N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default New to the forum.... seeking advice on misfire/injector/hpfp issue. - 04-27-2019, 06:20 PM

A little background on the situation...

Picked up a 2007 335i sedan about 4 months ago w/ 106k on the clock for $700 bucks. Spun rod bearing, bent rod and disintegrated piston #5 cylinder. Other than that it's in pretty damn good shape. I don't know it's history in detail other than the p/o ran it fairly hard (jb4, down*****, cai... not sure what else).
Fast forward to present... new to me engine installed w/ 102k out of a 2007 335i convertible. So far mods include VRSF 2" stock location silicone inlets, BMS DCI, JB4 on map 2 and a dual oil cooler w/ factory t-stat flipped for continuous circulation setup I put together. Engine has index 1 injectors across the board. I'm assuming original coils and unsure on the mileage on the spark plugs. I've got some NGK 95770 ordered and should be in hand tomorrow.
So, I need some advise from you guys that have more knowledge than myself.
I'm currently getting codes:
-2E35 injection valve cylinder 6
-29D2 misfirings cylinder 6
-29D0 misfirings cylinder 4
-29CC misfirings several cylinders
To get to the point... I know injectors, coils and plugs can and will cause these codes but can the hpfp be a culprit for taking out injectors? My fuel pressure reads up to 17 on JB4 logs. I thought normal pressure at WOT was in the 10 -12 range...? I'm sure I've missed important details to aid in y'alls input as far as diagnosing goes so let me know what else will help and I'll let y'all know. Thank you in advance for any input on this!
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Post a proper log

Also when was the last time you did walnut blast?

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i FBO stock turbos
Default 04-28-2019, 10:13 AM

I would go on a limb and say injector #6 is your culprit, at least one of the problems. That code 2e35 is very straight-fwd; it’s normally bad injector or bad connection to the injector. 29D0 could be a result of a bad coil/spark plug/ bad connection to coil, vacuum leak etc. other two codes resulted from these two.

1/4mile 11.8@117.96 19psi
07 E92 335i (the Alpträum) | Alpine wht/ Seibon carbon hood/ trunk| M parallel wheels| street tires
FBO| modified oem airbox lid w/K&N drop-in| stock turbos/ stock inlets| Walbro 465lph LPFP| Jb4/mhd backend flash| Map 6 w/E60 No Meth| Built and tuned by me.
(#4)
Old

Default 04-29-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynpunch
Post a proper log

Also when was the last time you did walnut blast?
Honestly I haven't had a chance to pull a proper log. I have some random ones from JB4 doing what I assume is auto logging. A proper log is first on the to-do list as soon as I get this injector swapped out, assuming that's the culprit. I have an index 10 out of the original engine I'm going to install. The intake runners and valves are clean, I walnut blasted it while it was on the engine stand before dropping it in the car. Thanks for the reply! I've got a lot to learn and I appreciate any feedback.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-29-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiN54
I would go on a limb and say injector #6 is your culprit, at least one of the problems. That code 2e35 is very straight-fwd; it’s normally bad injector or bad connection to the injector. 29D0 could be a result of a bad coil/spark plug/ bad connection to coil, vacuum leak etc. other two codes resulted from these two.
That's more or less what I was thinking. I'm going to swap in a different injector and go from there. I guess I was worried my DME might have some issues.... one thing at a time... I know. Any thoughts on my fuel pressure reading 17? I'll upload the couple logs I have even though they're not correct 3rd gear 2k to redline pulls. I realize it's pointless until I give you guys some actual numbers logged to view. Hey... thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-29-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW335
That's more or less what I was thinking. I'm going to swap in a different injector and go from there. I guess I was worried my DME might have some issues.... one thing at a time... I know. Any thoughts on my fuel pressure reading 17? I'll upload the couple logs I have even though they're not correct 3rd gear 2k to redline pulls. I realize it's pointless until I give you guys some actual numbers logged to view. Hey... thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.
That is a bit high to be honest but I would get the other issues sorted before I worry too much about that reading. A stuck injector could affect your pressure reading, Another common issue is the fuel pressure sensor.

07 E92 335i (the Alpträum) | Alpine wht/ Seibon carbon hood/ trunk| M parallel wheels| street tires
FBO| modified oem airbox lid w/K&N drop-in| stock turbos/ stock inlets| Walbro 465lph LPFP| Jb4/mhd backend flash| Map 6 w/E60 No Meth| Built and tuned by me.
(#7)
Old

Default 05-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiN54
That is a bit high to be honest but I would get the other issues sorted before I worry too much about that reading. A stuck injector could affect your pressure reading, Another common issue is the fuel pressure sensor.
Ok... swapped out cylinder 6 index 1 injector for an index 10 and input new injector values with INPA. Also installed new NGK plugs (one step colder than stock) and all is well for now.
ManiN54... question for you.... in your opinion what's the best way to correct the lean condition due to ctls **'s? The old plugs are showing a lean condition (tan in color/no oil) and I've yet to find a definitive answer on how to correct the o2 sensor readings. No mil light but when I read codes with jb4 it always comes back with a "ctls ** detected" code.
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ok... swapped out cylinder 6 index 1 injector for an index 10 and input new injector values with INPA. Also installed new NGK plugs (one step colder than stock) and all is well for now.
ManiN54... question for you.... in your opinion what's the best way to correct the lean condition due to ctls **'s? The old plugs are showing a lean condition (tan in color/no oil) and I've yet to find a definitive answer on how to correct the o2 sensor readings. No mil light but when I read codes with jb4 it always comes back with a "ctls ** detected" code.
Can you post a log please?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 05-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Tan in color does not determine a lean condition, if it is tan in color and otherwise clean - no carbon buildup, it is normal. As for the codes you are getting; you will not avoid that if you are ********* unless you have the proper backend flash. Note that these setting are designed for off-road/track only vehicles.

As Dave requested; post up some logs and you can be further guided in the right direction.
Food for thought; always go for index 11 or 12 when buying new injectors. Also make sure your plugs are gapped correctly. 0.022” in your case.

(#10)
Old

Default Log review - 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Running E33 @ 95-97 octane (don't have a test kit yet so the octane rating is a guestimation assuming the E85 was 100-105 octane).
5 gallons E85 / 11 gallons 93 octane.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-07-14 14_20_33_Gear-3_Map-5.csv (20.4 KB, 85 views)
(#11)
Old

Default 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Planning on doing the pump BEF tonight.
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Planning on doing the pump BEF tonight.
Load the pump flash- it’ll help big time with the trims

Keep an eye on your LPFP, try and stay around e30 or so for now

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#13)
Old

Default 07-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Load the pump flash- it’ll help big time with the trims

Keep an eye on your LPFP, try and stay around e30 or so for now
Will do.. . Thanks for the reply!
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Will do.. . Thanks for the reply!

throw up a log when done

Burger Motorsports