N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default Intake Cooling with Compressed Air? - 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Not supercharging, just cooling. I was overthinking car modding, specifically the idea of using a little nitrous pre-turbo to cool the intake air, increasing turbo efficiency and reducing intake manifold air temp. Plus it's nitrous, so more power. But I wouldn't want to use much, and of course it's one more thing to go wrong and blow the engine.

If the intake cooling effect of N2O is from reducing the pressure from compressed to uncompressed, could you do the same thing with compressed air? You could go crazy with the flow, like a "500 shot" equivalent, and I think it's pretty cheap to fill a cylinder.

They say if you can think of it it's been done, but I don't know.
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 08-02-2018, 11:49 AM

To be sure I understand, are you proposing using just compressed air?

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#3)
Old

Default 08-02-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
To be sure I understand, are you proposing using just compressed air?
Yeah.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM

I am sure there's a way to do it. But it wouldn't be super effective as you would only get the cooling properties, and not the added benefit of high concentration of oxygen per volume than standard atmosphere. You could probably mickey mouse a special cooling setup for the intercooler to circulate the expanding nos, but not actually go into the intake itself. But personally I would be concerned with temperatures that cold being circulated in a condenser like product, it might cause uneven expanding and potentially cracks. Personally, I would like to see super cooled methanol, or even chilled fuel which is actually performed in some drag racing classes. similar effect to chilled water intercooler(bag of ice/dry ice etc).

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#5)
Old

Default 08-02-2018, 02:25 PM

If I have a bunch of money I don't want I'll have to try it. Basically get a simple dry nitrous kit and rig it to take scuba tanks and spray at full throttle. What could go wrong...