !!
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Just noticed I forgot to add torque to the map 1 run. See attached.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old
ElevenPointFive

Car: 2009 135i
Default 10-06-2015, 07:00 PM

These M5/6 are nutz.

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo - 6MT - Midnight Blue
Cobb Stage 1

2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM
MHD Stage 2+ ~ BMS Intake ~ AMS FMIC ~ CPE
(#17)
Old

Car: 2014 F10 M5 CP Frozen Grey
Default 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace
These M5/6 are nutz.

Nice to see real world usable numbers - what were you seeing at 23psi that made you choose 22psj as the 'max' for standard 91-93 octane conditions?
(#18)
Old

Car: M5
Exclamation 10-06-2015, 08:55 PM

Why do both map 1 and 2 dive to 540whp @7000rpm ?
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Probably a flow limitation of the factory turbos, exhaust, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 10-07-2015, 08:14 PM

I may be missing the obvious but what is BCM? Also, is the stock clutch in 6MT able to hold more power than the DCT at high torque?
(#21)
Old

Car: M5
Default 10-07-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Probably a flow limitation of the factory turbos, exhaust, etc.
Why would the turbos be able to flow 600+whp at 6000rpm but only 540whp at 7000rpm, does not seem to be a turbo flow problem....
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-08-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
I may be missing the obvious but what is BCM? Also, is the stock clutch in 6MT able to hold more power than the DCT at high torque?
The BCM is a module that adds on to the JB4 to give it direct wastegate control. There is some addl info on it in the S63tu JB4 thread. I've never actually seen or driven a manual M5 no less pushed one to high power levels so I couldn't tell you on that.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 11-12-2015, 08:58 AM

hey T ill be helping a friend tonight finish the S2 install on his s63, do you have any custom map 6 settings anywhere for c@tless/pump gas? he has no meth so i know 21psi is probably tops. we just want to play around later and would like to hear you thoughts on boost targets if everything looks good in map 1

12' DCT 135i
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM

JB4 you mean? I'd evaluate map1 and map2 (if equipped with BCM).

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
JB4 you mean? I'd evaluate map1 and map2 (if equipped with BCM).
yes, he has the full bcm etc etc...ok thanks sir!

12' DCT 135i
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT