N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default 1/4 mile: Kickdown vs. Manual w/AT, PS2 - 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM

Want to see what kind of time I can manage at the drag strip, but I don't really want to spend on a helmet right now. (Headroom's an issue, Stilo's are reportedly the lowest, and they're $915.) So I may only get one run.

Since I have PS2 and power is fine to 6500, I thought maybe just flooring it to kickdown might be best, but otoh my DME is stock, and logs show throttle starts to ease off right at 6500. Therefore that's where I try to shift. Iirc kickdown waits until 7000.

I'm guessing manual is faster if I get it right at 6500, but maybe not if I'm sloppy. Has someone with an upgraded turbo tried both methods?

xdrive btw, so I'm not worried about traction. I always leave DSC on and it's come on twice in 10 months. I don't seem to have launch control.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 535i (N55 F10)
Default 05-19-2018, 03:30 PM

I always manual shift around 6K, it does a better job of keeping the car where it has power. On average, the gearshift drops around 1k RPM, so the engine stays between 5-6k.

2013 F10 535i N55 PWG, Pure Stage 2, Wagner FMIC, ER Charge pipe, ER **, BMS Intake, JB4, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, Fuel-It Platinum PI Kit, BootMod3 Flash, Remus Exhaust, Custom In-let, N20 TMAP.
1999 e36 M3 - Track Car
(#3)
Old

Default 05-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer
I always manual shift around 6K, it does a better job of keeping the car where it has power. On average, the gearshift drops around 1k RPM, so the engine stays between 5-6k.
Thanks. I guess that's the plan for now.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM

I always run manual and I shift at 6,800 in all gears. I launch the car in 2nd gear. The power you make with the gearing advantage in a lower gear should be greater than being at peak power in a higher gear. The exception to this would be the stock turbo as is falls off really hard.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
12.6 @ 112MPH 92 Octane | 11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD
Back to stock

2014 E84 X1 35i 13.9 @ 99MPH 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ
ER Chargepipe | BMS Intake |
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Sounds like the Dragy is going to be something you might want then. You don't need to worry about the tech or helmet etc. Very accurate and used by many worldwide.

http://www.burgertuning.com/dragy_gp...nce_meter.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Sounds like the Dragy is going to be something you might want then. You don't need to worry about the tech or helmet etc. Very accurate and used by many worldwide.

http://www.burgertuning.com/dragy_gp...nce_meter.html
Does it come with a cop radio jammer? At least a bluetooth oil slick sprayer...
(#7)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi rpm
Does it come with a cop radio jammer? At least a bluetooth oil slick sprayer...
Unfortunately, no. Don't ask how I know.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Unfortunately, no. Don't ask how I know.
Ahh, lol. Gotta be on a closed course next time . How are you liking it though, neat toy right?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Ahh, lol. Gotta be on a closed course next time . How are you liking it though, neat toy right?
Its fun to play with. Wish my times were better, but the dang X3 won't launch.. the throttle is dead off the line, even brake torquing.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Its fun to play with. Wish my times were better, but the dang X3 won't launch.. the throttle is dead off the line, even brake torquing.
Interesting, have you tried 1ft rolling to see if it's a difference?

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Interesting, have you tried 1ft rolling to see if it's a difference?
I'm thinking its the wheels. Not easy to get 20's going. That's the one difference I would have made if I had special ordered the car, smaller wheels.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i