N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#651)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 11-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel234
Bosch MG ECU is cracked since 1-2 month... Now we need BEF....
We not seeing power/performance variances from flash to JB4 cars so not even looking at that yet. Also the ECU needs to be removed and flashed so will be a logistical nightmare at this stage.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#652)
Old

Car: 2019 Audi SQ5
Default 11-18-2019, 11:57 PM

Hey All -

I've read through this forum a couple of times and I apologize if I'm asking previously addressed questions. Further, I got so much help from this forum I'm posting my questions here in case they help others (I will still email George shortly):
1 - Where is the best place to attach the ground wire for the SQ5?
2 - I will most likely only have access to freeway/city driving; what does George need to see in the logs before progressing through the maps? Accelerations, fast driving, burn outs, all of the above?
3 - I will have access to 100 octane race fuel this weekend, does anyone mix this with a little E85? (I thought I read that some do to "cool things down" a bit. Assuming my logs look good what map should I run while on this crazy fuel?
3 - This one has been asked but I'm still trying to understand it:for the long term are folks that are adding a small amount of Ethanol (not sure if I'm saying "E85" correctly) are you worried about long term damage to your vehicle?
4 - How many Tacate's are too many while installing this? Asking for a friend.

I purchased this based on customer service provided by George and the folks at BMS. Anyone that can field the random questions, including these, get my dollar.

Suggestion:
Allow the cable to be disconnected at the OBD connector. When I would like to remove the JB4 I would like to keep the cable in without any identifying brand names on it. In other words, only a black cable would be left in place. I would be willing to purchase this as an add-on accessory for additional $$.

I just finished routing the OBD cable through the firewall. It took me 2.2 hours. This is what I expected as I've never done this before. I'm good with cabling but have little knowledge of cars.
(#653)
Old

Default 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPanther
Hey All -

I've read through this forum a couple of times and I apologize if I'm asking previously addressed questions. Further, I got so much help from this forum I'm posting my questions here in case they help others (I will still email George shortly):
1 - Where is the best place to attach the ground wire for the SQ5?
2 - I will most likely only have access to freeway/city driving; what does George need to see in the logs before progressing through the maps? Accelerations, fast driving, burn outs, all of the above?
3 - I will have access to 100 octane race fuel this weekend, does anyone mix this with a little E85? (I thought I read that some do to "cool things down" a bit. Assuming my logs look good what map should I run while on this crazy fuel?
3 - This one has been asked but I'm still trying to understand it:for the long term are folks that are adding a small amount of Ethanol (not sure if I'm saying "E85" correctly) are you worried about long term damage to your vehicle?
4 - How many Tacate's are too many while installing this? Asking for a friend.

I purchased this based on customer service provided by George and the folks at BMS. Anyone that can field the random questions, including these, get my dollar.

Suggestion:
Allow the cable to be disconnected at the OBD connector. When I would like to remove the JB4 I would like to keep the cable in without any identifying brand names on it. In other words, only a black cable would be left in place. I would be willing to purchase this as an add-on accessory for additional $$.

I just finished routing the OBD cable through the firewall. It took me 2.2 hours. This is what I expected as I've never done this before. I'm good with cabling but have little knowledge of cars.
There is a good ground point on the SQ5 just behind the ECU againts the firewall if I am not mistakened.

We need to see 3rd gear logs from around 3500 through the gear. If you got room to do safely go a bit of 4th as well.

What we typically do is check in markets like Brazil if the cars have different fueling components as they only get E30-35 at the tank. For many years not the manufacturers have stopped doing market specific vehicles so there isnt any long term concerns. We have run ours mostly on E85 with higher than the recommended mix of 5 gal to a tank with no negatives to report. You can mix the 100 with th eE85 for more octane but generally users that can get E85 just use that and its good enough to max power.
I had to google #4

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#654)
Old

Default 11-19-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
There is a good ground point on the SQ5 just behind the ECU againts the firewall if I am not mistakened.
Does this look right (for those Googling: SQ5 B9 JB4 ground spot location)?
Attached Images

(#655)
Old

Default 11-20-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPanther
Does this look right (for those Googling: SQ5 B9 JB4 ground spot location)?
Yes, looks good.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#656)
Old

Default 11-20-2019, 08:14 PM

This thing is awesome. Iím only on stock one and can feel the difference under strong acceleration. Iíve never worked on a car before - if you are new to this it can be done but it took me a total of 4.5 hours. I connected every sensor and ran it cleanly through the firewall. Further this time includes connecting my iPhone. A few mistakes I made:
1 - Despite it being mentioned everywhere I did not update the firmware when I first installed it. I had thought I read somewhere it came with the newest version or something to that affect. Update your firmware before driving and without the engine on.
2 - Place the phone as close to the device as possible when updating the firmware. Data transfer over Bluetooth is a painful process and needs to go perfectly. Mine failed about 10 times before working. I expected this, itís the reality of Bluetooth (IMO).
3 - Be careful about reading old threads and posts. They are filled with outdated issues and tips.
4 - The fuel pressure sensor took me an hour because of what I had read from non official posts and videos. For whatever reason, mine only required having the red latch pulled up and then the plug squeezed and pulled. Comes right off. There is mention of a black tab needed to be manipulated- this was not the case for me. My experience may be unique (2019 SQ5).
5 - Use a headlamp
6 - A third gear pull does not mean ďjust drive in third gearĒ as I originally thought. You are supposed to redline the gears while accelerating (I think)
7 - The firmware process is complicated (IMO). Plan on reading and watching the videos prior to driving (this added another 20 to 30 minutes).

If open for a project, I highly encourage you to purchase the JB4. (Note: Iíve only been on it for a day). George responded to my emails in the middle of night within two hours. Amazing.

Another suggestion:
Sell an hour on consultation via video chat to help you with various aspects.
(#657)
Old

Car: S4 B9
Default 11-22-2019, 03:14 PM

4,5 h :o

Respect. After all, you have gained the experience.

I fixed all the wires with a fast detachable cable ties and complete remove-install before/after service tekes about 10 minutes...

BTW, still enjoy my JB4 On the FB I compared my times 100-200 km/h (with a heavy Avant) to S5 Coupť s and so on. They runs with Down*Pipe without Catalisator and flash tune same times as my Avant with JB4 only. Ok, I habe a cheat fuel, 102 RON+E85 is not really daily fuel :D

8W5 CWGD ||@BMS
5F CJSA || Full Stock
A/H Z18XER || @EDS

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"What we dealing with here is a total lack of respect to the law" (c) TP 1994
(#658)
Old

Car: 2019 RS5
Default HELP! Need latest RS5 Firmware - 11-23-2019, 08:58 AM

I read some forum stuff that said that Map 4 was screwed up in earlier firmware versions, so I updated the firmware from this forum. The firmware took, but now I am getting a ton of Warning and CELs.

Can anyone send me a link to the current file? I think I accidentally went back in version.

I just got the JB4 a week ago and am on 76/4/7 after firmware update - it was on 76/5/7 before update.
(#659)
Old

Default 11-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn350
I read some forum stuff that said that Map 4 was screwed up in earlier firmware versions, so I updated the firmware from this forum. The firmware took, but now I am getting a ton of Warning and CELs.

Can anyone send me a link to the current file? I think I accidentally went back in version.

I just got the JB4 a week ago and am on 76/4/7 after firmware update - it was on 76/5/7 before update.
Did you load the firmware from post 1?
There hasnt been a issue with map 4 JB4 wise, the app still recognizes it as a safety map and that can be ignored.
Faults are most likely due to firmware update, go key on and clear the faults then lock the car for a bit and restart.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#660)
Old

Default 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Did you load the firmware from post 1?
There hasnt been a issue with map 4 JB4 wise, the app still recognizes it as a safety map and that can be ignored.
Faults are most likely due to firmware update, go key on and clear the faults then lock the car for a bit and restart.
George - I did do the firmware update from the first post. The JB4 isnít reading codes, so I had to get a separate tool for it. I gathered and cleared the codes. P0236 is the one that keeps coming back. I re-installed the firmware update from a different iOS device, cleared the codes, locked the door and came back 45 minutes later. It starts fine in Map 0. It works fine in Map 1. Map 2 causes P0236 and runs rough. Map 3 creates the same code and runs REAL rough. Thoughts?

I can be reached at 650-387-9537 if thatís easier.
(#661)
Old

Default 11-23-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn350
George - I am now stuck on the side of the road. I canít connect the app. Now says: ďError connecting to your JB4. Check your hardware connectionĒ. Please call me - I am stranded.
If its not reading faults there is a possibility the OBD cable on the small end is not plugged in correctly. Use the angles indicated below to match male to female.

Without the OBD cable and fuel plug connected the car might be throwing faults which in turn switches of the boost sensor one of which the JB4 powers up as well as a bluetooth module which is most likely why you cannot connect.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#662)
Old

Default 11-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Fixed!

Last edited by spawn350; 11-24-2019 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Fixed
(#663)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Respect. After all, you have gained the experience.
Much appreciated. I'm glad I struggled through it as I better understand it now. I find it similar to programming or other design type functions in that I learn a great deal as I try different approaches.

For those on the fence or have never tried a tune before, I think this the JB4 is a great product. I've emailed George a half a dozen times and he responds to all of them. I was fortunate enough to run it on map 5 with 101 octane at the track and it was a beast. I've had zero issues and it's been pushed... hard.
(#664)
Old

Default 11-27-2019, 12:48 PM

uh, 101 octane, RON oder AKI? Ok, not matter, with both you could drive map6 with setup from George, its really a beast.

I will install intake, Wagner intercooler and Down*Pipe and will see (if Iīll not sale S4 and buy M340i Touring next year :D )

8W5 CWGD ||@BMS
5F CJSA || Full Stock
A/H Z18XER || @EDS

(#665)
Old

Default 11-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
uh, 101 octane, RON oder AKI?
I'm not sure. I did a quick google search and wasn't able to understand the differences completely. I purchased at the VP Race Fuel gas pump in the U.S. Based on Wikipedia this is most likely AKI?
(#666)
Old

Default 11-28-2019, 04:05 PM

ok, if u are based in US, its AKI And 101 oct AKI is really strong.

AKI= (RON+MON) /2

In Europe we have usually RON specification.

8W5 CWGD ||@BMS
5F CJSA || Full Stock
A/H Z18XER || @EDS

(#667)
Old

Car: 2018 rs5
Default compatible down pipe - 11-29-2019, 06:01 PM

so I find myself wanting more power. only thing I can think of is passing the cats and adding a down pipe. recently had to replace my rear axle. broke it at a closed circuit track and thankfully it was covered under warranty because I took the JB4 tuner, trottlebody spacer and intake out. I like the jb4 because it reads codes and intercepts. before going to the ecu. I wanted to add a down pipe. but I know it traditionally throws a code. will this tuner intercept that as well? if do. what down pipe do you recommend? also I can't seem to launch (brake boost) on MAP 4 when running higher octane. my JB4 throws the program back to map 0. for safety. is this normal? and how can I push the tuner harder to not reset back to map 0?

2018 RS5
jb4 sent RAV2. w/boost control module
jb4 device connection wireless smart phone kit
AWE airgate carbon intake
034 motorsport dynamic + adjustable rear sway bar
034 motorsport Swaybar end link, adjustable front and rear
034 motorsport billet aluminum rear subframe mount insert kit
034 motorsport bullet transmission mount insert
034 motorsport front strut brace billet aluminum
ECS carbon fiber ECU cover
custom carbon Fiber pedestal wing spoiler.
custom throttle body spacer
set negative camber on wheel
-1.5 degree camber front
-.5 camber in rear.
285/30*20 MPP4's from 275/30*20
running 101 OCTANE.

Last edited by aliiaki; 11-29-2019 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: CAR DESCRIPTION.
(#668)
Old

Default 11-30-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiaki
so I find myself wanting more power. only thing I can think of is passing the cats and adding a down pipe. recently had to replace my rear axle. broke it at a closed circuit track and thankfully it was covered under warranty because I took the JB4 tuner, trottlebody spacer and intake out. I like the jb4 because it reads codes and intercepts. before going to the ecu. I wanted to add a down pipe. but I know it traditionally throws a code. will this tuner intercept that as well? if do. what down pipe do you recommend? also I can't seem to launch (brake boost) on MAP 4 when running higher octane. my JB4 throws the program back to map 0. for safety. is this normal? and how can I push the tuner harder to not reset back to map 0?

2018 RS5
jb4 sent RAV2. w/boost control module
jb4 device connection wireless smart phone kit
AWE airgate carbon intake
034 motorsport dynamic + adjustable rear sway bar
034 motorsport Swaybar end link, adjustable front and rear
034 motorsport billet aluminum rear subframe mount insert kit
034 motorsport bullet transmission mount insert
034 motorsport front strut brace billet aluminum
ECS carbon fiber ECU cover
custom carbon Fiber pedestal wing spoiler.
custom throttle body spacer
set negative camber on wheel
-1.5 degree camber front
-.5 camber in rear.
285/30*20 MPP4's from 275/30*20
running 101 OCTANE.
Hi,

Can you check what is the last safety value when you conect and it will let us know why you having the map switch.
It wont delete *** codes.
In terms of mods I would work on the cooling first. There is a kit coming out soon in the US that will be more affordable than the likes of the ABT and MTM which we havent seen great results yet. Intake temps is the biggest challenge with maxing the power on the RS4/5 models.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#669)
Old

Car: Golf R
Default 12-01-2019, 08:06 PM

Have you guys tested this unit with the new 2019 and up Porsche Cayenne S? Pretty sure it shares the same engine with the Audi RS5. Iím hoping they use the same connectors.
(#670)
Old

Default 12-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBP
Have you guys tested this unit with the new 2019 and up Porsche Cayenne S? Pretty sure it shares the same engine with the Audi RS5. Iím hoping they use the same connectors.
Hi,

The Cayenne S is the same engine but they have unfortunately used double the amount of boost sensors so the unit does not work. We started working on the 4.0 T Turbo motor which has the same amount of sensors as the S so once the hardware is ready there wont be a challenge in using the software for the Rs5 on that unit. Dont have a extact time frame unit but its in the works.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#671)
Old

Default 12-10-2019, 01:04 AM

Just to throw some SQ5 results in the thread, had a rare dry night with an amazing negative DA, ripped off back-to-back-to-back 12's via Dragy.

'19 SQ5
JB4 on map 4 w/ ~93AKI octane (10 gals 92 + half bottle of Lucas Oil octane booster)
AWE Intake

Picked up a full second and almost 8MPH over stock in this weather!

(#672)
Old

Default 12-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrayfive
Just to throw some SQ5 results in the thread, had a rare dry night with an amazing negative DA, ripped off back-to-back-to-back 12's via Dragy.

'19 SQ5
JB4 on map 4 w/ ~93AKI octane (10 gals 92 + half bottle of Lucas Oil octane booster)
AWE Intake

Picked up a full second and almost 8MPH over stock in this weather!

Thats awesome. I think its the first SQ5 I have seen in the 12's. Flatter surface should give you faster times.
What kind of times are you getting 0-60mph?

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#673)
Old

Default 12-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Thats awesome. I think its the first SQ5 I have seen in the 12's. Flatter surface should give you faster times.
What kind of times are you getting 0-60mph?
Thanks! 4.53 0-60 (4.2 w/ 1ft of rollout!)

For these runs I brake boosted with ECS full off, engine/trans in Dynamic, but I left the shifter in D and let the trans shift itself in 1st and 2nd as it seems to short shift in D right where I want it to, and also seems like it shifts faster on its own, then I popped it into S right after the 2-3 shift and manually shifted at 6300RPM in 3rd and 4th.

That got me the 12.73 and then I turned around and went right back the opposite direction without a cool down and got a 12.8 @ 107.9 using the same method, but I think my 60ft and 0-60 times suffered a tick or two because of the all-seasons and using this method.

Will try leaving it in S for the whole shebang and see if it's any different whenever we get another dry night, which won't be for a while now.

Last edited by Hurrayfive; 12-13-2019 at 04:54 PM..