N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 E60/535i AT — FBO+WMI
Default Is alignment same for a lowered car?? - 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM

Hi.

I put coilovers on my E60 and dropped it down quite a bit, probably about an inch and a half from the already lowered M sport stance.

{After I installed them, I brought it to my local tire place to get an alignment done. When I picked up the car he showed me a computer printout showing that everything was at zero except for one wheel which couldn't be corrected to zero; the camber was off by a hair (0.01?? I forget)}

Anyways, my question is this: do the alignment specs change for a lowered car or do they stay the same? Should something have been adjusted considering the car sits much lower than oem? (I know NOTHING about alignments! Lol)

Thanks.

// Radar //

Name:  IMG_6127.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  122.9 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) , VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#2)
Old

Default 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM

No one knows, or it's just that dumb of a question? Lol

2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) , VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-18-2017, 08:36 PM

The specs themselves will stay the same. The amount of change in them per unit of wheel deflection will change however...

ianc
(#4)
Old

Default 09-21-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc
The specs themselves will stay the same. The amount of change in them per unit of wheel deflection will change however...

ianc
So, I'm really ignorant with this stuff in particular, so you're saying...
If a garage looks up the specs for my car with a factory oem setup, and sets everything up going by those specs then my car will be properly aligned. It will just take more "movement" of my custom setup to get it there?

(#5)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
If a garage looks up the specs for my car with a factory oem setup, and sets everything up going by those specs then my car will be properly aligned.
Yes, although 'correct' is a moving target. Are you trying to optimize for handling? You definitely need more camber than the factory setting, which is optimized for tire wear. Toe is subjective: more gives more stability, less improves response. Google is your friend...

Quote:
It will just take more "movement" of my custom setup to get it there?
No. Generally, the lower the car is, the more the suspension geometry changes for a given suspension deflection while driving.

ianc
(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM

alignment specs are when car is static.
However lowering changes the angles and motions of suspension while turning and driving. so even with same static alignment specs as stock, the car may feel or handle differently that at higher ride height.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#7)
Old

Default 10-05-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
However lowering changes the angles and motions of suspension while turning and driving. so even with same static alignment specs as stock, the car may feel or handle differently that at higher ride height.
So, if someone really knew what they were doing with my car, would they set up the alignment according to the oem specs for a non-lowered car, or would they “know” to deviate from those and adjust it differently on purpose?

If so, do you know what they would change?

(#8)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-06-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarContact
So, if someone really knew what they were doing with my car, would they set up the alignment according to the oem specs for a non-lowered car, or would they “know” to deviate from those and adjust it differently on purpose?

If so, do you know what they would change?
It would probably take a suspension expert like a road-race shop to accurately guess how a lowered set-up would need to be tuned to maximize dynamic handling characteristics through changing the static alignment settings, based on what you are looking for.

No idea how it would need to change - but to avoid excessive tire wear and for a DD, I'd start with OEM settings or close to it. Then go from there.
i.e. car feels dull/numb on turn-in, decrease front camber; or if it feels unstable, then increase toe a little. etc.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#9)
Old

Car: Audi A5
Default 10-08-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Pretty much this. Even though the specs stay the same, the car will feel differently. Don't think it's a massive difference though, but you will definitely notice it