N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Bmw 328i F30
Default N20 Meth kit. - 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Anyone here used the Methanol kit that BMS offers, I want to know how hard the installation is, anyone dyno'd before & after. please share your experience even if not a Meth kit owner lol

F30 328i - 8 auto.. JB4+FF+EWG, OCC, Injen Intake+scoop, AFE dp, AA axle-back - H&R springs, H&R rear SB - Front Strut - F&R BMS spacers..
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 320i
Default 06-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded
Anyone here used the Methanol kit that BMS offers, I want to know how hard the installation is, anyone dyno'd before & after. please share your experience even if not a Meth kit owner lol
I was about to ask the same question.

Terry, can you tell us more about the benefits of using meth or alcohol/water solution? I know that it cools the air and is somewhat like a octane booster.

I have a 320 with EWG and run 100RON / 90MON on a daily basis.
Will I benefit from meth spray (performance wise)? Not until EWG is available? Or not even with EWG control?

Thanks
(#3)
Old

Car: E92 335i, E30 327i
Default 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM

I installed a meth kit on the N20, we haven't installed yet the ewg cables and the meth kit is not set propertly but the car has 325whp at 93 octanes right now.

Mk7 Gti Dsg: 298whp
E30 332i: Race Car.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernflex
I installed a meth kit on the N20, we haven't installed yet the ewg cables and the meth kit is not set propertly but the car has 325whp at 93 octanes right now.
Seriously? That's amazing!

How is that possible? AFAIK around 320hp is the maximum Terry was able to achieve using race gas, and that was on a N20 with the pneumatic waste gate.
Did you dyno before the meth kit on the same dyno?
How is the boost curve? Can you post the logs?

What other performance mods do you have?

Last edited by marcoac14; 06-09-2014 at 08:42 PM..
(#5)
Old

Default 06-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Tell us more, was it hard to install ? did you manage this 325whp on just the JB4 & Meth kit or what else you had ?

F30 328i - 8 auto.. JB4+FF+EWG, OCC, Injen Intake+scoop, AFE dp, AA axle-back - H&R springs, H&R rear SB - Front Strut - F&R BMS spacers..
(#6)
Old

Default 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM

The installation is pretty much the same you need a chargepipe to do it correctly and the Bms kit has everything else, I'm still not using the ewg cables at this moment and I don't have more details.

The dyno graphic doesn't have boost recorded or a jb4 log because the owner just did a quick pull because he felt his car faster.

(#7)
Old

Default 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
The installation is pretty much the same you need a chargepipe to do it correctly and the Bms kit has everything else, I'm still not using the ewg cables at this moment and I don't have more details.

The dyno graphic doesn't have boost recorded or a jb4 log because the owner just did a quick pull because he felt his car faster.

Thanks. That was on a 328?
(#8)
Old

Default 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Yes!

This is very poor information, I have been so busy that I haven't been able to work in the car.

Just as a reference Im a dealer for Bms products in Puerto Rico.

(#9)
Old

Car: F31 328XI N20 03/2013
Default 06-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Which charge pipe did you use to install the methanol injectors?
Or did you drill in the oem charge pipe?

F31 | 328XI | N20B20A | 03/2013 | JB4 Stage 2 | Map 2 | FF Wires | 4" DP | Wagner Comp FMIC | Pipercross drop in | OCC | KW V2
Bid assistance in Germany for troubleshooting, coding, alpina flash, ecu tuning etc.
(#10)
Old

Car: X1
Default Meth on X1 N20 - 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM

I am in the process of adding the following to my X1 s2.8:

BMS: JB4, EWG harness/Meth and ER's DP/CP.

It'll be a few weeks, but I will post info.

You might want to read this article about Evolution Racewerks tuned N20:

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/257

I haven't decided yet if I'll add the FMIC.

BSchulte
X1, s2.8, JB4,EWG, BMS Meth at 100%, ER DP/CP/FMIC
Xenon Fog lights, rear fog, Wilson repeater, hood sound dampener, blackened grill, phone adapter removed, Style 400M staggered 18" wheels
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM

We have N20 meth support..

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Default 07-21-2014, 11:11 PM

I am up and running meth on my X1 sDrive 2.8. I had the wires mixed up for several runs so the solenoid didn't open, so I can give you parameters on exactly what changed with meth added to my current set up. When I ran logs I noticed that my car was cruising at about 20F over ambient temperature, (125f with intercooler). Then I would slow down to 2,200 rpm's in 3rd gear and accelerate to the shift point I noticed my intake air temperature would drop rapidly to 90F. I am running 100% ethanol in Terry's trunk tank, and only have 91 fuel here in AZ. I would recommend the charge pipe. I did install the front mount intercooler from evolution racewerks. I had them do the install, and with their down pipe, intercooler and Terry's JB4 I quickly hit my cars top-end limiter of 135mph on the way home. Previously, it taken quite a long stretch to get it to 120mph. I put on some wider tires, style 400M, to keep the back end from breaking loose so easily. I am planning on experimenting with a 30% ethanol mixture and then doing a dyno run to post here.

BSchulte
Xenon Fog lights, rear fog, Wilson repeater, hood sound dampener, blackened grill, phone adapter removed, Style 400M staggered 18" wheels
(#13)
Old

Default 07-22-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchulte
I am up and running meth on my X1 sDrive 2.8. I had the wires mixed up for several runs so the solenoid didn't open, so I can give you parameters on exactly what changed with meth added to my current set up. When I ran logs I noticed that my car was cruising at about 20F over ambient temperature, (125f with intercooler). Then I would slow down to 2,200 rpm's in 3rd gear and accelerate to the shift point I noticed my intake air temperature would drop rapidly to 90F. I am running 100% ethanol in Terry's trunk tank, and only have 91 fuel here in AZ. I would recommend the charge pipe. I did install the front mount intercooler from evolution racewerks. I had them do the install, and with their down pipe, intercooler and Terry's JB4 I quickly hit my cars top-end limiter of 135mph on the way home. Previously, it taken quite a long stretch to get it to 120mph. I put on some wider tires, style 400M, to keep the back end from breaking loose so easily. I am planning on experimenting with a 30% ethanol mixture and then doing a dyno run to post here.
That's great but I have some questions, how come you have ethanol in methanol tank ? I thought max ethanol can be 30%.. please give me review about this ER intercooler because I'm planning on it, what's the weight over stock & how much improvement did you get ect ?

(#14)
Old

Default 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Oops! I meant 100% methanol in the Meth trunk mount kit I bought it for $3/gal at Speedway race fuels at 2300 W. Broadway in Phoenix. They sell it in 5 Gallon increments if you bring your own container. I am guessing someone near a track where you live also sells it. Try googling "Sunoco Race Fuels".

I am a big fan of Fred Su at Evolution Racewerks: (626.814.3403). Christine answers the phones and has most of their products on her own car. Fred will answer questions too! Here is a link to an article about their tuning of a 328.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=747669

This dyno run was on the jb stage 1 and no fmic. I did not dyno my car between each mod. I took my car to them for install in Baldwin Park, CA and then drove it home to PHoenix. On the way back I was in MAP 2, and had the fmic and dp. (I also had the ewg harness, ER cp and Meth but did not have those connected at the time). I noticed a significant improvement in accerleration and was amazed by how easily I hit the top speed limiter. Terry then helped me get the EWG harness programmed and then we added in the meth injection and I use MAP 3 now. I thought about Snow's boost juice, but at $8/gal it's not economical vs. straight meth.

I can't answer your questions about weight savings over stock, call Fred and he will give you the details. I can tell you that he is candid and honest. He gave me good advice on what to save money on and what would make sense to add to the car. He is an enthusiast and artist.

BSchulte
(#15)
Old

Default 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Here is link to their June 2014 test of their 328 with JB4 and intercooler. 312 rwhp.

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/257

BSchulte
(#16)
Old

Default 07-24-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Oops! I meant 100% methanol in the Meth trunk mount kit I bought it for $3/gal at Speedway race fuels at 2300 W. Broadway in Phoenix. They sell it in 5 Gallon increments if you bring your own container. I am guessing someone near a track where you live also sells it. Try googling "Sunoco Race Fuels".

I am a big fan of Fred Su at Evolution Racewerks: (626.814.3403). Christine answers the phones and has most of their products on her own car. Fred will answer questions too! Here is a link to an article about their tuning of a 328.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=747669

This dyno run was on the jb stage 1 and no fmic. I did not dyno my car between each mod. I took my car to them for install in Baldwin Park, CA and then drove it home to PHoenix. On the way back I was in MAP 2, and had the fmic and dp. (I also had the ewg harness, ER cp and Meth but did not have those connected at the time). I noticed a significant improvement in accerleration and was amazed by how easily I hit the top speed limiter. Terry then helped me get the EWG harness programmed and then we added in the meth injection and I use MAP 3 now. I thought about Snow's boost juice, but at $8/gal it's not economical vs. straight meth.

I can't answer your questions about weight savings over stock, call Fred and he will give you the details. I can tell you that he is candid and honest. He gave me good advice on what to save money on and what would make sense to add to the car. He is an enthusiast and artist.
ah well, I will get methanol if they can ship it to Egypt lol
Thanks for the number, I couldn't find it on their website. so far all the FMIC weight are over stock no weight saving
can you tell me on map3 what is the boost with methanol ?!
Thanks again

(#17)
Old

Default FMIC and the Desert - 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Rustyminded,

My peak booth with 100% methanol is 21.8, I can send you the data logs if you are interested. I found the fmic/dp from ER had a significant impact on my cars responsiveness and ability to pull all the way to 135mph. I don't think the weight savings is the benefit of the fmic. If you want to save weight, get rid of the two large plastic pieces that cover the microfilter box and add Burger's microfilter. This will save 20lbs and give you a more aggressive sound in the cabin ... if you like that. The fmic has twice the surface area and more cooling fins per square inch than stock, (don't quote me but it's something like going from 12 to 16 fins per square inch ... quoting memory here). The big gain is keeping your intake air down. I live in Phoenix, where it is 115F today. With the fmic my intake air is only 20F to 25F above ambient temperature in cruise. With the throttle wide open, when I am doing 3rd gear logs, the temperature drops to 25F below ambient by the time I reach 4th gear!! (running 100% meth). The FMIC is a fairly easy install in the 328. You may need to do some trimming, but I saw some good videos on how to install it. You can probably get Meth where ever they sale race gas, or there are some threads on alternative industrial products that are available. Fred will answer your calls or emails at ER.

BSchulte
(#18)
Old

Default 07-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Rustyminded,

My peak booth with 100% methanol is 21.8, I can send you the data logs if you are interested. I found the fmic/dp from ER had a significant impact on my cars responsiveness and ability to pull all the way to 135mph. I don't think the weight savings is the benefit of the fmic. If you want to save weight, get rid of the two large plastic pieces that cover the microfilter box and add Burger's microfilter. This will save 20lbs and give you a more aggressive sound in the cabin ... if you like that. The fmic has twice the surface area and more cooling fins per square inch than stock, (don't quote me but it's something like going from 12 to 16 fins per square inch ... quoting memory here). The big gain is keeping your intake air down. I live in Phoenix, where it is 115F today. With the fmic my intake air is only 20F to 25F above ambient temperature in cruise. With the throttle wide open, when I am doing 3rd gear logs, the temperature drops to 25F below ambient by the time I reach 4th gear!! (running 100% meth). The FMIC is a fairly easy install in the 328. You may need to do some trimming, but I saw some good videos on how to install it. You can probably get Meth where ever they sale race gas, or there are some threads on alternative industrial products that are available. Fred will answer your calls or emails at ER.
ah, I wonder if it's safe to use with RON92 or it would need RON95 as min.
ya please post your log here or send it, the problem about weight saving is I changed the axle-back and dp which removed 10 kg but then added Injen intake which is aluminum much heavier than stock one about 3-5 kg heavier but I got very sharp throttle response besides the strut which added another 2 kg, so I am worried about weight distribution... so what I did today I removed the intake aluminum heat shield, engine acoustic foam and cover about 4.5 kg !!! I'm still worried about dirt.

what do you mean by large plastic, do you mean cowl cover ? i think this is only in E series models

(#19)
Old

Default 07-24-2014, 01:12 PM

Yes, you are right. These intake cowls are for the E series. Here is a link:

http://www.burgertuning.com/cowl_fil...w_135_335.html

You may want to email Terry to see if there is a kit coming for your F30.

BSchulte
(#20)
Old

Car: F31 328XI N20 03/2013
Default 07-24-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:

I donīt think so.
On F30 it`s a different builtup...

Could you post some pictures of your meth install?

Thanks!

F31 | 328XI | N20B20A | 03/2013 | JB4 Stage 2 | Map 2 | FF Wires | 4" DP | Wagner Comp FMIC | Pipercross drop in | OCC | KW V2
Bid assistance in Germany for troubleshooting, coding, alpina flash, ecu tuning etc.
(#21)
Old

Default 07-25-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:

Tell me, about the Methanol would you be able to switch to normal gas, what if you ran out of Methanol ?!

(#22)
Old

Default 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Tell me, about the Methanol would you be able to switch to normal gas, what if you ran out of Methanol ?!
AFAIK it's smart enough to sense when you run out of meth and it should reduce boost target.
(#23)
Old

Default 07-25-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14
AFAIK it's smart enough to sense when you run out of meth and it should reduce boost target.
you didn't get my question, I mean what if I want to reserve it for events only and already poured some in the tank, can I switch it off for later use or it's like gas tank always in use with no switch ?

(#24)
Old

Default 07-25-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
you didn't get my question, I mean what if I want to reserve it for events only and already poured some in the tank, can I switch it off for later use or it's like gas tank always in use with no switch ?
Oops, my bad.

You can do that. I think you just need to switch to another map or change some parameters on the settings tab. I'm not the best person to help you because I do not have meth injection yet.
(#25)
Old

Default 12-20-2014, 07:02 PM

To save your meth or maximize fuel economy switch from Map 3 to map 2. That will keep the meth pump from turning on.

BSchulte